Thoughts on SC Seats?

Dusty

Hi all, while I'm waiting for my 78' SC to arrive in 2 weeks, I'm looking to sort out its front seats as the current ones are what a teenager would call 'groce.'

Looking to keep the interior period correct but on a budget, two things that don't really relate. Had the idea to buy some used but genuine ebay specials and have them recovered but I'm thinking this could be a false economy... Keen to hear anyone's thoughts on alternatives?  

post-1976-0-64218700-1412849670_thumb.jp

Second hand seats do come up from time to time so keep an eye out ebay, state club sites etc.

If your looking for aftermarket worth looking at cobra and Phill Lack (PFA member) at GTS classics. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys - I've had my eyes on those ebay seats and think that might just be the way to go. Certainly fits the budget requirement! There's also another option on Gumtree although many of the components look to be too far gone and just not required for my purposes. 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/richlands/auto-body-parts/porsche-911-sc-interior/1058671906

Those GTS seats are fantastic, I could really get carried away with those especially in the basket weave.  My original plans were to backdate and if I was still going down that path, I reckon these would be on order! 

I've found the standard seats in my 82 SC to be one of the more comfy car seats I've ever sat in. 

I've found the same with my seats (which I assume are SC items) I don't think I'd change them to anything else on long trips

I've found the standard seats in my 82 SC to be one of the more comfy car seats I've ever sat in.

My 80 SC standard seats were also very comfy but lacked lateral support. No good in corners. A set of Recaro sport recliners from eBay fixed that. Not original but made the car so much better to drive.

My 80 SC standard seats were also very comfy but lacked lateral support. No good in corners. A set of Recaro sport recliners from eBay fixed that. Not original but made the car so much better to drive.

Comfy, yes. Slippery and no lateral support, yes.

The electric sport memory seats in the BM are on a whole other level when it comes to comfort and holding power. Hate to think how much they weigh though.

Dusty, there are some electric seats on Gumtree in Adelaide. Ad says they're from an 87 Carrera.  They look in reasonable nick. 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenelg-east/other-parts-accessories/porsche-911-carrera-sports-seats/1058340801

Happy to have a look for you if need be.  It's not far from my place.  Would be a nice Saturday morning drive for coffee.

No affiliation with the seller BTW.

Appreciate the offer Stew, that's very kind of you.

My search has led me on a wild goose chase because I'll need 'cork' seats to match my interior which invariably means re-covering anything I buy. Looking at the options available, its either an expensive leather kit which may not fit well or a far cheaper vinyl option that I have even less faith in; I'm yet to look into local upholsterers but I'd doubt that'll be within my limited budget and could be another lottery...! 

I'm also noticing sometimes subtle changes in the structure of some of the seats from 77' beyond 87 which reduces the availability of some kits.

Aaargh!

Has anyone had any experience in re-covering? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dusty,

I haven't been on here much lately and hadn't previously read this post, BUT I have a spare set of front seats in cork colour if you are interested and I'm on the north side of Brissy. They need some work as there is a little bit of damage to the covers. Originally out of my 76 Targa.

PM if you want more details.

Steve

Archived