1990 964 C4 Melbourne

poli84

I love my function first gear knob.  Though I went for the extended version with shift pattern but all in naked alloy.  It is quite a nice tactile piece though wich has lead to some interesting looks from the Mrs when she sees me subconsciously caressing it while I drive.

Mind you I had to park it in the sun on one of the 46 degree days we had and that knob wasn't the nicest thing to hold.  It didn't burn anything like I was expecting though.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the Qantas bizz thing sorted, don't worry about me, plenty of luggage. 

Coco mats are a certain taste, the chosen colour is much better in person and suits my overall colour scheme. I drove around with 3 different samples for about a month. 

I'm looking forward to the interior updates!

under no circumstances tell them you have car parts in your baggage - even at the pointy end. Especially the case in LAX. 

I love my function first gear knob.  Though I went for the extended version with shift pattern but all in naked alloy.  It is quite a nice tactile piece though wich has lead to some interesting looks from the Mrs when she sees me subconsciously caressing it while I drive.

Mind you I had to park it in the sun on one of the 46 degree days we had and that knob wasn't the nicest thing to hold.  It didn't burn anything like I was expecting though.

That's good to know, thanks for the feedback. What car do you have it fitted to? Did you cut down a leather shift boot to make it work?

under no circumstances tell them you have car parts in your baggage - even at the pointy end. Especially the case in LAX. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll take this on board. I plan on splitting the parts up in to 2 or 3 bags but do you have any experience or stories about this? I assumed it would be pretty simple, my worry would be customs in Australia as I would be over the GST threshold. 

Just installed my cup pipe. Couldn't get the factory secondary muffler back on due to the ramps I was using. It needs to be off the ground to get to the bolts which hold it on. So... I put the G pipe back on with the cup pipe (no mufflers). Holy shit balls, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck that is loud! Sounds like an old school muscle car, what a burble. Way too over the top, but f*ck me. Took it for a drive around the block, scared that sh*t out of even myself on whole open throttle. 

First thing in the morning I will call an exhaust shop and have them remove the G-pipe and re-install the secondary muffler to go with the cup pipe. 

I agree it does make it easier if the car is off the ground, but it can be one. Or you could jack the rear up, and remove the right rear wheel to give much easier access.. that's what I always do.. (yeah yeah, jack stands for safety etc)

If you have a decent length socket extension, you should be able to get to the 2 13mm nuts...

And yes, I too once tried a fully open system.. god it was loud and painful! I drove around the block and was just too scared I was going to get pulled over to go any further.. I felt very very naughty!

That's good to know, thanks for the feedback. What car do you have it fitted to? Did you cut down a leather shift boot to make it work?

Mine's a 996.1 C2.  Yeah the original knob was showing its age so after a few days of pretending that chopping up original parts wasn't right I just took a stanley knife to it and have no regrets.

Just installed my cup pipe. Couldn't get the factory secondary muffler back on due to the ramps I was using. It needs to be off the ground to get to the bolts which hold it on. So... I put the G pipe back on with the cup pipe (no mufflers). Holy shit balls, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck that is loud! Sounds like an old school muscle car, what a burble. Way too over the top, but f*ck me. Took it for a drive around the block, scared that sh*t out of even myself on whole open throttle. 

First thing in the morning I will call an exhaust shop and have them remove the G-pipe and re-install the secondary muffler to go with the cup pipe. 

I've been tempted to try this for fun but not sure our neighbours would be too happy when we're heading out for a morning blast at 5am :D

I agree it does make it easier if the car is off the ground, but it can be one. Or you could jack the rear up, and remove the right rear wheel to give much easier access.. that's what I always do.. (yeah yeah, jack stands for safety etc)

If you have a decent length socket extension, you should be able to get to the 2 13mm nuts...

And yes, I too once tried a fully open system.. god it was loud and painful! I drove around the block and was just too scared I was going to get pulled over to go any further.. I felt very very naughty!

Thanks Mike  I've had enough of lying on my back and fiddling with the exhaust, hopefully I've found a shop today who can re-install the secondary without much fuss.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was too loud  I'm actually dreading driving it the 25 minutes to the exhaust shop this arvo.

I've been tempted to try this for fun but not sure our neighbours would be too happy when we're heading out for a morning blast at 5am :D

I know that temptation, I had it for a while too. It certainly was not as good as I had imagined it to be. 

You really lose the air cooled sound, can't hear the motor, it's just noise. Sort of reminds me of an obnoxious Harley straight pipe!

• 4 months later...

