Where to find decklid to replace whaletail? - '84 3.2 Carrera

DTC911

Still reasonably new here and just looking to replace the whaletail on my '84 3.2 Carrera with a normal deck lid.

Anyone know of where I could source this?

On the flip side - I'll be looking to sell a nice whaletail!

thanks for your guidance

Well DTC, welcome but you have set yourself a task here.

The act of herecy removing the original whaletail to replace with the plain decklid has become almost an obsession with owners worldwide of recent years

I too have fallen for the plain decklid siren, albeit several years ago now when availability was less of an issue.

Sadly I am another one of those useless forum members that join conversations and just prattle without giving you any real help but I can tell you that it may be worth casting your net overseas to see what is available on evilbay etc.

You will also have to obtain the grille and the special mounting bolts.

Expect to pay at least $400 for the lid and $120 or so for the grille. Forget what the fittings are worth but not cheap.

Add the colour change if necessary and it starts to add up.

Don't forget if you do have to buy O/S there is shipping to add in.

The cleaner look when done is well worth the effort in my IMHO.

There will be plenty that defend the whaletail but if you want to buy one there are plenty around hanging in garages waiting for new owners so that must say something.

Good luck with the hunt, who knows someone might have one in the right colour ready to go in the suburb next to you for a couple of hundred.

Whatever, don't dilly dally if one comes up it wont be there for long.

There will be plenty that defend the whaletail but if you want to buy one there are plenty around hanging in garages waiting for new owners so that must say something.

Some tails look OK on some models.

Otherwise they are like 70s flared jeans, and not all fashions endure!

I just bought a fibreglass decklid from rennspd, was a bit over $300US including delivery to oz . Despite searching high and low, I couldn't find a cheap grill and ended up paying another $250 delivered for an OEM one off ebay. Both sellers are unrelated to me.

The decklid arrives as raw fibreglass and needs minor prep before painting whereas the grill looks great and is ready to bolt straight on. There's no other hardware required either, just the latch which you can transplant from your existing tail.

All this said and while my decklid is in the process of being painted, I'm having doubts that it's the right way to go. I'll definitely be keeping the whale tail so I can chop and change as the mood strikes.

Thanks for the suggestions here and the hunt ahead that awaits.

Not sure if the 964 bootlid will fit - will need to do more research. I'll also have a look into the o/s options

Thanks again

This is the look I am going for.  It's the US Weissach edition.

$_12.JPG

Except for the colour coded wheels.

$_12.JPG

Link in case you want to buy said car (yeah, I know, belongs in the international whats for sale thread)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191394774152 - currently bidding at $20k

I will stop derailing the thread now  <_<

coastr believe it is Carrera tail, not tea tray - what does an early Carrera tail look like?

Also guessing just have to dismantle and reattach all 'the bits' that are hooked up to the lid - (cooling etc)

very much beginner questions here!  Guess you were all there at some stage!

An early carrera / turbo tail is like the one in the image I just posted.  You can tell because it has a 'dip' in it where the engine grill sits. instead of being flat like the later tails.  The turbo tails had an extra grill in the flat part of the tail, while early carrera tails belonged to the carrera 3.0 and had a different grill arrangement to the similar turbo tails.  Strictly speaking, these are the true 'whale' tails.

Later carrera tails have a flat lid extending out to the rear lip.  The carrera tails have a smaller rubber lip.  Tea trays have an upturned rubber lip right around the edge.

SCs could be ordered with a tail, and some say you got a tea tray tail, and others say you got a carrera tail.  Most 84 3.2 carreras have a carrera tail, while turbos got the tea tray from when they went to a 3.3 and intercooler.

The definitive thread on tails : http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/527702-original-oem-tail-thread-collective-documentation.html

Beware : it's mind boggling and the rule is : all the rules on tails are true except where they are not.  The reason is dealer fitment and various short-run specials in different countries of origin.

Thanks again for all those that chimed in here - met with  a member in Melbs to discuss further.

I now know considerably more about tails, spoilers, trays, decks, lids, grilles and bolts!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived