Advice from Sydneysiders

If the whole central coast/long commute is an option I'd also advise considering south.  Cronulla/Sutherland down to the Northern suburbs of Wollongong.  Everything comes down to budget, desirable block size/sq metres and commute tolerance.  We don't need to commute so we opted for the leafy outlook & size option - with the inevitable trade off being access to a variety of quality dining options.  We're about 1 hr to cbd & 5 min to beach & happy with that but if I was working in the CBD there's no way I'd be this far out...

I should add that having the national park on the doorstep is nice for driving too :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inner west is good for sure! I would second that notion.. I grew up in Drummoyne. :)

We had/have similar requirements to you Chris. But not the budget that's needed to buy what wed of wanted in the innerwest.

We're at Picnic point basically.. So we are bordering Sutherland shire and Hurstville. We love it, big block, pleasant setting (we back onto a nature strip/reserve) generally good neighbours, boat ramp a few hundred meters away and most places are 20-30 minutes away at the most. Work wise my partner works in the CBD and commutes daily by train (direct line) I'm close to my business at Milperra. The days I need to fly no problem I either drive to the airport for the day trips or jump on a train for the longer ones.

You can still buy something nice here for around 1M or less if your willing to compromise... Around $800k will get you into a house or new townhouse alas the townhouses don't have the car capacity us people require :lol:

I previously lived in Beecroft and Pennant Hills. Quite nice and green, had larger blocks and close to train lines...but probably also starting over a mil for something decent...

I'd live there again.

Train ride to cbd was around 40min from memory.

Its staggering to think what we pay to live here. If my business wasn't in town I'd be out of here!

Luckily I live on the very outskirts of Sydney in a rural area, but I can feel the bloody urban expansion creeping up on me.

Move to Newcastle and study at the Uni here, all the money that you save after you buy your above average house for $6-$800,000K, that would normally cost you $1.5-$1.8 mil in Sydney, you can spend on enjoying the lifestyle and vineyards, beaches and restaurants, cafe's, shopping, etc that the area has to offer. Not to mention that even if you lived a long way from the CBD it would probably still only take you maybe 40mins to get there.

It takes me 22mins to drive to work and 30mins on a really bad day, I don't know how Sydney siders can take the daily grind of traffic every day, I know a lot of people take public transport to help ease this but I still see only 1 person in their cars commuting when I visit down there.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....it appears this is getting closer to becoming reality......and it will be Sydney inner city :(

However, nothing in my price range in the inner city has anywhere close to enough garage spots for my cars.

So, if I look at getting a warehouse somewhere close (Artarmon....any other ideas) does any PFAer need a place to store their car also.   Would not be a hi-tech auto entry keypad eyeball anal scan entry system......would just be me with a couple of padlocks to start with.

Comments welcome.

Guest Harold

Some parts of Five Dock and Canada Bay are not that expensive. Mind you living where we do, anything under $3 million is regarded as not that expensive.

I heard the other day on a real estate radio show, that the MEDIAN house price in Sydney is sitting at about $930k ...... that is insane levels and all of the areas you are looking at are contributing to the high median price .....

Have you thought of staying where you are, renting/sharing a unit/flat (or even boarding) and the Mrs doing the commute.  No disruption for the kids (or the cars). Depending on how long her studies go for and airline timetables/fares it may be worth considering.

Difficult for family life though.

Have you thought of staying where you are, renting/sharing a unit/flat (or even boarding) and the Mrs doing the commute. No disruption for the kids (or the cars). Depending on how long her studies go for and airline timetables/fares it may be worth considering.

Difficult for family life though.

Yes, that was my first option, but 4 years is a long time.....I'm still working on it though.

Archived