Paint job Sydney?

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend a good not overly expensive Paint and Panel mob that have older 911 experience?

I know ZAG are the best but 15-20k is out of my budget.

cheers

I would recomend getting as many quotes/estimates as you can, that way you will get a feel for who will be "user friendly" and who is set up and willing to work on older cars. Recommendations can be a useful starting point, but are no guarantee of the outcome your looking for.

Although others may argue this point, but IMO there is no significant difference between the actual repainting of a Holden Commodore or a 1978 911.

However, there is big difference in the time required to dismantle and reassemble a 1978 911 and say a Modern Holden, I.E the rear bumper bar on the 911 is made up of at least 10 separate components and will have screws and nuts that will be corroded to some degree. 

The condition of your car will dictate the cost of the repairs, even the best kept garage queen will be time consuming to dismantle. If you car has been painted before ( and it probably has ) or the paint is in poor condition they will probably quote to strip the car to bare metal, this is also time consuming and messy.

There will be repairs required and possibly some rust repairs, even the most experienced repairer cannot tell everything that might be wrong until the car is stripped.

If you have time,space tools etc. dismantling the car and trailering it to the panel shop will save you lots, and if it need to be paint stripped you could do that yourself also (not a fun job but quite satisfying when done). Then you have the repairs that need done.

If you are inclined to do some of the work your self you will get a more affordable paint job, but you need to get a panel shop that is ok to do it that way as some don't like owners getting involved with the process.

In summary,  your average family car could be dismantled, repainted and re-assembled in around a week (minor repairs only) to do 911 you will need to remove the front guards or at least release them and so the door, and engine apertures are done the engine lid and doors need to be removed also. The actual application of the paint (which is something I do not recommend you do yourself) is not the most costly part its everything else.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you for your elaborate and useful response it is very much appreciated !

When a mate and I lowered the suspension from US to Euro Spec and have replaced 24mm to 26mm torsion bars which meant minor disassembly of some body parts and came across exactly that. Corrosion in nuts and bolts is a small degree but enough to be very careful. Go overboard with WD40 !

I think self disassembly would involve and great deal of patience, meaning time, which is probably the most costly of all businesses as you pointed out.

I try to ask as many people as possible to get their experience and opinions as well hence my postings and will get as many quotes.

Thanks again Caledonian !

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend a good not overly expensive Paint and Panel mob that have older 911 experience?

I know ZAG are the best but 15-20k is out of my budget.

cheers

You will struggle to get change out of 15k, its not just paint but all the other bits you replace along the way (rubbers, seals etc). No point in doing a half fast job, it's a big job and pays to get it done properly.

As mentioned above get some quotes, be sure you know the level and quality of work you are comparing though.

My 912 is being prepped for paint now.

I did all the paint stripping to bare metal with a grinder and some blue poly discs. If I hadve timed it, I'd say you could do the whole car in around 2 solid days with a bit of help. I know one rear quarter took me around 2 hours stripping the crap paint that was covering the original black paint. The poly discs dont harm the metal if you dont heat it up by pushing real hard in one area for longer than required.

Its a messy job that should be done outside, unlike me who had no choice but to do it in my shed.

Remove hood, decklid and doors after the main body has been stripped, as its LOTS easier on a cheap table of tressles.

When I removed all the lights, seals etc etc, I bagged them up and labelled them. I'm not looking forward to reassembly, but theres always the internet for those ' Where the hell does this go'? questions

I should add that my mate is doing the body prep and painting it, so I am paying nowhere near the going rate.

Ive told him what quotes are being thrown around for Porsches to be painted, and he laughs.

There IS a lot of work involved, yet you will not only save some money, but you will have some satisfaction when you say to yourself 'I did that' when your car is ready to be shipped to the painter.

You can get your paint exact paint made up and put into a spray can by a proper paint shop. I tried it on those "non critical areas" i.e. inside wheel arches and it comes out great. The rest I will leave to a prof.

Honestly for someone else to do a good job in a timely manner $10-15 is the bottom end of it! Some shops will lure you in with an attractive price and your car will simply end up as furniture in their shop (dont ask how I know). 

If you're happy to have a shot at it yourself budget perhaps $5k for materials, booth rental, sandblasting etc ~ and just have a pro shoot the top coat, its what I have done in the past. 

cheers

Archived