996/7 IMS Failure

Red3.2

Hi to all,

For those who are thinking of a 996/7 and those who have one and are worried about

their motor exploding (Intermediate Shaft Failure) take a look at the latest Total 911 article.

it would be interesting to find out how many motors have self destructed

due to IMS failure ( not over exuberance)in P/Clubs Aust and members of the forum?

Cheers

Steve.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

I bought a copy of Total 911 and read the article. Excellent article. Deals with the facts, how to remedy and prevent etc. Even more interesting was the Welcome note on page 3 by editor Philip Raby;

"Every driver of a modern 911 or Boxter is sitting on a time bomb about to blow up with expensive consequences. Or so the internet forums would have you think, if you look up issues with IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing failures.

This has always bugged me. I get to drive lots of modern Porsches and speak to countless owners and to technicians who repair them. And you know what? I've never had personal experience of IMS failure. Lucky? Perhaps, but it's more likely that it's because IMS failure is relatively rare - our research suggests that less than 5% of cars are effected.

So that's why, in this issue, we cut through the hysteria and explain clearly what IMS failure is, and talk to people who know the problem inside and out. It's an important article that, I hope, will reassure owners of effected cars and anyone who's thinking of buying one."

Key to these cars is to know the facts and stats, work the 5% likelyhood into your purchasing decision and make an informed decision. Four years ago I went thought the same process and have very much enjoyed my car.

Regards,

Andy S

Hi Andy and Whipit,

Nice addition to the article Andy but it shows how you have to take a lot of whats on some forums with a grain of salt. I think some people just like to spread bad news without much to back the claims up.

Whipit, Total 911 issue 69 out last week, leaning toward this mag as my preferred but as most of us will pick up most of the regular mags.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi Jnr356,

Obviously not an Urban mirth, but do they deserve the bad rap they get?

I can tell you factual stories on the new VW Golf, blowing motors and turbos I have one and have done

200000K+ in three years and would get another one even with the problems.

I think its called eyes wide open.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi Whipit,

I had to go to 3 newsagents before I found someone that stocked Total 911. It is a good article and worth reading. Has a bit about basic care and 'good habits' to be in. ie/ warming up and warming down does even mention 'don't pussyfoot' with the car they are designed to see the upper end of the tacho (without redlining every gear change). They say that this actually helps get oil 'splash' to the deepest darkest corners of the engine and help protect this bearing. Again they are talking of only about a 5% failure rate. The cost of bearing upgrades represents about 15% of the cost of a rebiuld so I would question doing the replacement but it depests on how you like to play the odds. If you cant find the mag send me a personal message with your details and I will be happy to copy it and send it to you.

Regards,

Andy S

Hi Gary,

if you have an Ipad you can get an APP also Iphone but much better on Ipad. I have had volume 71 for two weeks. So I am two months in front of what the newsagents have. It comes up on the App as soon as it is released for sale in the UK and costs $5.99 a copy instead of around $10 for the paper version.

Cheers

chris

Can you please tell me the page where this is in Total 911 (I suppose it is number 71 , right, latest ) ?

I bought it on my iphone but damn if I can find it; very small and hard to read/search. I do not recommend this on the iphone, I don't have an Ipad (yet).

thanks a lot.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting article, I just rang my Porsche service guy here in Adelaide. I asked him straight up "am I driving a hand grenade waiting to blow" His answer no, there were some problems with very early cars, not so much later ones, the ones he has seen with problems were quote "not without good reason like track work or poor maintenance" Not sure what to make of it all really, I guess realistically just drive it and enjoy it.

Can you please tell me the page where this is in Total 911 (I suppose it is number 71 , right, latest ) ?

i bought it on my iphone but damn if I can find it; very small and hard to read/search. I do not recommend this on the iphone, I don't have an Ipad (yet).

thanks a lot.

Hi T/124

Issue 69 is the one you need it has only just hit our newsagents, the article you have found on the internet is old (2009) but along the same lines, a lot more extra info in the latest issue.

cheers

Steve.

• 5 months later...

Expensive problem if it happens and you don't catch it in time: Certainly. But every car/engine has problem areas and we just know a lot more about our engines than the average car owner.

Why is it so publicized: Because Porsche hasn't provided information or a preventative fix. Because you have to replace your engine or have a total rebuild and that costs bundles.

How prevalent: maybe 1%/car/year.

When can it happen: Any time between 5km and 300km. But only on cars with an IMS so the latest Boxsters, 997s and Caymans are immune.

Anything you can do cheaply to prevent/detect the problem: Change oil much more frequently than the book calls for...maybe 4-5 times as often. Install an oil filler plug with a magnet. Check the contents of the oil filter or magnetic plug on every oil change. If ferrous metal is detected (test with magnet) have IMS changed immediately without driving a single km. Use good oil.

What can you do to significantly increase the probability it doesn't happen to your engine:

1. Replace the existing IMS bearing assembly with one with improved wear characteristics and better lubrication scheme. See LNengineering.com

2. Replace the oil filler plug with a plug equipped with a method of detecting the problem in its early stages. Not available yet but in test from flat6innovation.com.

Isn't there something cheaper: Pelican says they will have a cheaper IMS bearing replacement kit out but it will not use the ceramic bearing that the LN kit uses. A comparison of the kits is available here http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages/ims-kits and while the site is 986 Boxster oriented, the engines aren't that different <grin>.

Replace your IMS and RMS at least when you do your clutch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, just would like to know if anyone on here has had this happen to them.

I am not after, I knew a guy who knew a guy..... or this magazine said this, or that.....

or I was in at the Porsche centre and I saw this car.....

Has any member of this forum ever had a 996 have an IMS failure happen to THEM?

Just interested.

With all due respect, I thought my questions was pretty clear, I didnt want to hear the "saw plenty....." brigade.

Has anyone on this forum been behind the wheel of a 996 when there has been an IMS failure?

Pretty simple questions isnt it? It's not about me "believing" anything, it's about trying to find out the facts.

Archived