Engine Drop - 1st time

Dusty

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had take my tank out due to it leaking from the sender as the cork gasket was toast, otherwise i would have left it for another day.

A 2nd pair of hands while fitting the motor back would have saved me a lot of time and punishment on my body… if you get any offers take them.

Good luck and take your time.

Update - I dont have photo's uploaded as yet but after an initial hiccup caused by neglecting the battery connection to the starter and then finding that there's a short somewhere between it and the alternator, its alive again! 

The oil got up to pressure very quickly and has only 2 minor leaks from the engine and oil tank plugs simply because I re-used the 3 month old seals. As I'll be changing the oil in quick succession, the seals will be replaced shortly so I'll hopefully have a dry engine after that. 

There's still a few tweaks required to various parts, the accelerator linkage isn't connected properly, idle is 'cycling', clutch needs to be adjusted and then to find the source of the alternator short (probably incorrectly wired as the photos I took turned out to be rubbish), but the main thing is the engine is back in and running!

Definitely looking forward to it Firstone! 

I just pulled the alternator and found a fried alternator ground cable... Thought I must've incorrectly wired the alternator but after looking at the connections, it's all ok. From my rubbish images and what I've found on the net, the ground strap connects to the the inner air deflector (that attaches to the rear of the alternator/fan housing) but clearly this is creating a short circuit. Any ideas?

The other issues were easily fixed so will hopefully be ready for a drive after this! 

Definitely looking forward to it Firstone! 

I just pulled the alternator and found a fried alternator ground cable... Thought I must've incorrectly wired the alternator but after looking at the connections, it's all ok. From my rubbish images and what I've found on the net, the ground strap connects to the the inner air deflector (that attaches to the rear of the alternator/fan housing) but clearly this is creating a short circuit. Any ideas?

The other issues were easily fixed so will hopefully be ready for a drive after this! 

Dusty, have you got a copy of the workshop manual? It's 1,005 pages long and probably has what you need … or the PET might as well. I've got soft copies of both, let me know if you want them and I'll shoot you a link to download them.

SORTED!!!!

Turns out the 8AWG cable I used to replace the old engine to alternator ground strap rated itself a bit too highly. It basically melted from the inside out but luckily for me, the damage was contained to this one wire,the alternator and all other cables are untouched. Very lucky here.

DSCF42611_zps5zfcifay.jpg

I'll post the video as soon as I figure out how. I ran it for 20 minutes at 2000rpm as recommended by Dempsey and it didnt miss a beat, the only problem is that it's refusing to hold idle so I'm hopeful this will be a straight forward fix. There were signs of CIS leaks at the injectors, intake manifold boots etc so now that they've been remedied it should just be a simple adjustment. 

Here it is back in it's nest - a massive thank you to Paul Carrerra, my newly found 911 back neighbour who virtually donated his whole weekend to the the task, including the fixing of my dropping clutch pedal which had me stumped.

DSCF42582_zpsdccarzam.jpg

Thanks Coastr, i might take you up on that when your back.

Took it for its first test drive today and had a smile on my face. Lots of power and it sounds so much better without the canon exhaust tip.

Its still not holding idle and surging ever so slightly under light acceleration so i think I'll tweak the mixture a little leaner. My thinking is that it was previously set while the CIS had vacuum leaks so with no leaks, it would now be running rich? Clearly im still getting to grips with the CIS...

Unfortunately I was just a bit tardy... Didn't get down to Bris until 10.30 so missed everyone. I saw Russ's car parked up the street as well as few other rather nice 911's but couldn't find their owners anywhere! 

Anyway it was a great chance to give the car a run and we took the long way home through Samford, Mt Mee and Woodford which was a great drive.

I've cured the idle problem and leaned out the mixture a little so it's running better but there's still a little 'surging' is felt at low rev's. Yet to properly set the timing too (ony done the static timing) so that's on the to do list, The car really screams now at higher rev's and sounds like a 911 should which I think is a result of the more modest exhaust tip and a better breathing, cleaner engine. 

The only issues remaining are two slight oil leaks that appear to be coming from the rocker arms at cylinders 3 & 6. I should be able to resolve this at the first valve adjust  by re-installing the rockers with the rsr rocker arm seals, it'll just be the tightest working space imaginable... 

My only other gremlin is that the car dies as soon as I turn the headlights on? From idle, the engine just shuts off straight away and while driving I lose all power until I turn them off then the car carries on as usual! Very weird! Still doing some trouble shooting but I'm sure it'll be to do with when I was tidying up the wires behind the dashboard, I've probably upset the ground somewhere so just need to go back through it all. At least my wife thought it was funny when I went to set off on an evening drive... she can be so cruel. 

a couple of guys from C&C and I were in at Car Care Products stocking up on detailing gear, at least that explains who was in the Black SC parked behind us lol. I couldn't see you around as we were leaving - Normally C&C kicks off at 7:30 and it was well and truly over when the rain swept through at 9am. See you at the next one though

Hi Russ,did anyone do a quick car count on Saturday?there seemed to be a larger turnout than previous C&C,s.

I left before the threatening showers arrived as cleaning a black sc when put away wet is a pain

Regards

Pete.

Let me know what time you're on Paul, keen to drop around with spare jacks, hands and some useless advice if you're agreeable!

In terms of my rebuild, my oil leaks from the rocker arms aren't cool (especially cause they drip straight on the heat exchangers) so I've ordered a set of RSR rocker seals from James and will grapple them in as soon as I get the chance. Hopefully then I'll then have the holy grail of a dry 911 engine before she heads off to the body shop for a 'thigh tuck' next week. Finally be able to get rid of the bodgy rear wheels and get this lady looking her best once again.

Archived