The 964 has has received a lot of love over the past couple of months.

Mid-March it was dropped off at Autocoupe for the following:

• Minor service
  • Knocking from front on LH turn (front LHS drive shaft replaced)
  • Correct the sloppy shift (gear selector slide had come apart, plus replaced the ball cups found at the bottom guide tube)
  • Fix issue with braking - PDAS + Brake warning lights on constantly, hard pedal on 3 occasions (pump not running)

The car was sent off to to PCM for brake system testing. Was found that the accumulator was low on spec so a new accumulator and pressure switch was installed. Once the system was bled the brake booster pump then failed (motor stopped running).  Ordered a new brake booster pump from Porsche Doncaster and was thankfully looked after with regards to the price somewhat as the pump has an RRP $3357.

PDAS and Brake Warning dash lights are thankfully gone (have been on constantly since November last year), and brakes are now working properly for the first since I have owned the car. On previous occasions under hard braking, the ABS would cycle and then just suddenly let go (brakes would completely let go). 

That pretty much blew 2 year's of upkeep budget for the 964 so some fun stuff will have to go on the back burner until next year (RS engine mounts, etc). 

After 7 weeks of waiting for parts to arrive from Germany, I got the car back which meant I could start installing some of the new interior parts I brought back from USA in March (no trouble encountered travelling with 2 suitcases full of car parts btw).

Function First Shift Knob

To install the knob, I cut down the OEM boot. Very impressive product, great weight and feel, impressive quality. 

the rubber knob within my OEM boot was split and I could feel this through the leather so it was no pain to cut up the OEM leather.

Really happy with the feel and appearance of this knob, it’s fantastic.

35236867390_61c960a303_c.jpg

35493162271_b9b431e0ac_c.jpg

35236868730_f7839196e2_c.jpg

Momo Steering Wheel (then also installed a leather horn push).

35493162131_24cd967b5c_c.jpg

Rennline pedal box cover (still have pedals to install)

35236867670_96a696dd78_c.jpg

Coco Mats

Not to everyone’s taste but I love them.

35493161121_71716aa552_c.jpg

I need to go over the interior again with carpet steam cleaner as the linen grey carpet really shows up the dirt.

Happy how the interior has come together. I certainly like a stock looking 911 but I think the changes I've made are further along the lines of my OEM+ direction for the 964.

Oh and update to the cup pipe. Found a shop to re-install the secondary muffler and am very happy with my switch to a Cup pipe over the G-pipe. Much quieter in the cabin but under full noise, it sounds fantastic. A much more air-cooled 911 rasp, as opposed to the G-pipe which although sounding great, some what reminded me of a WRX. 

Tried a new wax and pretty happy with the results.

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Carnauba, after one coat, it looks amazing, Will hit it up with another coat over the weekend.

35236867920_9369db9f9a_c.jpg

35493161371_9c6ebae348_c.jpg

35493160641_c9d2be10b5_c.jpg

Looking lovely. Where'd you find the leather horn button? I know there's a guy selling them on eBay but his don't fit on the standard Momo horn...

Thanks Andy. It is the one from eBay Mexico. Great guy to deal with, fits well. You need to modify the brass cup that comes with the Momo horn button. All you do is press it in a vice to allow for the thickness of the leather and regain some travel in the push operation. 

@Steve88 was kind enough to swap me his horn button for some coffee but I couldn't make it work and I mangled the leather by trying to modify that, instead of the brass cup. After chatting to the eBay seller, I got a new cup and some instructions on how to make it fit! 

Thanks Andy. It is the one from eBay Mexico. Great guy to deal with, fits well. You need to modify the brass cup that comes with the Momo horn button. All you do is press it in a vice to allow for the thickness of the leather and regain some travel in the push operation. 

@Steve88 was kind enough to swap me his horn button for some coffee but I couldn't make it work and I mangled the leather by trying to modify that, instead of the brass cup. After chatting to the eBay seller, I got a new cup and some instructions on how to make it fit! 

Right - sounds like a plan. I got one and found i couldn't fit it in. Will give it a crack when i get the car back from Darren.

Nice.  A heavy shift knob makes a huge difference to the feel of the shift.  I used to use these guys for my minia and BMW's - cut from a lump of billet, they were nice and weighty:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

Only problem was on hot days...ouch! I used to have to put a cover over the shifter...

On the exhaust, why did you need a shop to do that install? It's quite easy to do at home.  I settled on the cup pipe only, but have heard there's risk of damage to the secondary muffler under high pressures.

