Insurance cost

Guest Harold

Received my renewal for the insurance yesterday. $3,500 for agreed value of $225k with 60% no claim. Thoughts?

Without knowing all the information e.g your age,driving record/use, address,policy benifits etc. its hard to really say if the $3500 is good price or not.

If it was my car (I wish :wub: ) and bill I would certainly get a few different quotes, but be careful that you don't compare just the prices you need to ensure all the products you consider all have comparative benefits I.E Agreed Value,choice of repairer etc.

My thoughts for what there are worth....

Porsche insurance wanted an obscene amount of money to insure me... I'm with Lumleys and just renewed... Compared against Shannon's too and Shannon's were more expensive (slightly) but lesser cover.

I'm still keen to see if I can save a $$ or two elsewhere... I've got mine on limited usage which brings the premium down, I know you don't drive yours a lot so this might be of value to you too Harold?

Porsche insurance wanted an obscene amount of money to insure me... I'm with Lumleys and just renewed... Compared against Shannon's too and Shannon's were more expensive (slightly) but lesser cover.

I'm still keen to see if I can save a $$ or two elsewhere... I've got mine on limited usage which brings the premium down, I know you don't drive yours a lot so this might be of value to you too Harold?

How do they know how often you drive your car?

Hugh,

Generally, limited usage allows you to drive your car 8000 klms per year. 

They reduce the premium as it's not a daily driver and not on the road as often. 

The quote for my car was $300 cheaper for limited usage....

I'm with Suncorp.

My latest insurance quote was $1,056.

I rang around and got varying premiums and excess levels.

One, APIA (you have to be working part time to qualify) was cheaper. I rang Suncorp back and they ' found ' a better price. EOFY discount $929. Quickest $127 I've made to date.

I'm with Suncorp.

My latest insurance quote was $1,056.

I rang around and got varying premiums and excess levels.

One, APIA (you have to be working part time to qualify) was cheaper. I rang Suncorp back and they ' found ' a better price. EOFY discount $929. Quickest $127 I've made to date.

APIA and Suncorp Insurance are both part of the Suncorp Group, the Apia and Suncorp sales person were probably sitting next to each other in the call centre :P

APIA and Suncorp Insurance are both part of the Suncorp Group, the Apia and Suncorp sales person were probably sitting next to each other in the call centre :P

Yes, both under written by AAI. They admitted that.

Saved me bucks to pay for my cat back system.

Will definitely give them a go. It is true I don't drive it very much, perhaps once a week and that is less than 40kms.

I'm keen to hear how they quote you. The moderate usage policy should suffice in that case (up to 3 times a week IIRC)

I'm on limited (twice a month) and I don't even do that... Unfortunately

Guest Harold

what an interesting exercise. I spoke to Shannons and on their limited driving policy it was cheaper so i decided to call and chat to Porsche Insurance who realised i qualified for the twice a week drivers policy and reduced the cost.

So far:

1. Initial Porsche Insurance quote $3,551.88

2. Shannons limited driving quote $3,118.55

3. Porsche Insurance twice a week policy $2,741.12

I have asked Lumleys for a quote but have not yet heard back.

Lumleys declined to quote as the value is too high for them.

So porsche insurance it is yet again.

Bit stupid if they have value thresholds IMO.... I got some BS from Shannons too with regards to value, I'm sure they insure cars much more expensive than mine!  :rolleyes:

Well.. that's not a bad outcome anyway mate, $800~ straight in the pocket. 

Guest Harold

Bit stupid if they have value thresholds IMO.... I got some BS from Shannons too with regards to value, I'm sure they insure cars much more expensive than mine!  :rolleyes:

Well.. that's not a bad outcome anyway mate, $800~ straight in the pocket.

I agree.

I did the quotes yesterday on a 2008 C2 997 (at $98K) with Ryno Insurance, Enthusiast Insurance, Suncorp and AAMI and Lumley.  All pretty much the same and between $1,100 and $1,250

• 4 weeks later...

Well I done some research on my own and Porsche insurance was competitive this year, last year I got quoted nearly $7000  :blink:

basically all the same but far more comprehensive cover with Porsche insurance, I haven't officially switched it yet... 

Archived