I never liked Matt Farah that much anyway

I guess maybe Roadkill will do the same at some stage (about the same time I'll stop watching)

I wonder what their profit projections are for these new models? would be interesting to see why they're doing it.

I didn't mind him until I saw him in a video washing his corvette last night and completely scratching the hell out of it with an abrasive cloth to remove bug and tar.

At least they still have Chris Harris.

This is the way of the future for all shows.

I spent an hour watching DRIVE videos last night instead of the crap on FTA TV.  I would pay $4 a month for more,  ad-free episodes.

For half the cost of a rubbish Australian motoring magazine subscription I think it's reasonable.  Best done by setting up your TV so you can watch youtube directly on it.  

Put it this way...would you pay $4 a month to have Top Gear without all the editing and chopping and out-of-order presentation delivered to you?  I know people love to torrent it or do whatever, but I just can't be bothered with all of that. For a lot of people reading this, I'm sure $4 is their per-minute charge out rate.  Even at minimum wage it is what they earn in 4 minutes. Ok, so the thieves in Canberra help themselves to more than 50% of that, but still.

Any product where you are not paying for it - you are the product that someone else is paying for.  Always remember that.

i haven't watched normal TV in at least a year, every night it's youtube on the TV for car shows.

the advertising at the start (and now throughout some shows) should be enough

P.s

If you want no ads on youtube, Download adblock (i have it on google chrome). I get no ads anywhere! some webpages you unblock (like this one to see the ads!) but youtube add free :)

Adblock is awesome! Especially for those 30 second Youtube ads!

I'll probably subscribe. Can't go without my Chris Harris fix.

For anyone on the content side of things you know why they're going to try and charge. Youtube pays the content creator a pittance per view. Generally thousandths of a cent per view. Sometimes tens of thousandths of a cent per view. Spotify (and every other music streamer) do the same. At some point people are going to need to start paying for content again or there will be no content left to watch, no new Indy bands, and no new Indy games.

I was on a small development team that made an Indy game which has been downloaded 2 million plus times. To date it has made about $4000. Ask me what content our team produces now? Zero. There is no money in it.

So I'm now a paid subscriber (well, on the trial at least).

Its pretty piss-poor how much abuse is being fired in drive's direction because of this change. Its $3.50 a month. You spend more on your morning coffee. Can't afford it, watch the 5min promo stuff that is still free.

/rant off :)

Me neither. Nor do I like Mike or Leo, the latter having the most annoying voice ever.

Monkey boy Harris is great though. Hopefully they come up with some customisable subscriptions so one can just subscribe to Chris Harris on cars.

I see not all countries can subscribe. They would have pissed a lot of people off.

every night it's youtube on the TV for car shows.

What other channels are good?

I watch mainly drag racing on Fullboost and Fast Performance and euro hill climbs and track days on 19bozzy92. Apart from that just browse porsche and random nerdy stuff ie physics (space and time travel)

Me neither. Nor do I like Mike or Leo, the latter having the most annoying voice ever.

Monkey boy Harris is great though. Hopefully they come up with some customisable subscriptions so one can just subscribe to Chris Harris on cars.

I see not all countries can subscribe. They would have pissed a lot of people off.

What other channels are good?

I watch mainly drag racing on Fullboost and Fast Performance and euro hill climbs and track days on 19bozzy92. Apart from that just browse porsche and random nerdy stuff ie physics (space and time travel)

I don't mind some of the stuff that Matt does. I enjoy Mikes 'fire side' chats with different people generally about the history of cars etc. Leo not so much.

The main event is Chris Harris. If I have to pay $3.50 / month to watch 4 vids from Chris, I'll pay it. The way I see it, it is an hours worth of entertainment for $3.50 - which will come into its own later when after time there is a back catalogue of drive+ content. I probably watch 4-5 Chris Harris car segements a week on youtube (mostly ones I've already seen simply cause I enjoy watching it more than whats on TV).

If they can get even 10000 people to subscribe its going to make a big difference to whether or not it continues to be viable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived