Kids in the back of a 911

Cal

You'll need a blue plate so it's 'engineered' to have rear seatbelts. In case of an accident without it your insurance will be invalid.

TD Automotive fit seatbelts all the time (including a few weeks ago to a Targa that'd never had front belts, or even the holes!) they'd be who i'd talk to for that job, they'll have a contact for blue plates they'll get to come in and certify it too

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need a blue plate so it's 'engineered' to have rear seatbelts. In case of an accident without it your insurance will be invalid.

TD Automotive fit seatbelts all the time (including a few weeks ago to a Targa that'd never had front belts, or even the holes!) they'd be who i'd talk to for that job, they'll have a contact for blue plates they'll get to come in and certify it too

I did speak to td about it while the vehicle in question was in their shop but they didn't look into it.

Does your targa have child restraint anchors? Any chance of a pic what they look like if they are there? I assume not given the age.

I don't think child restraint anchors are that common until the carrera 3.2 - i definately don't have them

if the works already done and just not 'blue plated' I think you'll be paying the $220 and getting the guy to certify the work. I wouldn't be restraining my children with something that hasn't passed engineering inspection...

I don't think child restraint anchors are that common until the carrera 3.2 - i definately don't have them

if the works already done and just not 'blue plated' I think you'll be paying the $220 and getting the guy to certify the work. I wouldn't be restraining my children with something that hasn't passed engineering inspection...

Work is not done, no restraints in place.

Anyone with a Carreras that has restraint anchors?

Most baby seat retailers should have the installation kits. As far as blue plates go, these can be placed in the door jam or up under the hood and they just come out to inspect. I've had to do this with my old car a number of times. Lap sash is sufficiant for a baby seat with its own 4 point harness. Challenge is to find one to fit in the back of a two seater.

Cheers Theo Z...............

Try this guy, He did mine.

http://www.barryanaccessory.com/

• 2 months later...

Yes. Have an Aussie 84 carrera and has factory anchor points. Remove the speaker grills / speaker and under some sound deadening material you will find the thread for the bolt.

In front of the speaker, between the speaker and the top of the padded rear seat back thing?

I haven't done this yet - other things have taken priority - but loading up the kids is something I need to be doing.   What I want to do is get it looking as original and authentic as is possible, by copying the later models.

In front of the speaker, between the speaker and the top of the padded rear seat back thing?

I haven't done this yet - other things have taken priority - but loading up the kids is something I need to be doing.   What I want to do is get it looking as original and authentic as is possible, by copying the later models.

They should be under rear parcel shelf cover (well for 3.2s anyway, hopefully same for SC), few screws removes this. They are at top of  firewall in front of where speakers are located. The actual anchors are most likely not there, but there should be threaded holes that they can just screw into (as Smule said you may have to remove some deadening material to find them). Is your car Australian delivered? If not, you may only have the holes without the thread underneath. If you find them to be there with the thread welded underneath the hole, the only thing left to do after screwing in anchors is to cut small square holes in the vertical face of the parcel shelf to allow seat strap to pass through when you put the shelf back. you can  then but covers for these cut outs for when seats are not in use.

you can see the location of the cut outs/covers in this (for 964, but gives you idea of location, etc)...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-964-Black-Leather-Coupe-Rear-Parcel-Shelf-Package-Tray-Leather-90-94-/221424645238?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338deff476

hope this makes sense?

I'll aim to get a pic up next week to show exact location...

They should be under rear parcel shelf cover (well for 3.2s anyway, hopefully same for SC), few screws removes this. They are at top of  firewall in front of where speakers are located. The actual anchors are most likely not there, but there should be threaded holes that they can just screw into (as Smule said you may have to remove some deadening material to find them). Is your car Australian delivered? If not, you may only have the holes without the thread underneath. If you find them to be there with the thread welded underneath the hole, the only thing left to do after screwing in anchors is to cut small square holes in the vertical face of the parcel shelf to allow seat strap to pass through when you put the shelf back. you can  then but covers for these cut outs for when seats are not in use.

you can see the location of the cut outs/covers in this (for 964, but gives you idea of location, etc)...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-964-Black-Leather-Coupe-Rear-Parcel-Shelf-Package-Tray-Leather-90-94-/221424645238?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338deff476

hope this makes sense?

