Tesla Model S P85D: Dual motors, AWD, 691 hp, 3.2 to 60

Have been talking over the Model S with my old man lately after we saw one in HK, its a quite attractive looking car!

Had a play with the configurator and the P85 with a couple of options comes in at $152k on the road NSW. 

ScreenShot2014-11-05at105232AM_zps9ca9bf

does anyone have information with regards to the true cost per mile (km) for plug ins and EV's? I'm thinking of the A3 E-Tron myself. 

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#

Ha, try buying electricity in Australia these days for .12 / kWh as shown in that calculator.

The easily alarmed and misled have put paid to those days.  My last bill was .25-.29 / kWh (i see you put in .30)

What a splendid idea jacking up the price of electricity was!  Why, it's almost like we are getting the exact same product for 2-3 times the price it used to be.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Australia had some of the cheapest power in the world, and industry flourished as a result.  But I bet all those lost jobs and income have been worth it, especially for those sacked and lugged with higher cost of living.

/rant 

sorry, it really cheeses me off what has happened in the last ten years.

Edit : On topic, I hope that Tesla is successful as they seem to be avoiding the urge to gouge Australian car buyers and are going to start taking big chunks out of BMW/Merc.  I hope they set up their supercharger stations around the place.

Yeah, those numbers are calculated on Aussie prices for fuel and energy... I used $0.30 for kw/h and about $1.7 per/L for the fuel. 

22 MPG is about what the old mans IS 350 gets and about 10K miles P.A. for the usage. 

Not bad, not that much saved either at that usage.... enough for a decent bottle of red every week! :lol:  

Yeah, those numbers are calculated on Aussie prices for fuel and energy... I used $0.30 for kw/h and about $1.7 per/L for the fuel. 

22 MPG is about what the old mans IS 350 gets and about 10K miles P.A. for the usage. 

Not bad, not that much saved either at that usage.... enough for a decent bottle of red every week! :lol:  

Did you convert for US Gallons?  They are different to what we would consider a gallon.  You'd need to lookup the EPA classification for an IS 350

Really, though, at $150k you can't touch it for performance.  At least comparable to an M5 and for less than M3 money. Probably less than 550i money?

Of course the unknown at this point is resale value over 5 years, which is actually the biggest cost of all of any car, regardless of fuel type.

Did you convert for US Gallons?  They are different to what we would consider a gallon.  You'd need to lookup the EPA classification for an IS 350

Really, though, at $150k you can't touch it for performance.  At least comparable to an M5 and for less than M3 money. Probably less than 550i money?

Of course the unknown at this point is resale value over 5 years, which is actually the biggest cost of all of any car, regardless of fuel type.

Yes, all converted to relevant UOM's. 

You are right though.. I think its early days, maybe a bit too early to take the gamble! Hybrid has been in the market for some time now  on a large scale, EV has not.

I think battery technology is undergoing rapid change at the moment...

Bit like data / hard drive storage

each year they seem to be doubling the live / capacity of hi-tech batteries and halving the cost

so if you look at the first set of batteries lasting 10 years and keep in mind I think they quote batteries to be 80% efficient at 10 years - not DEAD, then the chances are the replacement set will provide a much longer run time and the cost will be a fraction of what a replacement is today.

Certainly its a gamble, but having lived with an EV for 3 months I am a big wrap for them as a DD

Still want my fossil fuel burning P car for fun though

The issue is not getting the government involved at all, except to cut taxes as per the gigafactory example.

'The taxing and regulating will continue until business improves!' - as seen outside every council, state and federal building in Australia.

We are where we are because government at each level insists on getting involved with the marketplace of land, energy and labour. The likes of Elon Musk wouldn't touch us with a bargepole for that sort of thing.  Little wonder Nevada won the gig, they've got a pretty relaxed view on just about everything.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. They have sold thousands of the things in the US and I've never heard if substations needing an upgrade. They need to upgrade homes ther because they only have a 110v supply which is not enough to charge quickly.

I had my house upgraded to three phase power for a new air conditioner and it cost nothing like $10k. If I remember it was about $1k and no big deal, took a couple of hours even including stringing up a new wire from the pole to the house.

Most houses have a 40 or 50 amp circuit to handle hot water systems and clothes dryers.

Chalk it up to another media beat up is my guess.

it'll probably be for the rapid charging system,

my guess is that it'll be fine on normal house current, but will just be slower.

Time for more research.

on the topic of electric cars, the Mitsubishi iMev that they used in the Electric Car Trials are now for sale at $15K each, not a bad price for those!

Edit:

Yeah its for quick charging, you can always just plug it into a normal socket, i.e. if you go on holidays you can just run and extension lead and charge it, the high power is for quick charging.

Tesla mention: 240V/40A and 240V/24A the 40A version just charges faster.

http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/highpower

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. They have sold thousands of the things in the US and I've never heard if substations needing an upgrade. They need to upgrade homes ther because they only have a 110v supply which is not enough to charge quickly.

I had my house upgraded to three phase power for a new air conditioner and it cost nothing like $10k. If I remember it was about $1k and no big deal, took a couple of hours even including stringing up a new wire from the pole to the house.

Most houses have a 40 or 50 amp circuit to handle hot water systems and clothes dryers.

Chalk it up to another media beat up is my guess.

I was quoted approx $5k for mine 10years ago if I req'd it.

Archived