Porsche workshop destroyed in fire

JV911

How do you comprehensively insure a car that is undergoing restoration?

Say a $50,000 basket case 356 that needs $100,000 to make it a $200,000 concourse winner?

How many people increase the insurance as the value of the ongoing restoration proceeds?

Do people assume the repairer is fully insured? How can a repairer comprehensively insure a collection of valuable cars? Is it no wonder repair costs are high, because I would imagine insurance would not be cheap.

At a minimum , if the engine is removed for rebuild , get the shell shipped to your own garage , if the shell is inherently valuable.

Workshops with many cars and much business are probably higher risk than one's garage. 

You can rebuild a burnt car but the scars will remain. The metal undergoes molecular changes.

How do you comprehensively insure a car that is undergoing restoration?

Say a $50,000 basket case 356 that needs $100,000 to make it a $200,000 concourse winner?

How many people increase the insurance as the value of the ongoing restoration proceeds?

Do people assume the repairer is fully insured? How can a repairer comprehensively insure a collection of valuable cars? Is it no wonder repair costs are high, because I would imagine insurance would not be cheap.

At a minimum , if the engine is removed for rebuild , get the shell shipped to your own garage , if the shell is inherently valuable.

Workshops with many cars and much business are probably higher risk than one's garage. 

You can rebuild a burnt car but the scars will remain. The metal undergoes molecular changes.

Good question Tazzieman, not sure who has the answer to this one unless you work for an insurance company. But a valid question, my factory is across the road from a large panel beating firm that had a fire about 3 years ago, 46 cars totally destroyed in a matter of a couple of hours to say nothing of the facility itself!

Such a sad sight... :(  Sprinklers should be mandated in all shops housing Porsches!

Water not effective on fuel fires , though most "natural" fires possibly start in other ways . Once fire takes hold in an environment full of gas cylinders , fuel , oil , solvents and plastics you need a fire crew ASAP.

Water not effective on fuel fires , though most "natural" fires possibly start in other ways . Once fire takes hold in an environment full of gas cylinders , fuel , oil , solvents and plastics you need a fire crew ASAP.

Yeah water just helps the fuel spread (there's alot to be said for CO2/Halogen surpression systems!)

such a sad sight

Halon bad for long term health in enclosed place

Insurance Q a god one as I imagine we all have been guilty of just believing that business ( often with the owners known to you or to a mate...)will look after 'our' interests. Mostly do but can lead to awfully protracted convoluted settlements and hand wringing.

I hear the running of feet... to go check our laid up resto cover and comprehensive

Archived