Tinted Film for 964 Tail Lights and Centre Reflector

twood

I have bought some tinted film  (light smoked black) for the tail lights and centre reflector.

Luckily I have an old set lights and the centre that have been sitting in my garage for many years to try it out on. 

Anyone interested (experienced or otherwise) in giving me a hand to put it on? Sometimes I have trouble with jobs like this so any help is appreciated.

Could even post some pics on the forum of the process and end results depending on how it looks.

Lots of information on this Rennlist posting:

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/472174-rear-reflector-tailight-tint-testimonial.html

This is the look I am hoping for:

tint2_zpsa7b8934c.jpg

911Jetta

i have templates for cut outs if you need   

happy to share 

hughesy 

Thanks Hughesy

How could we organise to get them? What are the templates made from? Not planning a trip to Brisbane are you? 

This could save me time and give better results. I see your post on Rennlist. Were you happy with the result?

I wanted to get the kit that Gus does from the Rennlist forum but I wanted the grey and he only supplies the red.

Did you remove your lights before applying and what is the solution talked about? Is it the soapy water sprayed onto the light prior to applying the tint?

I have the tint film but I cannot see myself having time until the New Year though I want to do it now. 

Ken I'd be happy to help you out, although I must state all care but no responsibility given.

Very happy to accept under said condition and I am sure after seeing the job you did on your tail lights that we will end up with a superior finish. The added bonus is if you take the photographs that people my actually be able to see how it was done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding whether its legal or not, providing it meets ADR 53/00 there are no problems. Note though that sections 7.3 & 9 are quite specific with their requirements. Just Google THIRD EDITION AUSTRALIAN DESIGN RULES and select M Category vehicles. Even if your car was built pre year whatever, its best to make sure superficial modifications comply. Less hassles. Good luck.

Russ, have you used the VHT product? If so, how did it turn out? Thinking about it for something else.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So last week I applied a red tint film - 964 taillight restoration kit from RL. 

Instructions were really great, excellent kit, came with the film, exacto knife, spray, scraper.

Really took my time and followed the instructions.

Came out OK... a little rough around some edges which I would do better next time.

Too many air bubbles for my liking.

Looked good from about 1.5m away.

Biggest problem was that the turn indicators were completely red.

Emailed Gus from RL (who is a legend btw), and he suggested to cut out squares for the indicators.

I decided to remove the film and will go down the spray route.

Looked bloody excellent in that deep red for the short time I had it on.

Attempt only if you are good at contacting things more difficult than high school text books. 

IMG_1472_zps2e6thmtn.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsssw5bfcg.jpg

IMG_1477_zpskknnak39.jpg

Try this stuff...fly eye tint .. http://www.flyeyeskit.co.uk/ its a perforated sticky vinyl and looks great IMHO. I used it on my range rover rear lights (previously clear) as well as the white section on my Caymans' rear lights. Can be removed easily too,

Have you got any pictures of the vinyl installed?

How does it look up close with the perforated holes?

Hey Barks, thanks for this pictures.

It certainly looks good from a just away.

For the purpose of changing colour of a good condition lamp, and considering ease of installation, this looks pretty good.

For me however, because I am trying to restore faded (to pink), rear lights, I don't think this will be right. 

Archived