car phone holder

How many of you use a phone holder? for convenience or GPS ect. 

my DD is my Porsche, and it doesn't have a GPS. I don't go far.. to and from work which is 5 mins from home (how lucky am i!!! )

But sometimes i have a meeting or just need to go other side of town to some place i've never been or driven though and like to use my GPS for a piece of mind incase i take the wrong turn or something. 

I always look at the road maps to see my route before my trips. 

I use to leave my phone sitting on my ashtray (my coin holder) as i don't have a pocket under my head-unit as i conveniently put gauges in that spot. So my phone sits behind the gear shifter. The problem i had with that, that it wouldn't stay and if i needed to look at the next turn off, i need to look down and not at the road. 

So i went on a hunt for a phone holder. I don't like any of those bulky things and wanted something with flexibility. I have an iPhone so it probably made it easier too. Yesterday i went to JB hifi to get a few things and i saw this stand with an iPhone and a samsung held by something and said "car phone holders" I pulled the phone off the holder and it was held by a strong magnet!! now that was cool! and that was a car phone holder. I loved it, i could rotate it, no clips holding it in. i Bought it. 

What was it. It's called a logitech Case+ http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartphone/cases

What it is, is you get a new cover (which is very nice IMO) has a steel back, and the suction cup with a magnet on it. just place your phone on it and done. 

Interesting. Although you wouldn't be able to use it at a track day because it's not 'physically' attached.

I've gone through 4 in the last year and a half and they all keep failing where the phone clips in our rotates. I think the heat gets to them and the plastic becomes brital. So this looks like a great solution.

Interesting. Although you wouldn't be able to use it at a track day because it's not 'physically' attached.

I've gone through 4 in the last year and a half and they all keep failing where the phone clips in our rotates. I think the heat gets to them and the plastic becomes brital. So this looks like a great solution.

Why do you need your phone for a track day?

Hope your name isn't James May and gets lost around a track? :P

I bought a 2 din GPS, Bluetooth (telephone and music streaming) Radio, etc Chinese clone. Works great and fits perfectly between my dash and centre console

I thought of this. But i don't want to loose my gauges. I thought of the JVC single din gps unit. but they don't sell them anymore! But i'm fussy with headunits. with the EQ, crossovers ect. 

I think I've had mine for 2 years?  

It works a treat, the magnet doesn't let go its easy to move from car to car..

Dunno what else its supposed to do...

I guess mine will be put to the test on the next SMT. 

But it has so much pull i don't see it moving. 

Why do you need your phone for a track day?

Hope your name isn't James May and gets lost around a track? :P

If you're James May then it would be the opposite, you wouldn't want a phone.

You want a phone for racechrono. You want lap times, split times, corner speeds and optimum session times you will want to use racechrono ;)

Very valuable for analysis comparing your session compared to your last or even the previous time you visited that track.

Screenshot_2013-02-24-11-55-08.png

But it has so much pull i don't see it moving. 

It's not about what it is under normal operating circumstances, it's what will happen when you spin out or hit a wall. If there the slightest possibility it could go flying then it's a no go for track.

If you're James May then it would be the opposite, you wouldn't want a phone.

You want a phone for racechrono. You want lap times, split times, corner speeds and optimum session times you will want to use racechrono ;)

Very valuable for analysis comparing your session compared to your last or even the previous time you visited that track.

Screenshot_2013-02-24-11-55-08.png

It's not about what it is under normal operating circumstances, it's what will happen when you spin out or hit a wall. If there the slightest possibility it could go flying then it's a no go for track.

racechrono? Is this some Android robotic voodoo? I can't find it on the Apple app store.

Archived