Car & Driver - Feb 1984 - Carrera 3.2 Test

Peter M

I bought this edition of Car & Driver because of this test and was expecting it to be straight laced and even a bit dour.

To my surprise they couldn't have been more excited about the then new Carrera 3.2.  Sure they don't excuse the inexcusable but I think their assessment is on the money and it's well worth a read and even a bit wacky.

SCN_0001_zpsd8cb63be.jpg

SCN_0002_zps5bcdd315.jpg

SCN_0003_zpsc9ee4451.jpg

SCN_0004_zpsc908f04c.jpg

SCN_0005_zps999cb854.jpg

SCN_0006_zpsfde2b327.jpg

The test car ran the 200hp low compression motor but did 13.9 second quarter miles. Amazing!

At first I thought it must of been running a shorter diff ratio but they still got 149mph out of it compared to the usually quoted 151mph top speed so it appears to have the same gearing as the ROW cars.

I've been finding the comparisons with the other performance cars of this era and earlier interesting with the reality of the test results of the time often not matching the "legend" particularly with regard to a number of muscle cars that I've long aspired to own.

Nice find, thanks for posting.  I too find a sub 6sec 0-100kmh and sub 14sec quarter impressive.  I must be used to power these days as they dont feel that fast.  Be interested to see the launch and gear changes in the test

Nice find, thanks for posting.  I too find a sub 6sec 0-100kmh and sub 14sec quarter impressive.  I must be used to power these days as they dont feel that fast.  Be interested to see the launch and gear changes in the test

Most would be down a bit on factory power due to age (unless freshly rebuilt), and it's unlikely that any owner out there thrashes their Porsche as hard as a bunch of road testers with someone else paying for the tyres.  

If you ask me, the reason they don't feel that fast is that a lot of newer cars these days have instant torque off the line - this is also one of the Porsches treats, but drive a 4.0 commodore with an auto and they positively leap off the line. So a lot of new cars feel much faster.  And more so with a lot of smaller cars now running turbo 4s with a pancake flat torque curve right off the line.

You also have to remember that the 200 vs 231 (and the US was already on unleaded) might come later in the range, and the lower part of the power/torque curve might be similar.

You have to go back to the USA in the 1980s as alluded to in this piece - factory 'muscle' cars like the Corvette were a joke - lucky to push 200 HP out of a 350 ci V8, and weighing more and built with terrible build quality.  The national speed limit was 55 mph.  There were no fast benzes, no fast BMWs, and all the Detroit stuff was either oversized FWD V8s or wheezy carburettered economy cars.   In OZ in 1984 you could just get the last of the Ford V8s, Holden was selling a wheezy 5.0 Commodore with about 160hp and the flood of turbo'd Jap cars was yet to really start.

The 911s were the lifeline for anyone wanting a serious drive in the USA and that is why Porsche sold so many - they really didn't have a lot of competition and were nearly the only ones left even bothering with the market.

Even here - cast your mind back before the WRX dropped and think what you could buy that had some real performance.  It's easy to forget in the age of 500 hp HSVs and Turbo Falcons and AMG Benzes how few true performance cars were around for a long period.

Archived