Advice from Sydneysiders

It now looks like we are moving to Sydney.

My wife has an offer to study in Sydney Uni, so we need to find a place in Sydney area.

I'm looking for something near public transport (train would be good for her) and out of the city but in a nice area (good for me).    Multi car storage would be good too - 4 cars at the moment.

What areas would you suggest  ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central coast or Newcastle and commute……might work out cheaper

Thats a really good idea, as the Central Coast is a great place to live, and will be a lot cheaper for rent ..... but (there's always a but) ...... the travel does take its toll as it is still quite a distance from Sydney Uni .... could be up to 4 hours travel per day (depending on connections and waiting times)

Don't get me wrong, we welcome everyone, especially other Porsche owners ......

I would agree, Central Coast is a beautiful place and certainly a lot cheaper than Sydney.

The train ride to Sydney via Hawkesbury river is absolutely beautiful.

Two hrs each way (on average) gives you a good chance to relax and unwind. I love the train.......

My partner does it to St Leonards weekly and thoroughly enjoys the peace and quiet.

Hope to call you a neighbour soon !!!!!!!

I would agree, Central Coast is a beautiful place and certainly a lot cheaper than Sydney.

The train ride to Sydney via Hawkesbury river is absolutely beautiful.

Two hrs each way (on average) gives you a good chance to relax and unwind. I love the train.......

My partner does it to St Leonards weekly and thoroughly enjoys the peace and quiet.

Hope to call you a neighbour soon !!!!!!!

Hornsby?

the travel does take its toll as it is still quite a distance from Sydney Uni .... could be up to 4 hours travel per day (depending on connections and waiting times)

:wub:

I get annoyed at more than 30mins/day

How do you guys do it , and endure monsoons and hail as big as golfballs etc?

Everything in Sydney comes down to commute time and mode of transport. If she likes the train, pick a train line and go from there, search outward till you hit a budget you can manage for the space you can afford. Keep in mind that 'intercity' trains are generally 9x nicer (scientifically proven) than other trains in terms of noise and just general avoidance of 'riff raff' check out the train timetable to see where they stop.

If you must commute by car I'd sacrifice space to make that as short as possible - keep in mind that in some areas of Sydney there is no time of day where the traffic stops.

Disclaimer: I'd rather slash my own wrists than commute by car in Sydney. I also would rather throw myself into a vat of boiling oil before I'd get on a train during peak hour.

Hey BBC,

Hornsby is not to bad either. A little more populated and doesn't have the beaches as readily accessible but still ok. Nice big Westfield there and also cuts travel time by approx 1/2 hr.

Lived there for 12 months myself when i worked in Chatswood.

For lifestyle and if you have kids i would recommend the extra 1/2 hr sacrifice though to live on the Central Coast.

Good luck deciding but well worth a visit to check out........

I love how you are recommending to sacrifice an extra 1/2 hour and it's not even BBC doing the travelling ..... :D

But I have to agree with Corky ..... The Coast is a great place to live and great for kids ....lots of water within 15 mins from everywhere .......

I moved here from Sydney 15 years ago and love it .....

Hornsby?

Anywhere around Hornsby, Asquith, Normanhurst, Wahroonga, Turramurra nice and leafy suburbs, access to railway, shops etc.  These areas are higher in altitude than most of the rest of Sydney hence, not as hot in summer.  Also, not far from M1 (north) M2 (south, west) to get out of town quickly when you go driving.

I live in Thornleigh which is a touch south of Hornsby.  Autohaus Hamilton do a pick up and drop off of your car when it's time for servicing as they pass through that area, something to consider.  Happy to discuss with you offline.

Cheers.

David.

I'd suggest the Manly/seaforth area and get the ferry to Circular Quay each day, then a quick train trip to the Uni.

Expensive, but my 3 hour commute each way from Newcastle to Sydney a few times a week is miserable, and the trains are often disrupted by freight train breakdowns at Hawkesbury.

Anywhere from Berowra onward would be worth considering.

Anywhere around Hornsby, Asquith, Normanhurst, Wahroonga, Turramurra nice and leafy suburbs, access to railway, shops etc.  

Yea, anywhere on the north-west line between Chatswood & Hornsby would be nice. Leafy suburbs and lots of national parks.

If you want beaches, try the north i.e. Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen & Warriewood. No trains but bus to central in about an hour. Good bang for your buck house price wise, at least by Sydney standards. 

I get annoyed at more than 30mins/day

15 is my limit...inner-west FTW!

Chris,

Having just relocated back to Sydney I've got some recent experiences. Happy if you want to PM me.

In terms of area, frankly it's a matter of how deep your pockets are. I'm originally from the upper north shore (the areas like Pymble, Gordon and Killara) which are really nice and quiet, great for schools etc. However, I am now in the Inner West and really prefer the lifestyle and proximity to the city. If you're looking for some value, renting in areas like Haberfield, Five Dock and Drummoyne (or even Croydon and Croydon Park) will give you easy access to the light rail or commuter rail to Sydney Uni. You'll likely get a larger house with garaging and off street parking too (I have 4 garages at my house in Croydon)

In the end it's a matter of looking where you feel comfortable I suppose. Given we have a house on the Central Coast as well I would suggest that if your budget extends to living in Sydney itself your wife will be happier with the commute.

Like I said....happy to help if you need some advice.

Five Dock and Drummoyne 

wise words :)

Born and bred there so I'm biased but they are really great suburbs. Lots of restaurants & cafes, surrounded by water and parks, the world famous "Bay Run", plenty of options for shopping (both retail and groceries) and close to the city yet still relatively quiet. More/easier transport to the city from Drummoyne.  

Not cheap to buy though, think >$1.5m for a 3 bedroom house with garage with Drummoyne being more still. 

Most of the suburbs being mentioned are > 2 million (and some > 3 million) for anything with a 4 car garage keep that in mind. If that's in the budget then the only place to be is the inner west. Toxteth area of Glebe, Annandale, Lilyfield (slightly cheaper) are all < 5mins from Sydney uni. The closest suburb where you can get a family home in the traditional sense is Haberfield but again it is exy.

Edit: Renting in most of these suburbs makes more sense as most of the rental returns on the larger properties are 2-2.5%

Archived