Nice.  A heavy shift knob makes a huge difference to the feel of the shift.  I used to use these guys for my minia and BMW's - cut from a lump of billet, they were nice and weighty:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

Only problem was on hot days...ouch! I used to have to put a cover over the shifter...

On the exhaust, why did you need a shop to do that install? It's quite easy to do at home.  I settled on the cup pipe only, but have heard there's risk of damage to the secondary muffler under high pressures.

I've only experienced the shifter in the cold weather and that is pretty uncomfortable to touch. I've had aluminium shifters on past cars and they certainly heat up in the summer. 

Installing the cup pipe was no problem, it was re-installing the secondary muffler. I was working with the car on the ground, was too hard to lift the heavy muffler and reach the attaching bolts at the back. I'm sure if I put the car on jack stands it would have been easy but I just paid the shop $50 and it was done in no time. 

I've only experienced the shifter in the cold weather and that is pretty uncomfortable to touch. I've had aluminium shifters on past cars and they certainly heat up in the summer. 

Installing the cup pipe was no problem, it was re-installing the secondary muffler. I was working with the car on the ground, was too hard to lift the heavy muffler and reach the attaching bolts at the back. I'm sure if I put the car on jack stands it would have been easy but I just paid the shop $50 and it was done in no time. 

ha..I know that pain...lying on your back trying to balance it. I used a jack stand to support the muffler at one end while I did up the bolts.

• 6 months later...

No major updates for the 964 to round off the year although my stalling and bad idle problems got progressively worse as the year came to a close. Car almost became undriveable, couldn't hold revs and was an absolute pig. Given I have already been though all of this and replaced the ICV and 02 sensor with new items, the DME has been recalibrated, I went back to basics. Pulled the ICV and Air Flow Meter off, sure enough, they were absolutely caked in oil. A meticulous clean out with carb cleaner and the car is rock solid again!

The only other mechanical hiccup was a failure to start last week. Turned the key, it started then just died. Several attempts to follow and it would just not kick over. First thing i did was change the DME relay with the spare which i have been carrying around for 3.5 years and boom, turned over first go. I've lost count how many times I have changed the DME relay hoping it would fix an idle problem in the past, finally it came in handy!

Paint has been looking a little unkept of late, really needed some loving so dropped it off to Polishwoks in Cremorne for a clay, cut and polish then a ceramic coating. Got the car back today and it is looking mint! 3 passes on the polish then 2 coats of ceramic coating. Highly recommend Polishworks, pretty well priced too given the job he did. Had the car for 5 business days plus the weekend.

38821241725_2dccce8c46_c.jpg

39688423152_8222e4c9cb_c.jpg

38821238265_19b5149878_c.jpg

On 6/30/2017 at 4:42 PM, poli84 said:

I have had on of those momo buttons sitting on my desk for ages. Mind sharing how you fitted it?

1 hour ago, jamesb said:

I have had on of those momo buttons sitting on my desk for ages. Mind sharing how you fitted it?

If you pull apart the horn button you simply need to take a mallet or something similar and slightly flatten the brass cup that sits inside it. Don't go nuts - a little bit at a time. It's just about making space for the thicker 'leather' button to be able to be pushed in. Reassemble and just test it (you don't need to put it back into the car to feel it). It'll either feel the way you're used to it feeling or it won't push all the way in. If it's not going all the way in, just flatten the brass cup a little further. Ten minute job. Really easy.

2 hours ago, jamesb said:

41 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

If you pull apart the horn button you simply need to take a mallet or something similar and slightly flatten the brass cup that sits inside it. Don't go nuts - a little bit at a time. It's just about making space for the thicker 'leather' button to be able to be pushed in. Reassemble and just test it (you don't need to put it back into the car to feel it). It'll either feel the way you're used to it feeling or it won't push all the way in. If it's not going all the way in, just flatten the brass cup a little further. Ten minute job. Really easy.

Exactly what Andy said!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing new front pads and rotors last night after work.

I went with Sebro cross drilled rotors which is what I was already running in the rears with OEM pads and new wear sensors from Doncaster Porsche. I've never done a rotor install before but it seemed easy enough. Bought myself a new torque wrench for the job and took my time. 

Although I had no issues with the install, I wish i allowed more time to really clean up while I had the rotors off but I needed to get the job done last night with brakes bedded in as we are taking the 964 to Wye River tomorrow for 4 days with plenty of spirited runs. 

39962012332_d72d47fd7a_z.jpg 

39993421951_450b8808db_z.jpg

Archived