Engine Removal

Paul Carrera

I'm only around the corner and willing to come and give advice  :)

Not that I have any Porsche engine removal experience. I did make 1 VW beetle out of 2 a very long time ago though. By the time it was finished I could get the engine - gearbox out of that on my own in about 15 minutes.

Be careful I might just take you up on that offer, although if i do anything wrong my wife usually points it out...

I'm torn between going on the run on Sunday or sacrificing it to get started on the drop, so far there more reasons to go on the run then not -_-  

I'm going to pull mine to rebuild the gearbox soon. Has anyone raised the rear, put the stands under the torsen bar ends and left the front on the ground? Is it just easier to raise the whole car nice and high?

When I did my engine last year this is the approach I started with. However, I found that it was difficult to get the rear high enough with the front on the ground. Leveling by lifting the front a little also helped to clear the gear change linkage from the body when sliding the eng./trans back.

I still had to remove the rear bumper assembly to get the required height over the engine once it was dropped.

When I did my engine last year this is the approach I started with. However, I found that it was difficult to get the rear high enough with the front on the ground. Leveling by lifting the front a little also helped to clear the gear change linkage from the body when sliding the eng./trans back.

I still had to remove the rear bumper assembly to get the required height over the engine once it was dropped.

Yes when I removed my engine & gearbox I left the front end on the ground. It was tight but I managed to slide both engine & gearbox out. 1 Thing I did slightly differently was use an engine hoist connected from above the motor, to drop it onto a trolley on the ground. I had to take the deck lid off to get access. The below link was most helpful.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_engine_drop/911_engine_drop-1.htm

Thanks, good advice. Hopefully I won't have the rear bumper issue being a 67, but I suppose I'll only know once I'm there. 

Archived