Hi everyone

Some of you may have picked up that Im looking for a 996 to use as a daily. Every now and then I've been looking at them over the last few years but haven't been looking close enough to see what sells and what hangs around for a long time. Has anyone out there been keeping an eye on the 996 market and know what I should be paying roughly for a 1998-2000 sub 120,000km auto?

As with any Porsche so many variables to consider.....comes down to condition and history. When I was looking for mine last year I noticed a wide range of prices from un-loved cars in the $30-$35k range through to cars that people paid high dollars for many years ago and they sadly cant handle the realities of depreciation (dreamers asking $60k +). 

I'm no expert but a good early 996 auto with reasonable Km's should be attainable for around $35 to $40k anything less and you are looking at suspect or heavily worn cars. IMO if you buy a series 1 car get a later model (say 2000) they have a few tweaks and extra features. FYI you will probably get a car with a double bearing row IMS and that's not a bad thing if you ask me.

I was a cash buyer and looking at cars up to $55k; I paid $46k (after negotiation) for my 2000 C4 manual with full porsche service history (stamped books) and it had 74,000km, its a totally stock car with no mods - before me :- )

I paid a little more mainly because the interior was in very good condition, these cars seem to wear hard on the interior front.

Regardless of what the haters say (fried egg headlights, boxter dna, IMS, blah blah) these are fantastic, fast cars and probably one of the best value used cars on the market given they can be had for Commodore money

You are more than welcome to poke around mine if you are interested

Dave

Thanks heaps for your help everyone. Checked out a fine example today and agreed on a price which I think is fair for both of us. Gets a PPI on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Archived