Our first Porsche - 2002 Boxster S

Recently my girlfriend became a little more serious wanting her own car and as she's always wanted a Porsche started browsing affordable cars for sale. I'd done some research when she last sent me links to cars and found that a 2000+ manual S was what we should look for. Also found a few things to be aware of such as the IMS which people were very afraid of!

She sent me a Yellow '01 so we went to have a look. The dealer was quite embarrassed and didn't want to start it up in front of us as it blew a little smoke. Well he did start it up and it blew more than a little! haha He thought it was the valve stem seals but from my research I suspected the AOS. We took it for a test drive anyway as the smoke disappeared. It was nice but the bonnet and trunk paint seemed to be a shade different than the body, had a few paint chips on side skirts, etc. The dealer ended up calling a couple of days later saying I was correct in it being the AOS.

A few days later we saw a black one for a few grand more, so went to look at it. It wasn't there. :( But the books were so I had a look, it also included receipts from the previous owner. Came back on the weekend  for a look. Took it for a drive and parked to have a look over it. Much nicer condition ~50k km's less and didn't smoke. Back to the dealer and the GF negotiated $2k off the asking price and put down the deposit. Then Tuesday we picked it up.

So now we have in our possession a 2002 Boxster S Manual, Basalt Black with Grey leather interior. I'll have to check the option codes but it did come with the Bose Digital Audio. Previous owner replaced the head unit with an Eclipse AVN827GA, maps are old but I found the naviextras card unscratched which should allow for a free map update. Rims are black but not sure if they've been painted or were black from factory? We have all the books that came with the car, even the Porsche/Bose audio CD.

I've gone through the receipts and since mid 2013 the following work has been done:

Faulty low tone horn replaced

RH drive boot replaced

RHF Sway Bar link replaced

Front Discs and Rear replaced

Rear window replaced

LN Engineering IMS Bearing Upgrade Kit

Rear Main Oil Seal

Clutch Kit, Clutch Fork, Clutch Fork Pivot

Combination Switch Unit

Issues I've found:

Speedo seems to read too fast by ~8kmh. Checked against GPS and when speedo reads 60, GPS reads ~52. Seems to be consistent, 100 on speedo and GPS says ~92. Tyres are 255/40/17 and 205/45/17. Normal?

Rear window has a tiny hole. Will fix with some clear tape for now. Might try and source a glass soft top?

Rear wing is bolted on and the bolts they've used have put holes in the boot seal. Will source some replacement allen bolts. Will probably need to replace the adhesive too as it looks like it's coming away. Need to make sure it doesn't allow water to seep into the boot.

Driving in the rain last night water was leaking in around where the drivers side mirror is on the inside of the glass.

The drivers side mirror cover with the mirror adjustment controls falls out easily. The top blue socket has been pushed in. Should be an easy fix.

Second key unlock button was pushed in. I found that it doesn't have any electronics inside of it! Could keep it as a spare unlock key and source a full new key. Expensive? Needs to be coded by Porsche?

The carpet in the rear trunk isn't clipped in on the passenger side. It looks like there's a unit that holds relays that it should clip into. That relay unit isn't on its bracket so I'll need to reseat that.

I think that's all for now. Hopefully nothing else rears its head. :)

Potential mods:

Clear side indicators maybe.

Newer headlights with clear indicators. If I can find some decent priced. Projector headlight retrofit perhaps? Not sure if legal though? - http://www.gtprojectors.com/

Front Porsche emblem has been painted? plasti dipped? black. Would like to replace it with another emblem, preferably the silver rather than gold.

Remove the CD storage and replace with a storage pocket.

Remove ashtray and replace with a storage pocket?

There is carbon fibre vinyl on the ash tray and door pocket covers. The door pocket cover vinyl was lifting so we peeled it off. Not sure if we'll replace it with some better quality 3M vinyl, leave as is or cover in leather. It also has some brushed aluminium "S" stickers on the head rests that we removed and a "Boxster" sticker on the passenger door airbag cover that re also removed.

And now for the pics. These were taken when we test drove it. I'll take some nicer ones this weekend.

Front%20Drivers%20Side_zpsm0wzaeuf.jpg

Rear%20Interior_zps8osqi64q.jpg

Passenger%20Side_zpsoio9b0vb.jpg

Congrats on the purchase, 

Know much about the PO? seems like a mid life crisis haha. 

I would change out the old headlights, new clear ones. 

Personally would remove the GT stripes, unless your partner likes them of corse. :) 

Wheels don't come black. Make sure you have some decent tyres on it. 

