996/7 IMS Failure

Red3.2

most were done under warranty,i doubt that porsche would have filled in the clients as to specific details

i only repaired one personally,diagnosed many others

at the beginning they tried another type of bearing as a cure,some worked some didn't

the symptoms were leaking around the rear main area,gearboxes were coming out left,right and centre initially,it was thought the rear main seals were faulty

2 instances i was present during was when cars came in for their 1st service(3,000k's)and the owners were told their cars would be 2 weeks because they needed new engines

other symptoms were running rough,noise from engine and quite a few just wouldn't start in the morning.

but you don't seem to want to hear that

do you really think porsche would publicise this?

resort to the name calling,as i said believe what you want

but urban myth ,no!

and those are the facts as i know them

have a nice day ;)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys, I need to step in here. I just want to remind everyone just how lucky we all are to have such great cars and to be able to share the passion. There are people everywhere who could only ever dream to be in our position.

Please be kind to each other and continue to enjoy our wonderful cars and share the knowledge that some of those amongst us have.

Cheers

Chris

Ok guys, I need to step in here. I just want to remind everyone just how lucky we all are to have such great cars and to be able to share the passion. There are people everywhere who could only ever dream to be in our position.

Please be kind to each other and continue to enjoy our wonderful cars and share the knowledge that some of those amongst us have.

Cheers

Chris

I agree Chris. I have deliberately kept out of this (for obvious reasons). Many will have preferences of one model over another but one thing needs to be remembered is that all porsches provide an experience for the owner that many will never get do enjoy.

Relax boys

Guest vas930

Lets not forget how lucky we are to have the likes of Jnr on this forum.

We are all Porsche fans.

However, to have some with the inside knowledge is an asset.

This issue is a fact,but rare.

996 is a great car with a potential issue.

Better to be aware. :)

Jnr356, apologies the "chump" reference, and tone, it was out of line. I am an absolute novice with regards to P cars, I let the keyboard get the better of me. I agree, the forum is somewhere to share the passion, not aggression. Hopefully you will accept my apology.

To clarify, I am certainly not sticking my head in the sand that it doesn't/didn't happen, what I really want to know if first hand from someone it happened too, what they were doing at the time and what caused it. What concerns me is the way the problem is portrayed my car is a ticking time bomb and will be forever. Somewhere someone said, "could happen at 1,500km, could happen at 150,000km, who knows" or words to that effect. So called "infant failures" are not uncommon in engineering, particularly with a completely new design. If the failure was this then at least I can sleep easy, and not worry every time the tacho heads up near 7,000 rpm, after all that is the enjoyment of these cars. That's why I am interested in listening to someone (more than one) who it actually happened too, particularly if it had a few km's on the clock, to see what they were really doing at the time.

Hopefully we can get back to chatting about our cars instead of arcing people up, sorry for that.

Gary

Gary thank you for making the apology.

I think that the more you can find out about these issues the more you can do to prevent/minimise the chances of it occurring to your own prized posession.

If you can't get your hands on the article then you can contact AndyS who has previously made an offer to you in an earlier post.

I have never met jnr356 but I have read many of his postings on this forum over a long period of time and I have to say that his P-Car knowledge is very impressive and his opinion very creditable. But good on you for getting him to write the longest post I have ever seen from him ;):lol:

IMHO

Well finally got a chance to sit down and read the article (thanks Andy). All seems to make sense, I guess the truth is any car can fail. My car is a tiptronic so changing when the clutch is being done isn't going to work for me.

Hard to know what to do really other than drive it, I certainly don't want to sell it, but it does make me think twice about one day doing a bit of track work with it which is a petty as it is one of the reasons I bought it. Truthfully it does appear to be a bit of a luck dip. My car was very low mileage, but now is driven 500k's a week, so hard to know if that's good or bad, pretty much the whole IMS thing all over...

Again would really be nice to hear from someone who it has happened too, especially with a few km on the clock just to find out exactly how they were treating it at the time.

Gary

• 5 months later...

2002 996 manual with 79000 miles. Original clutch and no RMS or IMS issue. I don't track the car and change oil every year or around 7000 miles in Southern California. I think this IMS is the same kinda myth spreading the Porsche 928 forums regarding premature broken timing belt which does happen due to defective water pumps, high mileage cars in hot or vey cold climate but is not something to lose sleep. My Porsche 928 first timing belt was replaced around 100,000 miles not reading Porsche recommended 60,000 mile replacement. However I'll have the IMS and RMS inspected at clutch replacement. Problems I had was a leaky coolant tank $120(ebay) , ignition swith $15(audi/vw part), tires, and regular maintenance. No labor since I work on my own cars.

Here is the article. http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf

2002 Porsch 996 79000 miles

1986 Porsche 928 32V 5 SPEED. 188,000 miles

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

My first post on the forum, and a sad one at that. Bought a very clean and tidy 1998 996 Carerra 2 from PIckles Auction last week 157k with full logbooks and service history, . Drove it only 8kms up the highway, and temps hit 100+ and creeping to 120. Turn off, pull over and smoke coming out of the engine bay, blue smoke not white. Not sure what it is yet, but the water bottle is dry and when I opened the oil there was mayo spitting out of it. I'm pretty sure thats the reason it was flogged through an auction.

