Beyond 200.000 KM

My 98 Boxster hit 200.000 K's the other day and I'm beginning to wonder how long these cars can actually last  before the engine finally decides to call it a day?

944s can get 300,000k's and run good. 

Having said that. Rebuilding my engine at 180,000 ks and the piston rings had 1mm+ gaps in them. 

Well let's say the Boxsters can go 250, 000 before work becomes necessary. Perhaps they are good for 400000km,  if driven by little old ladies.

What then? How much? What is the 10-15 yo car worth at that point? Or are they like little old ladies - trade up?

Good effort! 200k in a convertible is no mean feat.

I would keep driving it until you find out.  The difference in used value between 200k and 250k is not much.  At those distances people are already mentally factoring in a limited lifespan.   If the engine goes I'd say it would be cheaper to find a used replacement and bung that in.

But I reckon if you keep it serviced 300 is a distinct possibility.

This is kinda scary reading , almost as bad as an air cooled 911  :wub:

btw Coastr why does convertibility have any bearing on engine longevity? Are the typical (i.e. a large cross section of the sports car community) owners generally more rev happy or less cosseting?

Because there's no way I could handle that far in an open car.  That's a lot of hours sitting either in the sun or with a tent over your head.  I'm saying well done for actually driving a convertible that far, because I couldn't manage it.

for me the worst part about driving a soft top is the guilt feeling I get when I pull up the lights and everyone else has to listen to my music...

Oh and I have crap hearing so its probably loud as well  :blink:

Archived