On the search

I'm at Park Holme near Marion, so ya welcome to come and have a look at my 66 thats not far from being finished.

Have a look in my '912' thread in ownership and enthusiasm.

A photo I.d and eye scan for security access is required for security reasons though ;-)

Finally there has been advice here that you can't get a decent 911 for less than 40k. You may not get a pristine Australian delivered car wit stamped books for less than 40k but it's not true that decent cars don't sell in that range. Remember advertised price is different to sale price.

Good luck and settle in for the long haul.

I would agree with this. To clarify, I'm not saying they don't exist for 40k but you have to be very actively searching for a good one at that end of the market. You have done well to find and buy yours but as I understand this took quite some time and effort + you have broadened your criteria to include LHD that does play a reasonably large part in values (at least here in Aus).

The 911 world is a very complicated one that can present 2 cars that look identical (at least on the surface) but can be worth 10's if not 100's thousands apart in value. You need to either have 1. Loads of cash or 2. Be very well researched and actively searching to not achieve a result as the time for getting 'lucky' or finding a bargain with these cars has long passed. If it's cheap there will be a reason why - so long as your prepared for that then get stuck in.

Cool, ill give him a message! thanks a lot again! i appreciate it, this forum is great everyone is very helpful 

Ill keep you all posted if i start finding a few cars to look at :)

Ronny has a good grasp on the 912's and I believe he has 3 at the moment - from what I understand they are all pretty tidy cars and wouldn't be going anywhere 'cheap'.

Keeping in mind good early long hood 911's are a 80k + investment for a clean car, yes a 912 comparatively seems cheap but they are still approaching 50-60k for decent ones. There unfortunately is no such thing as a 'cheap' Porsche and the 912's are no exception.

Sorry to prattle on like a downer but it's just the reality of it all. A lot of people want a 911 and that's why they are worth such good money. (Especially the older ones!)

Ronny has a good grasp on the 912's and I believe he has 3 at the moment - from what I understand they are all pretty tidy cars and wouldn't be going anywhere 'cheap'

Gee Hugh, I actually went down to my single garage and thought I would see 3 x 912's, but alas, they're not there .....

You see, my name is Ronny too and that name is as rare as the decent condition air cooled beasts we are all searching for .....  ;)

I think you would find one within the budget.

only a couple of months ago I nearly bought another one for 25k in Tasmania.

I knew it needed work and from memory it was a converted car, but it was all there and a driver.

There was a yellow one on Carsales a little while ago that was in the 30k region. Nice car though.

Just remember, if you end up with a LHD car, we have strict regulations here in SA, and the car must be 100% original in appearance, good paint work, interior and zero rust.

I'm yet to have mine inspected, but there shouldnt be much they could pick on (have heard they are VERY picky)

I would contact Roni on here, as he is one that can tell you everything about them, and possibly point you in the right direction with finding a 912.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but Collectable Classics at Woodside had a black 912 for 30k. It wasnt factory black (originally Tangerine) and was LHD.

As Hugh mentioned, 912's are flying up in price, and with the cars in the USA becoming the 'must have' to some collectors from what I've seen and read on many occasions, it seems when the US sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold!

I can't count how many messages I have received on Facebook from people all over Europe, UK and USA wanting to buy my car, as theyre quite a bit cheaper than their 6 cylinder cousins.

If you do find one locally, I'm happy to have a look with you, yet do your homework now to get an idea of what you need to look for. The 912BBS forum is a good place to sign up, as they know these cars inside out and can answer any question you might have.

I'm trying not to waffle on here (too late?) yet I can't stress enough that with 912's that come up for sale, if you snooze you lose.

I would agree with this. To clarify, I'm not saying they don't exist for 40k but you have to be very actively searching for a good one at that end of the market. You have done well to find and buy yours but as I understand this took quite some time and effort + you have broadened your criteria to include LHD that does play a reasonably large part in values (at least here in Aus).

The 911 world is a very complicated one that can present 2 cars that look identical (at least on the surface) but can be worth 10's if not 100's thousands apart in value. You need to either have 1. Loads of cash or 2. Be very well researched and actively searching to not achieve a result as the time for getting 'lucky' or finding a bargain with these cars has long passed. If it's cheap there will be a reason why - so long as your prepared for that then get stuck in.

Some time and effort...18 months worth!, though it could have been less had I been more prepared to move quickly. Early on I was still thinking cars sit for a little while so you have time to investigate. I missed a couple of good cars due to not being prepared. Then the market jumped and it took me a while to adjust to that.

So that would be an addendum to my list - get your cash sorted and get mentally ready to lay down the cash the minute you think it's right. If it's a car worth buying it will move fast.

As a new searcher you probably can't quickly tell the difference between a SC, 2.7 mid year and a 3.2. After a while looking you'll be able to tell just from an interior or engine shot.

