Australia is B grade fuel market?

Orion03

So Porsche Melb wants me to service my car yearly and not every 2 years as the manual says.

Now I was going to do it yearly anyway but I was interested in what they would say, so I asked and got this reply:

Hello, 

Thank you for the email. With regard to service on the Porsche, Australia is a "B Grade" fuel market and as such, it is necessary to service your Porsche every year or 15,000 km's. Whichever occurs first. If your manual states every two years I would suggest that it may be possible that the incorrect service book is in the vehicle. 

In Europe and North America the service interval is every 2 years. Was your vehicle originally sold in the U.K? 

So.... Aus is a B Grade Fuel market??

I could understand changing your oil yearly but to blame it on the fuel is stupid. The fact we have poor fuel at the pump has more to do with the crap that ends up in the fuel at the servos more than anything else. The number of times I have had water in a tank of fuel by filling up at a Shell servo is nuts. 

I could understand changing your oil yearly but to blame it on the fuel is stupid. The fact we have poor fuel at the pump has more to do with the crap that ends up in the fuel at the servos more than anything else. The number of times I have had water in a tank of fuel by filling up at a Shell servo is nuts. 

I filled up mine at a shell servo once. My knock sensor went crazy and pulled so much timing. I can actually show you graphs in boost curves how bad the car drove. 

drained it and put BP back in. drove like a dream again.

I filled up mine at a shell servo once. My knock sensor went crazy and pulled so much timing. I can actually show you graphs in boost curves how bad the car drove. 

drained it and put BP back in. drove like a dream again.

My HSV runs pretty bad on Shell and Caltex but like a dream on BP.

My HSV runs pretty bad on Shell and Caltex but like a dream on BP.

As the wise overlord of this forum once told me - BP stands for 'Best Petrol'.  ;)

Agree with comments above, smells good to me.  ^_^

I haven`t given the newer shell the chance to ruin my day, but the original v power or v max or whatever it was called, if left in the fuel rails too long would evaporate into a jelly that required total dismantling and cleaning of injectors, rails and even fuel lines,lots of swear words and many hours were spent vowing never to darken their forecourt again.

Can someone tell me how cars went from the traditional 6 month / 10,000km service interval to 2 years / 15,000km intervals? Holden/HSV added a bigger sump to their LS2 and that was enough to lengthen the service interval. So more oil means it degrades slower? I can't help but think that it's all marketing that could potentially shorten the lives of engines in the long run. That wouldn't have any effect on the manufacturer as it would be way out of warranty by then.

If PC used that font in their response to you, then I'd automatically assume their response was full of shit!

Hmmmmmmm. I generlly use Shell followed by BP. 

I can honestly state that I have NOT had any bad experiences with either.

I reckon 25K is way too long between oil changes anyway. That is of course if that's what Porsche intend to do on the shorter service.

Hmmmmmmm. I generlly use Shell followed by BP. 

I can honestly state that I have NOT had any bad experiences with either.

I reckon 25K is way too long between oil changes anyway. That is of course if that's what Porsche intend to do on the shorter service.

You should try BP next time you feel up, might notice a difference? or you've been lucky haha. 

You should try BP next time you feel up, might notice a difference? or you've been lucky haha.

I'll certainly do that Pauly.

Get a big dose of BP before the next run and try pay close attention to the way the car runs.

Here are my logs:

First one is with BP ultimate (98)

Second one is with Shell Vpower (98) - at 4k rpm you can see a flat spot where it suppose to be at a ~345 and increase to ~355 at 4250rpm but has dropped and stayed at ~320 and stayed there until 4250 rpm. 

****Note the red and blue lines have changed sides between logs****

ScreenShot2013-04-01at74752PM.png

logissue.jpg

Can someone tell me how cars went from the traditional 6 month / 10,000km service interval to 2 years / 15,000km intervals? Holden/HSV added a bigger sump to their LS2 and that was enough to lengthen the service interval. So more oil means it degrades slower? I can't help but think that it's all marketing that could potentially shorten the lives of engines in the long run. That wouldn't have any effect on the manufacturer as it would be way out of warranty by then.

Build tolerances, materials and lubricants have improved over the years. Better engineering means engines run cleaner and with less wear. So service intervals get longer. Well that's the theory anyway.

Archived