Plugging screw holes in bodywork

AC78

A question for the brains trust, having removed all my AC hoses I'm left with dozens of screw hole in the underside of the car and inside wheel arches.

So as these areas are quite vulnerable to moisture and dirt, what is the best way to plug these holes? Is there some sort of filler I can buy, or will it suffice to simply put all the screws back in again (minus the brackets that held the hose)??

Cheers, Alex

There are some plugs you can buy for exposed screw holes, but I'm not sure how small or big they are or where to buy them.

An easy fix would be to put a dab of appropriate silicone on the screws and refit them

just throw the screws back in, maybe with a little sealant.

I'd be tempted to weld them back up, but then you'd have to treat it (and it might be difficult to get to the other side)

Alex,
Wouldn't most of the holes be through the two seams that run up both sides of the floor pan where the side members are spot welded to the pan? ie. so the holes won't actually allow water inside the car even if you leave them be.

I'd use brushable seam sealer to fill the holes if they are not to big. You can also stipple the surface so it looks like the original stonechip coating.

If it was me I'd put the AC back in as it was 33 here yesterday and it's only going to get hotter! :blink:

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I will plug holes with original screws and a touch of silicone.

Peter, screw holes are straight into the floor pan next to the oil lines. My AC never worked anyway and I'm a windows down kinda driver.

Archived