Engine Drop - 1st time

Dusty

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understood but which type? I'm seeing several different threebond sealants but can't determine which ones are non-hardening. Preference is to use this on the front/rear main seals as well as the cam boxes if I can. Otherwise I can stick to the Permatex aviation gasket I used the first time around with good results so far.  

threebond_products_banner.jpg

Made some good progress over the past week but still have some fiddly jobs to do. Stripped the engine back to the heads and the cam housings showed virtually no signs of remnant gasket material so I'm surprised the leaks weren't greater than they were. Shows how well these engines are manufactured when a large bare metal surface like this hardly leaks.  

These were taken mid-way through cleaning as I've been a bit slack with the camera this time around:

DSCF4526_zps2tqtv2bf.jpg

DSCF4524_zpsybuacwjs.jpg

The bulk of the engine work is now done, the cams are timed and it's almost ready for re-entry. Still have some cosmetic "while I'm in there jobs" but I wont be getting carried away, mainly pressure washing, aligning tail lights and removing hardened paint from rubber bellows/bumpers which is proving to be a pain in the proverbial... 

Also picked up some light grey threebond to cure the oil leaks around the oil breather hose. Thinking I'll put a light coating of JB weld around the base of the idiot light, just in case it contributed to the leak in any way.

DSCF4527_zpsg1j4orvn.jpg

Dusty does your wife read these posts?

I wouldn't have thought so - I bore her to death with my Porsche jibbering as it is, I'd doubt she'd have the energy to read my scratchings! 

Isn't that sender a known oil leak problem? I had an 87 911 back quite a few years ago. I did an engine drop on that to fix a clutch problem, while I was at it I replaced all the known things that give issues. I am sure I replaced senders but can't be sure on which ones as this was 10 years ago.

Good, coz if she sees that you have used one of her dish towels (1st pic)for cleaning your engine you might be in a wee bit trouble :ph34r:

I always offer to give them back after I've finished with them. 

Any news on the 'other' project?

Sorry mate, the other project? 

Isn't that sender a known oil leak problem? 

Yes, it most definitely is. Including the thermostat seal beside it and the oil breather hose/gasket, they're often referred to as the triangle of death. I replaced all three gaskets at the beginning of the year but they didn't hold, will be sure to add some sealant this time around.

You mean producing humans?

Yes we welcomed our new little fella to the clan. He arrived exactly 2 weeks ago, fit and healthy but unfortunately has his time zones are all messed up...

Thanks for the encouragement gents...! 

The little man is finding his sleep groove now so I can again spend evenings in the garage. The long block is all sealed up now and the accessories are starting to come together.

DSCF4533_zpskkutqbly.jpg

DSCF4531_zpsgjbry8u2.jpg

I keep finding cosmetic touch up jobs here and there so small tasks are taking twice as long. I've also given the CIS a refresh with new fuel/vacuum lines while it was all out. All going well, it should be ready for re-entry on the weekend and then I'll know if all this has been worthwhile.

Hey Dusty I have been away so havnt caught up on your progress until now but looking good. I replaced my pressure switch just because they are prone to leaking as they get older so I would suggest that you do the same they are pretty cheap from memory

Hey Dusty I have been away so havnt caught up on your progress until now but looking good. I replaced my pressure switch just because they are prone to leaking as they get older so I would suggest that you do the same they are pretty cheap from memory

That's why I'm a little concerned... I installed a new one last time as well as replacing the oil breather hose gasket and thermostat O-ring and it still leaked. Hoping it was because I installed them dry so I'll use the threebond this time. 

I can't believe you've dropped your engine twice now.  I feel very slack about the box of unfitted parts sullying my bench.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Mine was broken - twice! 

Dusty,

Only picked up your thread now.

Bummer that you had remove the engine again. I would think it be easier the second time though especially if you know what the issue is. Agree that restoring aged parts and improving the aesthetics is extremely time consuming.

I have not experienced any further issues with my rebuild however work and family commitments have somewhat brought it to standstill.

All the best for the reinstall. Your engine's looking really good

Sashie

Dusty you should not need sealer on the breather hose, but I would recommend a good quality clamp. My hose was very hard and while not leaking as such i was able to twist it on the fitting no matter how tight I had the clamp. The fitting on the motor has a small lump I assume to ensure this to help the hose grip better? But as the hose get old and hard I think the lack of flexibility in the hose allows some oil mist through.

I can't remember if you replaced your hose last time you had the motor out, but you didn't and its hardened it's time for a new one.

I didn't replace the hose last time because it's still very flexible. I might not have secured it sufficiently although that'd be uncharacteristic.

Looking at that part of the engine now, I notice two of the studs holding the oil breather cap down can be un-wound with minimal torque so maybe they inched out just enough to cause the leak.  

I'm thinking the most likely culprit was the idiot light switch, whether from the base as a few people have speculated or at the switch itself. Either way I hope to have both rectified shortly!  

Also found the rear main seal was leaking, I didn't touch it last time as it was dry so that will also be replaced.

Archived