Thinking of becoming the household pet to a Porsche

Hi People,

I'm Aaron and I'm from Newcastle, NSW. I'm a 33 year old car NUT!, I live, breathe, eat, sleep... (and you know the rest) CARS!. I'm not into cars for image or showing off, I just like the sheer pleasure I get from driving, Maintaining, Improving and creating. I'm sure the members of a Porsche forum can relate!.

looking to do a bit of research and see if a Porsche is the right thing for me. I'll be looking to downsize my current stock of cars and introduce a multi-tasking toy to the garage, having never been in any form of Porsche it will be a case of going to car yards to kick the tyres i guess and see what vehicles suit me and what I can rule out. (I will feel guilty though approaching these people with no initial intention of buying... perhaps i can just be straight up with them and offer to buy them a bottle for their trouble)

look forward to reading what you guys have built up on the forum and learning about the various models and designs.

cheers.

Welcome Treay,

You will find a wealth of information on here relating to every type and model of Porsche....

There are so many variables....  old, newer, new..... front engine, mid engine, rear engine.... air cooled, water cooled......

Have a troll through past threads and discussions and you will find other peoples experiences with what you are facing now...

Most of all, don't be afraid to ask any questions.... everyone here is an enthusiast and always happy to help

Good luck in your search and remember........ enjoy the journey..

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll love a Porsche in you garage!!

What's your budget? What type of P car you into?

I didn't have to much of a budget to play with when i was 17, but i ended up with an 86 944 turbo, Best decision i made purchasing my first car! 

Love working on it, modifying it ect. 

Try to drive every car you're interested in!

Yup, do tell us your budget, and don't forget to add in service costs, and insurance costs into your budget.

Also I find the Porsche centers to be very polite and willing to let people drive their cars, at least in Melbourne.Mu

Much easier to get a drive of a Porsche then a Toyota !

Hi Aaron

Enjoy the process & don't rush a purchase.    There's a variety of Porsches out there at all points of the budget so you're sure to find something you like.  If you ever find yourself in Sydney with an hour or two to spare, let me know & I'd be happy for you to check out our cars & give you a rundown of what I think about the various models.  Good luck mate & as others have pointed out, leave a bit in the bank for the inevitable fixes/upgrades after purchase.

Regards,

Gavin

Welcome mate! 

I think amongst us here we can help narrow down your search parameters prior to going tyre kicking... 

I always liked the Jack Olsen video from Petrolicious "One Car to do it all" 

Much easier to get a drive of a Porsche then a Toyota !

lol not wrong mate.. not wrong! 

Cheers guys.

My budget is debatable. I'd like to cap it and find something under $60k. But I know I'm a reacher so will most likely stretch this due to reaching for something above my intended price range.

I'll only have around $120k total and I'd like to use some for another business idea.

Now for my dilemma... The P cars I like are as follows:

- 964 air cooled (no spoilers, needs subtle flaring on front and rear, light weight forged wheels with big offset, simple and fast) these things seem hard to come by unless I were to import from hong kong. Plenty there and with low kilometers. Not sure about the service though but I bet they come with some kind of crime syndicate history haha.

- unsure if I like the series before the 964 just yet. Depends on their characteristics and the options I guess.

- don't mind the Caymen when tuned hard. But it might stray from the overall package I'm eventually going to settle on.

I like subtlty and sexiness in my cars. But I need it to perform in every aspect. I will need the car to be happy to go for a soft Sunday cruise to get the paper and breakfast as it is to hit the race track for a bit of a enthusiast track day and reliable enough to trundle around for everyday duties if I need to work on one of my other cars and the Porsche needs to fill the gap.

However, the above suggestions is derived purely from the performance stats and the noise and crazy good looks I see in these models, I won't know for sure til I drive a couple as I might not feel right at all in any old them but love a boxster...?.... Just too hard to say.like a kid in a candy store.

Will definitely be taking my time and researching, viewing, driving and then selecting the right one to suit me.

60k could get you into a 996TT, a lot of car for the money;

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2003/SSE-AD-2804667/?Cr=6&sdmvc=1

Seeing as you are a 'reacher'   :D  then maybe worth a look into one of these; 

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1999/AGC-AD-15854416/?Cr=27&sdmvc=1

If you are hell bent on air cooled then that's a whole different story.......................

