1990 964 C4 Melbourne

poli84

18 minutes ago, Tit said:

Urgh - I did my rears before Geelong. I followed the bed-in procedure as well as I could, but they still squeal like Ned Flanders...bloody Texstars!

That's not good to hear. How long after did the squeals begin? And by Textar, did you buy the Porsche branded Textar, or Textar branded (probably makes no difference). 

I had bad squealing at the front previously, but sort of went away finally with some CRC Disc Brake Quiet (maybe give that a go?). My mechanic installed them and I can't make out what brand they were now.

I also left off the spider dampeners as they were toast, if I get squealing with the new brakes, I will order a set. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, poli84 said:

That's not good to hear. How long after did the squeals begin? And by Textar, did you buy the Porsche branded Textar, or Textar branded (probably makes no difference). 

I had bad squealing at the front previously, but sort of went away finally with some CRC Disc Brake Quiet (maybe give that a go?). My mechanic installed them and I can't make out what brand they were now.

I also left off the spider dampeners as they were toast, if I get squealing with the new brakes, I will order a set. 

Yah. I'll give that a go. 

My dampeners were serviceable. I certainly gave the backs and sides some brake grease, but apparently to no success. 

18 hours ago, Tit said:

Yah. I'll give that a go. 

My dampeners were serviceable. I certainly gave the backs and sides some brake grease, but apparently to no success. 

Edit - $30 a can! Rrrriiiiipppp...

On 01/02/2018 at 2:30 PM, Tit said:

Edit - $30 a can! Rrrriiiiipppp...

No can, it’s a paste. 118ml red paste in a squeezable bottle. $19.99 from autobarn. 

I’ve just put 500kms on the new brakes and not a single squeal, very happy and relieved with the set up. Great braking feel, didn’t think I would get such a difference with OEM pads, excellent initial bite and feedback.

• 1 month later...

My commitment to the D90's went up a slight notch after managing to find someone selling a pair of 16x7's (fronts from a 944 S2, standard 964 is 16x6). I've been on the look out for a set of these for some time, I like the design of the D90 but never liked how flat the front wheels were. The 16x7s have slightly more depth to the wheel which look better and still retain the OEM tyre fitment. 

Took them to my usual panel beater for referb and had them fitted on Friday. Still have 7mm spacer, they don't fill out the front guards any more than the 16x6 due to the slightly higher offset but they are a better looking wheel and I am happy with the result.

41016470441_1ea8c6d381_c.jpg

40307271724_9d05c300a4_c.jpg

41016407831_11234b77a9_c.jpg

39207457310_c3db2a7a44_c.jpg  

5 hours ago, Peter M said:

Perfect

4 hours ago, Andy73 said:

Nice change mate. Subtle but just better. 

Thanks guys, it is very much a subtle change, I'd be lying if I said it has made a big difference but it's certainly an improvement. You know when you get something in your head and you just have to execute that plan? This was one of those things, the flat 16x6 D90 really bugged me. 

Really love the D90's though and how my 964 is looking, I'd like the front to come down just a fraction but the car handles so well as it is, I'm afraid it may induce more bump steer. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Mr Sheen? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Nah, just some degreaser, a high pressure hose and a lot of old rags. 

1 hour ago, Midnight 911 said:

...a little 3.8 pampering???

I wish...  nothing like that unfortunately. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, Peter John said:

I saw your car there @poli84 neato in the rear to match the top! Always nice having a spring clean 

The spring clean is a good psychological boost, even though I know it will be filthy again the minute I get it back and head for them hills! Will be nice for a short time though :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Happy to have the 964 back, always hard to be apart.

For a little while, I had been having difficulties with my clutch. Stationary at the lights with the clutch fully depressed, the car would still pull forward as the clutch was not disengaging, had to force the shifter from first into neutral and I had a really heavy pedal.  It was due for a major service so the decision was made to drop the engine, replace the clutch, do the major and then give the engine a little cosmetic freshen up while we were in there. I didn't want to split the motor as the oil leaks were not bad so we addressed most things that were practical and reasonable while the engine was out like replacing the lower weeping magnesium valve coves with the upgraded aluminium ones, and the chain cover gaskets, etc.

My DMF was also toast so this was replaced, I stuck with the DMF instead of upgrading to RS SMF. The clutch master cylinder was leaking so we changed that out to a MPL Tuning one. The MPL unit is meant to reduce the required pedal force by 30%, it is certainly a lot lighter than it was and happy with it thus far. I thought the clutch roll pin may have snapped as this is a common occurrence with the clutch symptoms I was experiencing, but this turned out to be fine. 

The engine and engine bay now matches the rest of the car which is a really well kept, clean and detailed driver's car without being too precious about it all.

The engine tin wear was blasted and powder coated in matt black and the cooling fan and upper mag valve covers were re-done to a factory finish. The nickel plating was re-done on everything that was removable. Any ideas on treating the fan shroud strap which can't be removed? 

42031927175_89b9beab09_b.jpg

Blasted and painted valve covers:

42031912145_a31cae176d_b.jpg

The cat and heat shield were blasted to remove all of the surface corrosion

42884399062_82dc935a99_b.jpg

Now back to the driving!

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Nice work Gerard. Bet you are happy with the outcome :) (if not the bill $$)

?? should have driven it up to you Mike, left it with you for a couple of months and joined you on the weekends for some spanner time!

Archived