2015 Navigation Update

Guest Harold

Harold,

I got the letter as well, foolishly I thought it might be a complimentary update, you know, after paying $250K plus for a car & all. Then I opened the brochure & only $395 for the map update! I can buy a TomTom for less than $200 or a whole of Australia map for $84! Porsche maps must cost more as they are translated from English to German & back to English again then into Australian I guess. And no, I will not be getting the map update.

Harold,

I got the letter as well, foolishly I thought it might be a complimentary update, you know, after paying $250K plus for a car & all. Then I opened the brochure & only $395 for the map update! I can buy a TomTom for less than $200 or a whole of Australia map for $84! Porsche maps must cost more as they are translated from English to German & back to English again then into Australian I guess. And no, I will not be getting the map update.

Thanks Greg. I have tried to call the dealer twice but service is constantly on the phone. i don't think i will bother either. Its not like they have moved suburbs or towns around recently. Presumably Parramatta is pretty much where it has been for the past few years.

Factory nav is like buying a house with a pool.

As in awesome and a great idea?

I seriously don't understand why car companies overprice their nav updates.  It's like they treat their customers as idiotic children unable to do a price check.

I'm going out on a limb here - but if they sold updates for - I don't know - $80 a year - then just about all the customers would go for one as part of their service.   But price it at $300 and they would sell approximately zero.

In europe you can buy the disks direct from the companies that produce them, which keeps a lid on the dealer prices.  In Australia, when I looked into it a while back,  no such offerings.

I drive around with a 12 year old map in my car.  On the odd occasion when I do use it, it works perfectly well.  Most streets don't change - it's only the new freeways and tunnels and things that get moved around, and those are usually signposted well enough to figure it out.

Not to sound glib.....but this is a real "first world problem" isn't it?

Frankly speaking, with so few new roads and infrastructure built I wouldn't bother with the update.

Get the update when the WestConnex is finished.....you'll be waiting a while!

I use an app on my phone called SYGIC.  Its brilliant.

The maps are loaded onto your phone so you do not need mobile network coverage for it to work.  This is a really key point as many phone/tablet based apps require a 3G signal to know where they are and consequently get "lost" when you are up in the hills.

So far in the three years I've had it all updates / upgrades have been free.

There are maps available for all over the world, take it with you when you travel.

and for me the whole grail.  

I can draw/load SMT's type routes into my iPad, save them to the cloud and when i open my phone in the car.  

There they are.  

I get turn by turn instructions as I go.  

Something i've not been able to do with other navigation apps, including map draw etc etc.

OK tried it for the first time yesterday and made one cock up but next time it will be better  <_<

and the investment?

I think its under $30

Archived