Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

i was lucky enough to have an electric car on loan for 3 months as part of the Vic Govt trials.  

While the Nissan Leaf is an early version of this type of car and has an number of quirks..

there is an awful lot to like about EV's

Not the least of which was I never visited a petrol station for 3 months....   B)

oh lucky you, I tried to get into that trial but didn't make it.

I've driven a few electric cars and for inner city driving I think they will be great.

e.g. my 15km 60kmh max trip to work via small streets.

it was a hoot, heaps of torque (relative of course) from the electric motor

It will sip its wheels with 5 ppl on board...  

and the pull is linear all the way up past 140kph

the range was the only real killer with the leaf

real word its about 90-100kms but for most ppl that's the bulk of their driving

But the Tesla is a different thing entirely 

ACT: registration Incentives for low emissions cars.

Is it still true that the big 4WD's get less luxury tax?

I am liking the prices of the Tesla S 60

and why is it so much cheaper in the ACT?

Wonder how much they will be 2nd hand.

yeah but with electricity there's many ways of generating it and if you care enough you just have to tick the box in your electricity to get green energy.

well that's how it's suppose to work anyway.

yeah but with electricity there's many ways of generating it and if you care enough you just have to tick the box in your electricity to get green energy.

well that's how it's suppose to work anyway.

Clean green power goes from Tas to mainland via Basslink. In return we get dirty brown power. So no leccy car for me.

Fixed.

And import duty

And parallel import restrictions

And ADRs

+1 but you forgot stamp duty :)

As a bare minimum the LCT should kick in at a more reasonable level than the joke that is $60k...what sort of "luxury" car do you get for $60k anyway?!?!

And as we're soon not to have a car industry here we can do away with all the other protectionist duties too.

Clean green power goes from Tas to mainland via Basslink. In return we get dirty brown power. So no leccy car for me.

Do you mean that the hydro power from Tassie is sent to Victoria and you don't actually use it in Tassie?

I am hoping that the Lockheed Martin Fusion reactor is more then just talk.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/next-generation/lockheed-martins-plan-to-make-fusion-a-reality-17337914

+1 but you forgot stamp duty :)

As a bare minimum the LCT should kick in at a more reasonable level than the joke that is $60k...what sort of "luxury" car do you get for $60k anyway?!?!

And as we're soon not to have a car industry here we can do away with all the other protectionist duties too.

Good point, a Toyota landcrsuier can hit $100k + without blinking an eye... hell the base model is like $85k  :o

Just had a ride in a Tesla P85S and its incredibly quick accelerating. Amazing.

I was in one a couple of days ago.

Sure it's impressively fast  and has all the bells and whistles but frankly it was as boring as bats#*t.

For that sort of money I would want something like a C63 that lets you know it's a monster.

So many gizmos, and that huge display screen that apparently runs all the time.

I found it pretty annoying.

Upholstery design is attractive and comfortable but somehow it is still like driving your laptop.

I wonder how all those inner suburban greenies are going to plug it in while parked out front of their terrace houses.

Can see a few problems there.

I'm still old school. I prefer this.

Guest Harold

I was in the Marriott in Melbourne last week and when i arrived to check in i saw a Tesla parked out the front. It is only the second one i have ever seen. This one was a four door sedan and looked quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been talking over the Model S with my old man lately after we saw one in HK, its a quite attractive looking car!

Had a play with the configurator and the P85 with a couple of options comes in at $152k on the road NSW. 

ScreenShot2014-11-05at105232AM_zps9ca9bf

does anyone have information with regards to the true cost per mile (km) for plug ins and EV's? I'm thinking of the A3 E-Tron myself. 

Archived