Wouldn't worry to much about the speedo. Mine 944t reads high, if you're accidentally 5ks over on the speedo, you'll be safe ;) 

You can try with projectors, not sure how legal they are though. 

Congrats. Good work picking one up with the bearing upgrade. Manual too...top job!.

Clear indicator front lights would look good, but I would do that and the clear side repeaters together,or not at all...would look a bit odd.

I'd also lose the viny-carbon fibre, but that's just me. These interiors are notorious for picking up scratches, and having switches and controls that look like someone's been chewing them. Make sure the vinyl isn't hiding anything.

I'd lose the rear wing too, but that's just me.

Did all that clutch work include a flywheel?. If so, that's a nice expensive job that you don't have to pay for.

Congratulations on the car,

+1 for removing the stripes for me....  (but again if the GF like 'em leave 'em)

yup i'd loose the rear wing as well if possible.

Look forward to meeting you on an SMT or DakDak for coffee some time....

haha, we laugh at the mid life crisis, we are nearing 40! As we both don't want children this is our alternative. Will probably cost as much. :)

Tyres are Yokohama AVS Decibel v550 which seem to have OK reviews.

Oh yeah, need to source a petrol cap lanyard as ours is broken.

Flywheel doesn't look like it was replaced.

GF likes the stripes and wing, so they'll stay for now. Well stripes until/if then begin to look worse for wear. Rear wing removal would require either a new boot lid or holes filled and repaint.

The vinyl removed from the door pocket covers didn't reveal and bad scratched. The only vinyl left is on the ash tray. That will stay until I find a pocket to put in there.

We're heading away this weekend so won't make DakDak, another time. Handy location for me as I'm close by. Might try and make the next SMT.

Awesome! Get your GF on the forum now. I'm here and PAM too - we need more porsche loving chicks on PFA.

Nice ride. I agree, I'd like to see those stripes go. And that grey leather looks wonderful on the black!

Congrats, such great cars. And having the IMS Done is such a bonus. That's a $2k job.

Love the Boxster. Congrats. The handling will make you very confident and put a big grin on your face.

It's a good idea to do the coolant bottle as preventative maintenance.

If you're going to do it yourself buy some remote heater clamp pliers. I paid under a hundred at repco for mine. $220 or so delivered for the bottle att from USA. You may as well order a waterpump and thermostat with housing at the same time. They are cheap items. The waterpump needs to be the composite impeller type. The early ones broke, then they tried the alloy, of which some rubbed and left filings in the coolant. Now they have good composite ones but it is recommended to replace at around 60k intervals. Grab the low temp thermostat for oz. The AOS is also a periodical item. You'll need ninga hands and the pliers I mentioned for this job as well. Make sure it comes with the o ring and the short rubber convoluted hose.

The other item that deteriorates is the plastic oil filler tube, also cheap.

Enjoy....

Love the Boxster. Congrats. The handling will make you very confident and put a big grin on your face.

It's a good idea to do the coolant bottle as preventative maintenance.

If you're going to do it yourself buy some remote heater clamp pliers. I paid under a hundred at repco for mine. $220 or so delivered for the bottle att from USA. You may as well order a waterpump and thermostat with housing at the same time. They are cheap items. The waterpump needs to be the composite impeller type. The early ones broke, then they tried the alloy, of which some rubbed and left filings in the coolant. Now they have good composite ones but it is recommended to replace at around 60k intervals. Grab the low temp thermostat for oz. The AOS is also a periodical item. You'll need ninga hands and the pliers I mentioned for this job as well. Make sure it comes with the o ring and the short rubber convoluted hose.

The other item that deteriorates is the plastic oil filler tube, also cheap.

Enjoy....

Thanks for the tips. I probably won't do any engine work on it myself. My brother in law is a mechanic and has worked on Euro cars so I can supply the parts to him.

Congratulations, looks good in black. I think you may have been spotted late yesterday by one of our members...

Thanks, Yeah Niko got the first spot. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yesterday I cleaned the roof and applied some water repellent, 303 Aerospace product.

This morning I noticed the drivers side seatbelt was damp. Under and behind seats is dry. The remote unlock/lock using the key fob doesn't work. I replaced the key battery the other day as it wasn't working then either and was working until this morning. The LED in the key lights up but won't unlock the car or front and rear trunks. The key unlocks via the key hole fine and starts the car fine, front and rear trunks can be opened via the inside switches. The alarm works and arms once the door is locked, goes off if the key hasn't been put in the ignition quick enough. Tried a few things suggested in forums but nothing has worked.

