VW Kombi/Westfalia

Not sure why but recently i've been looking at VW kombis and wondering if anyone here has owned one or driven one?

On a pure looks perspective , definitely like the type 1 models but they are going for crazy prices. 

I have only seen one but never sat  in one but just the idea of a rear engine'd van with character appeals to me.

Just after some feedback from owners or ex owners on how they drive and how hard are they to live with

Floaty. Lol I used to have a bay window microbus. It was great for camping though.

my dad owned a Westphalia for a little while, but it was a restoration project

My wife used to own a T2 2lt Auto Camper, she loved it, easy to drive and nice and high. About 10 years ago we took long service leave and headed off around Australia, lived in it for 4 months, followed the coast to Adelaide from Brisbane. By the time we got there 2 months had passed, so started heading home through BorderTown, Nhill, and Canberra. Then back to the coast, and home. I did an oil change in Melbourne, other than that didnt touch it, reliable and started first turn of the key every time.

They are basic, easy to fix/maintain, parts are cheap and there are VW shops/experts everywhere. However they RUST.......

If we had room I think she would have another.

Mate of mine that used to live near Picton used to drive one to and from Sydney burbs every day, it was pretty unbeatable up the hill and around the corners before all the freeways were there. 2.0 manual. 

I had a 67 splitty bus for coupla months.

I'd always wanted one since I got into VW's a few years ago and sold my Karmann Ghia to buy a ratty one that a mate had.

Great fun, handy to take friends or chuck the missus and the dog in and go for a drive somewhere.

Was good for our band gear too, but I got pretty bored with it as I wasn't using it enough and sold it to buy another beetle.

Mine was a rat with dents and some small rust issues and the paint was falling off, but sold it for what I paid for it, $15k

I have driven my mates ratty patina'd looking 57 panel bus that has had the works thrown at it with upgraded suspension and motor. 

It is one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. Goes like the clappers, so smooth and STOPS real quick with massive brakes.

He did most of the work on it and total cost was $30k in parts alone

A decent split window bus will start at anywhere from $25k, yet it may need a bit of work, then ya get serious in price with nicely restored ones. $40k and up.

A friend has a fully restored dual cab splitty for sale now at $40k.

Bay window kombi's arent my cup of tea, but theyre starting to go up in price a bit due to the price of splittys.

'Low Lights' (indicators just above front bumper) are the most desired Bay's if ya like 'em. I had one I was going to clean up but got bored with that too and sold it

In a nutshell, they are great fun and very handy if ya have kids (I don't), surf, or need to carry bits n pieces ( another guy I know restored a panel and uses it daily as a sparky and rolling advertisement, and has featured in magazines coz it's so good) Also, a friend and multiple Porsche owner has just bought a single cab spiltty with a 912 motor in it which I am yet to see, yet knowing him, it will be a very nice one!

I'd own a good one again if I had the spare cash and the room, but if you do buy a splitty, be prepared for everyone stopping you and talking to you about it! Theyre very popular.

Just sold this to a fellow Porsche guy on the Central Coast for about 993 money.

P1010959_Large.sized.jpg

Also have these:-

IMG_0461.jpg

FILE2357_EXIF.sized.jpg

Last year I went with the wife and 3 kids to Southern California and bought a 69 Westfalia, and drove from north of Sacremento down via SF and the PCH1 to LA. We shipped it back over here. Its a LHD car, but genuine Westfalia's are very thin on the ground in Australia. I will be putting it up for sale in the summer after we get a few trips in with it:-

4920311_G.jpg

Expect to pay for a genuine Westfalia. I saw a RHD one go recently for $30k, and there is another advertised at over $60k.

Cheers

Steve

Wow thanks for all the feedback guys! 

We are expecting a baby this month so guess future planning has me thinking about it. All great advice. Thanks all.

69 Westfalia looks awesome! I assume the westfalia is really the same as a kombi right?

I have no issues driving left hookers. Bought mine in BC and drove it down to LA via the PCH and shipped it here so know the route you are talking about.

Let me know when you are looking to sell although not sure if I can afford one at this point in time.

Summer may be anotehr story :)

Lot's of Kombis in Tas , some really nice ones (and some ratty surfer's ones). Amazing prices now ; almost worth exporting to the UK where the surfies over there proceed to fill them with rust.

Ho way on God's earth would my wife ride in the front seat. The biggest airbag on the planet isn't going to help.

I'd want one with fully sorted brakes and steering , and even then drive slowly in daytime on mostly dry deserted roads!

I learned to drive in a Dormobile conversion '72 pop top Kombi.  Drove it a lot and loved it. But by today's standards they are woeful things.

Gear lever was 6ft long and connected by underpants elastic, and the function was more sort of a game of ratio bingo.  Handling was the usual VW combination of understeer developing into snap oversteer, but combining the high COG condition with that of the stability of a stack of bowling balls made for some entertaining cornering.

Everything else about them is solid - and I mean everything will open and close and make satisfying thump noises, unlike Mazdas of the equivalent era that go 'boing' when you shut the door (in fact, Mazdas STILL do this).

Buy one, enjoy it, sell it after a year of having ticked the box marked "I once owned a Kombi". Win at life.

SS-image-2011-02-26-4d69dc3b00932.jpg

these make the driving experience so much more fun, then you can just randomly guess where you think the gear might be

oh, and if anyone wants a restoration project, I know of a '73 twin cab without engine (but with 2l gearbox) for $4k. it's got rust in the usual spots (floors are reasonable though - was my dad's daily driver for about 10 years but has sat in a paddock for a while waiting for him to get round to it)

Expect to pay for a genuine Westfalia. I saw a RHD one go recently for $30k, and there is another advertised at over $60k.

REEEAALLY didn't want to know that. Sold one a few years back for $7k. Orig cond with 75ks on it.

Still. Driving one means you are first one to arrive at the accident.

• 7 months later...

I went to the Shannons auction tonight. The 60 23 window had and estimate of $120k to $140k. 

It ended up selling for $202k !! It was quite an event, people were gasping at $140k but a phone bidder came back strong again and again up to $202k,

Seems like long hoods are yesterdays news ;)

There was a 74 targa with a 3.2 and 5 speed that was passed in at $28k, and an 86 928S that went for about $11-$12k I think. 

Cheers

Steve

Archived