Australia is B grade fuel market?

Orion03

I either go for Shell or Mobil then BP. Don't even remotely think about Caltex or Safeway and other independents as I've had some pretty rough running engines out of them in my Honda Civics.

Orion - Service interval sounds pretty standard to me, my 996 is doing changes at 10k or 6 months

Orion - Service interval sounds pretty standard to me, my 996 is doing changes at 10k or 6 months

By the book it's 24 months, 30,000 km

I know it's better to get it done more often, I was just amused at the reason the service guy gave, i.e. Aus is B grade fuel.

My take on the long service is... 

It's perceived to be a big hassle to the public to take the car in for a service, so the car companies make it longer and longer. The car companies also bet on the average owner not keeping a car for longer then 5 years... so the engine itself can die after 10 years.

So hence it's okay to have longer service intervals cause hey the car is design to be obsolete in 10 years.

That's my 2 cents on the long service interval.

My take on the long service is... 

It's perceived to be a big hassle to the public to take the car in for a service, so the car companies make it longer and longer. The car companies also bet on the average owner not keeping a car for longer then 5 years... so the engine itself can die after 10 years.

So hence it's okay to have longer service intervals cause hey the car is design to be obsolete in 10 years.

Could understand certain other built to budget Asian car manufacturers but I wouldn't think Porsche would ever do this (unless it was the North American branch with their bad public relations lately)

Works in a manufacturers favour. Car blows up at 10 years, that buyer was never going to buy a new one anyway. So the reputation amongst new buyers stays sound, and the manufacturer gets to sell more cars.

Geez you make it sound so bad!

If anything major, rod and crank bearings and new seals. Piston rings if worn out enough but i'd change them anyway. 

shes good to go another 200,000k's

I think it's old Porsche Vs new Porsche....

Old Porsche you figure you can drive forever.

New Porsche = built in obsolescence especially with all the electronic gizmos.

will a PDK last 30 years? find out in 25 years time?

:-)

But hey that's just my cynical view.

I think it's old Porsche Vs new Porsche....

Old Porsche you figure you can drive forever.

New Porsche = built in obsolescence especially with all the electronic gizmos.

will a PDK last 30 years? find out in 25 years time?

:-)

But hey that's just my cynical view.

But that's just like saying how long is a piece of string. 

for example when the transition from mechanical fuel injection to electronic. i bet it would have been the same thing. 25 years later and the moronic systems still work, and some have solder join issues. 

Only time will tell :)

Can't agree with you more there Pauly. There's also always the case of replace it with a part which is newer and better. I bet there's a tonne of 30+ year old cars on here which have swapped out an old part for a newer more modern retrofit/replacement. Although the rate of obsolescence for things has definitely increased these days.

Increased service intervals have been seen as a competitive advantage by manufacturers when trying to sell cars to fleets. Fleet sales depends on low life cycle costs and if it's possible to defer maintenance that's extra sales.

Can't agree with you more there Pauly. There's also always the case of replace it with a part which is newer and better. I bet there's a tonne of 30+ year old cars on here which have swapped out an old part for a newer more modern retrofit/replacement. Although the rate of obsolescence for things has definitely increased these days.

Here's a good example. 

I had to rebuild my injector harness the other day. Every single wire was frayed next to the pin, so if they happened to twist, my engine would shut off. Which was the case last week. 

I can see the 964 and 993 owners slowly getting to the point of wires up-to their life time limit. 

For the 944 and a few 911s who use the motronic computers, now there's replacements that run cooler and with less components and expandable. tuneable too. 

The 924/944/968 have torque tubes, and the bearing inside are 'not replaceable' and are not suppose to wear out. But they all wear out and you cannot replace them as they say. 

PITA job but you can replace them, it's just hard to find the correct bearing as none fit. 

I'm about to do mine again as the bearings i used didn't hold up. i will have to make my own carriers and fit better bearings. 

So i believe with the PDK, they are rebuildable.. And im sure somewhere someone will write up a DIY PDK rebuild. 

with the more electrics, they're just more sensors really, and OBD2 can pick up sensor failure. 

Which is all ok if you're on the tools, but for those of us that aren't a PDK / S Tronic / DSG / DCT is currently a throw-away item. One that costs $20k (including parts) to get other people to replace.

Everything is fixable no doubt, especially if you have the skills, and probably more importantly time. But for everyone else a $20k repair on a car that is worth $30k (I'm looking at you Golfs) is a write off.

Kind of wandered off track here :D

sleazius did you just point out why manuals are superior as a collectible car  ;)

In the case of Golfs you can buy a rebuild kit, manual and hopefully make some new friends trying to fix it for a lot less than 20k. Trust me, making new friends who can help out is always handy when you're not a spanner monkey.

Increased service intervals have been seen as a competitive advantage by manufacturers when trying to sell cars to fleets. Fleet sales depends on low life cycle costs and if it's possible to defer maintenance that's extra sales.

That sounds like a good reason for the long service interval.

Archived