Any suggestions? I guess I need to check the drain plugs to make sure they're clean, not sure what else. Visit Porsche to look at the key fob? We only have one key with electronics in the keyhead so I was going to get a new keyhead anyway. Anyone know if newer style keyheads (987) will work with the 986? I like the look of the newer ones and can swap the blades over anyway.

haha, we laugh at the mid life crisis, we are nearing 40! As we both don't want children this is our alternative. Will probably cost as much. :)

Last estimate I read was $450k each from kinda to 18 , if you are crazy enough to add up the bills.

I've got 3 ; 62 years worth total 

I don't own a Koenigsegg as a result , but not complaining!

Hopefully your Porsche will be as reliable and entertaining as my 3 sons  :D Best of luck.

The remote switches in the key are not great quality.

I've heard of people removing the transponder and putting it in a new remote head. Google will reveal how to.

Porsche want $500 by the time you buy a remote head and new transponder and have them program it for you.

Don't have any leaks in mine. Can't help there.

Yeah I spoke to spare parts last week on a replacement keyhead for our spare and it was $320 + $80 to code. The switches seem to work as the LED lights up when pressed. Dunno, was working yesterday.

Well they key is working again. Bought a new battery and it works. I guess the "new" one I put in the other day was a dud. Phew.

I had a look at the front drain holes this evening and cleaned what appeared to be a mat of cat hair out of one. Might take the shop vac to it to remove the hard to get to leaves. Will need to check the rear ones next. While I was there I noticed a front strut brace, I don't think they came standard.

I also fixed the relay rack in the rear trunk. Whoever worked on it last hadn't put it back on its bracket correctly and just cable tied it so the carpet couldn't be pegged down. Good now.

Was going to replace the hood ornament but there is only one speed nut, the other one was replaced with one of those clip things so I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to remove it. Probably have to carefully lever it off.

• 2 weeks later...
So the GF stayed the night at her friends house last night and when she got home and washed the car she noticed this.

th_Damage%20-%20Rear%20Bumper_zpsxejmnik th_Damage%20-%20Rim_zps2ibfvbzt.jpg th_Damage%20-%20Rear%20Panel_zpskyzajhii th_Damage%20-%20Mirror_zpszdvmclih.jpg

Some prick sideswiped it and didn't leave a note. They'd driven on the wrong side of the road as the mirror had been pushed back towards the drivers side window. Could have been worse I suppose, mirror and rim have the worst of the damage.

Not sure what to do. Going through insurance will be expensive due to the excess. Touch up paint?

Also, the key isn't working again. No light when the buttons are pushed, even with a new battery. :(

Car is getting repaired under insurance as a proper job costs more than the excess.

Popped into Porsche Brighton this morning to order some parts.

Replacement Key Head

Replacement Fuel Cap & rivit

Dash pocket to replace the CD storage

3x blue grommets to fix the drivers side mirror

2x speed nuts for the bonnet badge.

Got a text this arvo saying they're ready! So the GF picked them up.

Installed the fuel cap and dash pocket when I got home.

Dash%20Pocket_zpsoywvsnyn.jpg

Today I replaced the rear spoiler bolts. Whoever installed it used hex head bolts which have torn the rear boot seal. So today I got some M6 25mm dome head allen bolts and replaced them. I'll have to get some black washers at some stage too. When replacing the bolts I lifted the spoiler off, it needs new double sided tape. The muppet that installed it didn't remove the backing on the boot side so it was still sitting on paper, which by now had shrunk and disintegrated.  :rolleyes:

Boxster%20Spoiler%20Bolts_zpskidmibyx.jp

• 4 weeks later...

We finally got the car back from repairs, rear panel is buffed out, mirror repainted, rear bumper repainted, wheel chips fixed and repainted. Was supposed to be picked up last week but the front passenger wheel had new chips on it so they had to be fixed.

Tonight I replaced the ignition switch. The key was getting hard to insert and remove and the radio wasn't turning off after the key was removed. Some googling suggested that it was the ignition switch, Porsche dealer said the same. So I ordered the switch from ebay and it arrived very quickly. People said it could be done from underneath, maybe on OS cars, not mine. The screws for the switch are on the top side. I found another guide that showed the removal of the drivers side vent section. Still a PITA but eventually got there. I think it took around an hour all up with some swearing and contortion. Key works as it should now.

I followed this guide - http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/ignition

Archived