My 2c - for that money you're looking at a 912, 914 or 987 Boxster.  Performance wise, the boxster will leave the others for dead, have working air con & plenty of thrills in the 70km - 120km range that you'll spend most of your time in.  It will however depreciate and it's not a 911.  I think 987's are probable the best bang for your buck on the Porsche market at the moment but if you're not into Boxsters that matters not at all...

If you're after a classic shape then it's the 912 - if you're after something a bit different then 914 comes into play.  In either case 30 - 40k should get you something nice.  Better to buy a perfect example of a 'less fashionable' model than stretch for a 911 that's a basket case, which will then cost you plenty to put right.  The 911 will always be there in a few years if you decide to move into it.  You might just find yourself not wanting to...

If you're ever in the Sydney region, look me up & I'll take you out for an on the house drive in our 987 - guarantee you'll go home wanting one :)

Gav

Nice and generous offer, Gav.  

And some good guidance in there.    Also agree with your thoughts on the 912.   914 :wub:  

I'm sure if Persian hasn't driven a 987 and he takes you up on your offer he is in for a very pleasant surprise. :D 

Hey Gavin, thanks for your offer! I have now been looking into the 912s a bit more, i do love that classic shape! Great cars

and no, not going to lie I've never driven a 987, so if I'm ever around ill let you know :)

thanks again

Your'e welcome Persian & do yourself a favour - go drive a 987.  If you get a chance, really drive it.  I think the stock exhaust sound on the 987 over 4k is pretty nice & it's more than enough Porsche.  Forget the Boxster badge issue & just judge it on its merits.  If you only have one car to drive that would be the one.

I've got a real thing for 914's.  I've not driven one so have nothing to go on, but do recall a guy from Pelican Aus, 'bumble', who had a 914 with a 6 dropped in & that seemed to travel just fine.  Tit, I hope they don't move too much in the next few years!  Might have to start rubishing them to anyone who'll listen.

Gav

Unfortunately your going to be scraping the bottom of the air cooled 911 market for anything under 50k. You may find a tired but honest early SC (if your very actively searching or lucky) for sub 50k but the prospect of a 930 or 964 is highly unlikely - well nothing that's going to require anything less than 30-40k to get right (very easy to spend that sort if $$$, it all adds up pretty quickly!).

If your looking for a Porsche for around 40k take a 968 or Boxster for a spin - I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. If your only interested in a 911 then you maybe able to pick up a 996 carrera as they are fast becoming the 911 bargain of the century.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, just being honest. Unless your really confident and capable on the tools (+body repairs) you won't get much for your 40k in an early 911. Now your on here use it to your advantage and meet the other SA members, spend some time around the cars and their owners and maybe think about broadening your search criteria. All Porsches are great, whilst I love the early air cooled cars myself I can honestly say that there are some later model bargain to be had - I'm sure others will chime in!

Cheers, Hugh.

I did make mention of all these points quite early in the thread and they appeared to be dismissed  <_<

Maybe if enough of us keep repeating ourselves we may just get the point across............... :ph34r:  :rolleyes:

r0PhnkJXjx.gif

I did make mention of all these points quite early in the thread and they appeared to be dismissed <_<

Maybe if enough of us keep repeating ourselves we may just get the point across............... :ph34r::rolleyes:

My 2 cents worth, as someone who got only got in to P cars a couple of years ago:

If you just want a Porsche within your budget at under $40,000, look at 996 and even 997 cars. They are Porsches and drive like a Porsche should and have working aircon and all the latest safety and comfort that you could want.

If you want a Porsche and travel light and don't crave an air cooled model make sure you test drive a 987, I own one and they are quick, handle brilliantly, look great and are well in your stated price range these days with all the modern stuff as above.

If you have to have an air cooled Porsche you may need to up your budget by $10,000 or so to get something that will not need too much immediate attention. Hopefully. Like all second hand cars, you never know what you are buying even if the previous owner had no issues. And if you need luxury stuff like aircon that actually works you will need to look no earlier that 964 and even then you take a chance with the aircon working. It can get pretty warm in Adelaide! As stated previously by others, 993 cars for sale are like rocking horse poo. And not cheap. But they will tick the boxes, mostly, for all the comfort stuff.

I hope this helps, there are lots of cars for sale and lots of experts to advise, enjoy the chase and I look forward to hearing how it ends up.

Steve

Cheers again everyone, greatly appreciate you all passing on your knowledge! i think I'm going to just look around, i do want it as more of a cruiser "Sunday car" more then an everyday, so i think ill be looking at maybe the 912's and seeing if i can stick my head in the 911 market, ill just have to make sure i can do the correct PPI's..... I've seen a few 911 SC's in the targa/ convertible range for that bit cheaper

im in no rush so for now ill be reading, learning and researching.. :) thanks for the help ill let you all know how i go in between 

Persian,

This looks to be a good one with the IMS bearing done.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-3186515/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

Does look reasonable.    

IMS replacement there would be close to 3k, so and new owner has saved there and can sleep a bit better.  

Looks a bit lower than standard?   But certainly a good price.   Nice find.

Archived