It's not that I'm love struck on an air cooled machine, but I'm certainly looking for a bad arse attitude that will be extremely erection inducing once I'm finished with it.

I'm not sure what the Porsche fraternity is like on the topic of car modifications but I am all about making a car better, better than it ever was, faster, stop harder, Cornering the lot. So my plans would entail modification. I was actually thinking the import path would be a good one for me to take as knowing me it would probably end up stripped in my shed before too long.

To be honest it will come down to the driving experience. if the 964 feels like it has as much character as a 2014 camry then i'll be shattered as I'm looking for fun. I went looking at Corvettes when I was 20yr old which was a funny experience to be honest, People just didn't take me serious when i rocked up to look at the purchase of a $60K motor vehicle and I was jumping out of an old '92 model ute with dings all over it haha. But in the end after driving a C5 corvette I ended up buying a 1973 and taking it home, I didn't buy it because it was faster and lets face it it certainly didn't corner very well, but damn it sure did stop on a dime. I bought it because it had spectacular charisma and by the time i was finished it was cornering and it was fast fun for a young bloke. Only sold it 2 years ago which broke my heart!. but it was a smart move given that i have a hand brake and a son these days. 

thanks for the input guys.

I thought I had just found the perfect Porsche after watching a review on a Porsche builder called "Singer"... but I think the high $300USD base price rules me out of the ownership ring on that little chestnut!. 

I can only imagine how awesome that car is to own and drive!. its exactly my style with the retro looks and outstanding performance. but that price is really up there...

Link:

Yeah I forgot that little bit... although if you can afford the re-engineering of this package i doubt the cost of the donor car will bear much stress on you!. 

That is lovely. Not 100% about the colour as I like my cars to come in either White, Black or silver (mainly silver) but have been known to get a bit out there from time to time. I'm guessing ZAG are a pretty reputable restorer?, I just looked their site up and they seem to do this backdating regularly.

I might give this bloke and call and have a chat to find out how much has been done to the car and get an idea of costs etc.

- 964 air cooled (no spoilers, needs subtle flaring on front and rear, light weight forged wheels with big offset, simple and fast) these things seem hard to come by unless I were to import from hong kong. Plenty there and with low kilometers. Not sure about the service though but I bet they come with some kind of crime syndicate history hah

Can't import a 964 unless it is under a personal import scheme (i.e., you owned and drove it in the source country for 12 months).  So if an import is your thing, you'll need to find one with the wheels already on the ground here.  Sorry.  No way around that, even if you do have your own crime syndicate. This is because they were all made after 1 Jan 1989, which is the cutoff date for importing cars without having to own them in the source country for 12 months (the personal import scheme).

It's not that I'm love struck on an air cooled machine, but I'm certainly looking for a bad arse attitude that will be extremely erection inducing once I'm finished with it.

I'm not sure what the Porsche fraternity is like on the topic of car modifications but I am all about making a car better, better than it ever was, faster, stop harder, Cornering the lot. So my plans would entail modification. I was actually thinking the import path would be a good one for me to take as knowing me it would probably end up stripped in my shed before too long.

To be honest it will come down to the driving experience. if the 964 feels like it has as much character as a 2014 camry then i'll be shattered as I'm looking for fun. I went looking at Corvettes when I was 20yr old which was a funny experience to be honest, People just didn't take me serious when i rocked up to look at the purchase of a $60K motor vehicle and I was jumping out of an old '92 model ute with dings all over it haha. But in the end after driving a C5 corvette I ended up buying a 1973 and taking it home, I didn't buy it because it was faster and lets face it it certainly didn't corner very well, but damn it sure did stop on a dime. I bought it because it had spectacular charisma and by the time i was finished it was cornering and it was fast fun for a young bloke. Only sold it 2 years ago which broke my heart!. but it was a smart move given that i have a hand brake and a son these days. 

thanks for the input guys.

I feel your love affair for old things with character!

You should post some pics of your old Vette up for us.. I'm also very passionate about US muscle, especially old chevs.. more of a Camaro guy myself, I've had 4 69's. 

Anyway, I always like this blog on Kevin aka Babalouie's 964 C2 -> http://eurostyle-tuning.com/forum/showthread.php?100-Babalouie-Porsche-964-Build-Thread

Gives you a pretty good idea on what its really like to own, maintain and drive a 964 daily... I don't think he rarely posts here or there anymore since selling it though.