Ok thanks I saw a picture of a similar cover for a 993 and that's where I thought the anchors might be.  Mine is not oz del, it's a yankee car.  I think they still don't put child anchors in.

I tried getting the back seat cover off once - I undid the screws but then couldn't budge it - is there a trick to removing?

I'll aim to get a pic up next week to show exact location...

That would be great.   

If anyone has tips on getting the rear seat/shelf cover out I'll give it a go on the weekend.  I guess even if you get it out there's no way underneath the sound deadening layer to look at the metal without cutting it up?

Ok thanks I saw a picture of a similar cover for a 993 and that's where I thought the anchors might be.  Mine is not oz del, it's a yankee car.  I think they still don't put child anchors in.

I tried getting the back seat cover off once - I undid the screws but then couldn't budge it - is there a trick to removing?

After all screws are out, you need to lift the vertical section straight up as there is a catch/bracket behind it, then the horizontal section just lifts out.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have done more research and poked my head into some later model cars

Does anyone know of the part numbers for the anchor bolt covers (red highlighted section)

91155561501_zpsc09800ec.jpg

Maybe if you've got a later model you could pop one off and take a look at the back for a part number for me?

Also...does anyone know where I could find a parts diagram that perhaps reveals the part number for the underlying bracket?

EDIT: Ignore the front seat belt trim in red - that's just where I pinched the image from

Thanks Scott...found a reference to another thread here

What do you see when you take yours off? Is there an anchor point underneath, or just a screw hole, or does yours still have the insulation stuff?

Edit: found this thread which had excellent reference pictures. It's from a 964, but the principles should apply.

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/212938-australian-or-canadian-964-ers-please-help.html

I wonder if the trim cover is only available in black?

Mine has the holes but no anchors. It has most of the insulation stuff, but I can still see the holes.

Those 964 pics definitely give right idea of location of anchor points.

Have you taken of the parcel shelf trim yet to have a look at what is there in those locations?

Mine has the holes but no anchors. It has most of the insulation stuff, but I can still see the holes.

Those 964 pics definitely give right idea of location of anchor points.

Have you taken of the parcel shelf trim yet to have a look at what is there in those locations?

ahhh...no

No time to open the toolbox, let alone drive, unfortunately.  Will be getting back to this particular project in a week or so.

There's just the bolt hole in there. There's insulation over the top of it but I can't remember if there's a cut out to remove or if there's a hole in the insulation already. You need to provide the anchors and bolts though.

A tip for when you get it all in. Getting your tether strap attached to the anchor points is a real PITA. The access hole isn't really big enough. I ended up not screwing the shelf back in which allows me to lift it up a bit to get the tether hook in. You'll know what I mean once you try it.

Yeah I am certain that I will find nothing but steel under there. Being an import and from before when child anchors were fitted, I doubt very much there will be a bolt hole. But I'm going to open it up and see what I can find, and then seek opinion on what can be done. It might seem pedantic, but I don't want to fit the ugly aftermarket anchor points so I want to make it look factory by using this area and fitting the factory covers. Maybe a hole can be drilled and something mounted, maybe something can be welded on. I'll figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I found these pics on Pelican, which are of an '80 SC Californian car getting rebuilt with a cage.  It shows the underlying steel.

IMG_00071413254865.jpg

IMG_14261413254841.jpg

The bar that runs across the top of the back seats seems to be a separate structure from the engine firewall.  There doesn't appear to be any restraint points in this bar as far as I can see - which is what I would expect.  But it does look as though it might be possible to drill into this without needing access from behind (i.e., without having to partially drop the engine/sound pad).

For reference, this is what mine look like:

IMG_4304_small.JPG

Left hand mount.

IMG_4305_small.JPG

Right hand mount (this is with the parcel shelf cover removed.)

IMG_4462_small.JPG

Parcel shelf cover from underneath showing the cut-outs in the board for where the bolts go through.

IMG_4527_small.JPG

Rear seat belt in place without the cover on …

But did you find any anchor points for a child restraint?

No, but having these means that in my case I don't need them. Child number two will be ready to go into a booster seat in the next couple of months, so I only need three-point belts as the booster doesn't require a restraint.

My point was more that from all the research I'd done before pulling out the shelf cover, my car (1976) shouldn't have these. Well worth digging around to see what's there, and that a California SC from the eighties may not be the best reference point.

Archived