Probably not an IMS failure, maybe a cylinder has let go, or cylinder head, but I think I'm up for a new engine. Ah well the car came very cheap, at least I've got about another $12k - $15k to spend before I'd be losing money on it. I have 2 356's and have rebuilt engines on classics but never done much with modern stuff apart from servicing.

I have a hoist, workshop (for my classics), and a good tool set. Just wondering if I should buy a second hand motor (maybe a 3.6 not a 3.4) from the states and do an engine swap. Anyone any ideas on how hard it might be? I brought in a 356SC motor for my 60 356 Super90 recently and it was about $7k all up.

Well looks like I'll be busy for the next few months, and learning a lot about 996's

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Guest vas930

Sorry to hear this, Steve.

Not sure on the prices on a reco 996 engine.

Have a think about a 997 engine for it.

The 996 has had a few issues, IMS and a few valve seat problems.

Please let us know what you find.

Good luck with the fix.

• 2 months later...

As I understand it, the risk of failure with a replacement engine is exactly the same as with the original one because the engine is fundamentally the same.

Some things to bear in mind:

1 - As I've posted before, nobody truly knows the size of the problem because lots of people go online to post that their engine has suffered IMS failure but very few go online to post that their car is fine. This is not to dispute that there is a problem, merely to raise the flag that the stats are not really known.

2 - The LN Engineering IMS bearing update seems to be an effective cure. It's a relatively inexpensive piece of preventative maintenance, and should be seriously considered on any 996/986 that is having its clutch replaced.

3 - There is a 'warning system' on the market that monitors the engine oil for bits of metallic debris to alert you to the fact that your IMS bearing has headed south. TBH, I'm not convinced of the merits of this system for a bunch of reasons, not least the fact that it does nothing to diminish the likelihood of the problem occurring.

4 - If you feel lucky (well, do ya? do ya?) you could always test the maxim that lightning doesn't strike the same place twice. Although those with any knowledge of exactly how lighting works may wish to dispute that notion.

James

Great analogy James!

A lightning strike and an IMS failure both have catastrophic results.

There is a great deal of info out there about this, I wonder how many 996/7 engines are still running without any remedial work to overcome this problem.

rEd

• 3 months later...

Hi all, havent been on here for a while, thought I would post an update. I bought my 996 about 2 years ago with 16k on the clock, it was mint, a 2002 3.6. Since then have driven as a daily driver, its now done 66k. Absoluetly awesome car, love evrything about it. I have it serviced by the boys at Buick here in Adelaide, no sign of an IMS problem, but from what I read it is a little like that, you dont know until it (possibly) happens. I drive it pretty hard, often revving it to 7k, no track work though, but again with what I have read, that can work for you at it helps splash the oil around to keep the bearing lubricated. S all good so far :)

Good on you Gary, glad to hear that the car has run faultlessly for you and good to have you back on the forum...

Gee clocked up some km's in that time and I bet you have enjoyed every one of them.....

Cheers

Chris

Thanks, yea I live about 45 minutes north of my office and drive it every day. Actually I drive the car every chance I get. Never tire of driving it. They really must be just about the perfect everyday performance car. Only thing I would say is occasionaly I wish I got the manual, but then when you do as many k's as I do I think that would lose its appeal pretty quickly. Really happy with the car, absolutely love it :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess it had to happen. Driving home last Monday night, pulling away from the lights, pop, minor back fire, car suddenly running on 3 cylinders. Get service guys out, dont know, have to flat bed it to my P mechanic, bit of poking around, snapped timing chain. Bugger it, may or may not be IMS related, most likely bent the valves, who knows what else.

Very very dissapointed, a car that has about 60k on the clock, automatic, and never been near a race track in its life. Occasionally revved reasonably, always warmed up, regularly serviced, good oil etc etc.

Mr Porsche, simply not good enough, extremely dissapointed...

Well, I guess it had to happen. Driving home last Monday night, pulling away from the lights, pop, minor back fire, car suddenly running on 3 cylinders. Get service guys out, dont know, have to flat bed it to my P mechanic, bit of poking around, snapped timing chain. Bugger it, may or may not be IMS related, most likely bent the valves, who knows what else.

Very very dissapointed, a car that has about 60k on the clock, automatic, and never been near a race track in its life. Occasionally revved reasonably, always warmed up, regularly serviced, good oil etc etc.

Mr Porsche, simply not good enough, extremely dissapointed...

that is a fkn Joke, i'd be seriously pissed off!! As you said not good enough, hope it is not as bad as what it sounds. and not too expensive to fix.

Yep, and what can I do??? To be honest, I had never even heard of an IMS failure before I bought it. I have just read so much about a 911 being a car you can drive to the track, fang around all day, then drive home and pick the kids up from school.

What a bloody joke that is. I mean seriously, a car having a timing chain failure after 60,000 km? A Commodore lasts longer than that.

I am just really really dissapointed. Cant see it being cheap to fix no matter how "minor" it is.

Archived