Edgy, that link is unreal, I wish I had the patience to conduct a write up on some of the things I have done over the years. 

I am a classic car lover through and through, just can't get it out of my system, its lost on so many people these days and you often get the age old question of why?, but its not something you can explain, you need to take them for a run and see them light up, Mate of mine recently had me search, inspect and purchase a '65 Ford XP sedan with a 221 pursuit engine. it took one drive in my old hardtop to get his blood pumping.

Links to my Vette: (1973 Chrome rear, Grandsport suspension upgrade, Brake upgrade, arches slightly flared to cover the 18X10/18X8 3 piece Monaco rims, 350 chev stroked to 408, T400 trans, 3.5:1 rear LSD / Stock IRS. Stereo = Engine.

vette2_zpsb4a531fc.jpg

vette_zps2f4e520a.jpg

Link to my '65 (latest project) - Bit of a granny spec rat, new suspension all-round, Shelby mod to front suspension, 302 windsor stroked to 347ci built by Trick and Mansweto Racing, SVO alloy heads, Edelbrock air gap inlet, billet holley street avenger 650cfm, ford motorsport roller cam, C4 trans, shift kitted, 9 inch rear. Stereo = Engine.

kewp_zps43ed93ef.jpg

donk_zps92cd591e.jpg

Links to my current adrenaline rush: 1990 Toyota MR2 SW20 turbo, Fully balanced and forged engine (only just built not finished yet), HD clutch, Burke down pipe, Jasma Stainless exhaust, Rosso Corsa paint, Tan Leather trim imported from Poland (same as BMW supplied), in dash vehicle dynamics processor (displays GPS calc'd speed, engine revs, G's, Track location, etc), Full Tein Coil overs, TRD sway bars, Wheels were Professor SSR three piece but were stolen whilst at the current mechanics so awaiting delivery of some Enkei RPF1 and Falken semi's.

MR2_zps58298492.jpg

trim_zpsb522a3ab.jpg

telemetry_zps3a81c4d6.jpg

Any pics of your Camaro's?...

I wish I could like your post more ^^ ... :D I really dig the Vette.. what a beauty! And that XP.. I'd be creating bushfires with!  :lol:

I would really have to dig for some shots of the old Camaro its been some years now  <_< ... I reluctantly sold it after getting divorced, at the time I just didn't want to know about it... I wiped the slate clean so to speak   :ph34r: The other 3 well... thats another story. 

Have a look at Uncle's Boxster that's in the for sale section. He also has other info from when he bought it, the Gemballa Boxster GTR, twin turbo.

love the power to weight ratio, but anything I buy will be in the form of a coupe, I have a head for Radio so I just can't justify owning an open top. Nice vehicle though.

THis car is what you need:

http://www.porsche-qld.org.au/PorscheClubs/pc_queensland/pc_main.nsf/web/7163914522BF5D23C12578E600398000#pagetop

Impact bumper body in need of TLC, already has performance improvements and 3.6 motor.  You could backdate this with the big motor, clean up the body and put in a new interior and have a pretty nice street car.

Funnily enough I like the look of that. I have a feeling in person that it will be rough given i can see the distortion in the front guard and some other cosmetic damage etc. The hard part for me is not knowing what something like this is worth in top condition and then adjusting to suit what it is worth at present. (Would a porsche dealer who conducts a PPI be able to give me an unbiased estimate of what I should be paying?)

I'll give him a ring, I had told myself to take my time and research the marque properly to be sure I purchase the correct car for me but if the shoe fits i'll put that bitch on.

Cheers mate.

A PPI from an independent will tell you what is wrong with the car, if the engine is stuffed or the gearbox is full of sand or the chassis is bent from a racetrack shunt.

Valuing modified cars is difficult - they are worth less because of loss of originality.  But the parts are worth something.   Really the only way you can work out the value to you is to see what else is out there and what it would cost to get a car to the point this one is in.  And then see if the seller is in the same price range.  

I rang to see about this car but its sold already, Asked the seller vi text if he could advise what price range he was looking for but he never replied.

Probably for the best as its quite soon, but it was heading toward the vision i have guess. However the more I'm reading about the Marque the more options i find myself considering.

I think holding off til i get the opportunity to actually drive a few of the models and experience them would be the smartest move i can make.

thanks for the heads up Coastr.

Archived