Engine Removal

Paul Carrera

I have just received my new clutch parts and am getting ready to drop the engine in the next few weeks.

Haven't  done this before on a 911 but after having a good look around the engine bay and reading up online it doesn't appear to tricky. My main concern is how to lower the engine safely so just wondering how others have done it and any tips on removal would be appreciated.

I could take it in to have done but I enjoy doing the work myself if I can 

Host a drop party.   Get a couple of extra hands and eyes to help.  Preferably someone who has been there before.   Good jack stands and a quality jack or lift table to lower the engine/trans down.  Above all, take your time and be safe. 

Paul

I've just put my motor back in and it took less than 30 mins with a mate helping.

As above- Go buy or loan a motorcycle lift - most helpful. I modded the lift by extending the lifting surfaces with some HWD. Kinda like forklift tines. Helped to balance the transmission. Also have another trolley jack at hand and at least one extra set of hands.

Not tricky, but remember make sure everything is disconnected. If in doubt take photos of all the wiring etc to help with the putting back together.

Good German sausage and beer helps to.

It's a very easy job to do if you get everything ready before you make a start. IE in no real order but food for thought.

• Have the car at a height that the fan and intake will clear the rear of the car when you go to pull it out.
  • Use a second set of eyes the first time you pull it out or put it back in to check your work.
  • Drop the oil the night before you pull it out.
  • Place rear tyres under the car as a 3rd control for safety.
  • Place some rubber gloves over CV's to keep dirt out of the grease.
  • Take your time. Enjoy the challange and don't hurt yourself.

I recommend getting or borrowing an engine adaptor if you've got a trolley jack. It makes it all very easy and there's virtually no lifting/managing heavy loads.

PP has them for sale.

I had a look at the engine adapters and they seem the way to go, and since I have to wait for fcp to replace one of the clutch parts that arrived damaged I will have time to fabricate one up

I was planning to remove just the engine and leave the gearbox in place but a few people are suggesting removing both....any sugestions

post-1188-0-41950400-1402057661_thumb.jp

Easy job on most older Porsches. Get a good list of to do items from Pelican Forum and just take your time. I have a hoist so I just roll a dolly under the motor, remove the 4 bolts and raise the hoist. With a trolley jack and car stands it is also not hard. Take both engine and gearbox together or you will be cursing later. Make sure you cover off the CVs and tie them up or they can foul the engine removal process.

A thing many forget is to take the grub screw out of the gear shaft.

Once you have done it once you will have no fears next time.

I'm going to pull mine to rebuild the gearbox soon. Has anyone raised the rear, put the stands under the torsen bar ends and left the front on the ground? Is it just easier to raise the whole car nice and high?

My plan is to raise the whole car reasonably high and level which should make the removal easier and then lower the front when the engine is down which should raise the rear enough to pull the engine out.

This is only my theory and as of yet have not done it so will let you know how it goes

I'm going to pull mine to rebuild the gearbox soon. Has anyone raised the rear, put the stands under the torsen bar ends and left the front on the ground? Is it just easier to raise the whole car nice and high?

Can't wait for the build thread on the gearbox. Mine is in need of first and second gear syncros.

Can't wait for the build thread on the gearbox. Mine is in need of first and second gear syncros.

You should consider coming to Dr Evils gearbox rebuild clinic in a few months.

I too have the need to drop my E&T for a few jobs, anyone got one of those jack adaptors they are willing to sell,hire or loan?

Or a good opportunity for 3 Queenslanders in need of one to split the cost of buying one....

Damm descent of you sir,all i need now is the motivation :blink:

I'm only around the corner and willing to come and give advice  :)

Not that I have any Porsche engine removal experience. I did make 1 VW beetle out of 2 a very long time ago though. By the time it was finished I could get the engine - gearbox out of that on my own in about 15 minutes.

Archived