Use it or lose it?

Ben C3.o

It's not a matter of needing the money Edgy, if I sold her I would only blow the cash on the mortgage, bills an maybe a deposit on a new daily driver. Sure it would put me in a better financial position but where is the fun in that.

Think you answered your own question there ^^  :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of my reason not yet mentioned for considering selling and why I rearly find the time to drive the car is Mel (my partner) doesn't enjoy the Pcar experiance like I do. Sure she likes to go for a drive somewhere for lunch etc but doesn't enjoy just going for a drive for the sake of driving nor does she enjoy the spirited part of any driving. And getting up early on the weekend for an SMT, forget it lol. Now I am all for having my own interests and Mel her's but when it comes down to how I would like to spend my free time my preferance is to include her. Maybe I just need to learn how to drive the Pcar without taking it to the magic 3500RPM and beyond sweet spot........ Na, not going to happen.

The key to lasting happiness for men -

1. Having a satisfying job

2. Having a supportive partner

3. Having a passion that involves neither 1, nor 2.

Choose number 3!

Choose number 3!

I concur.  Time apart doing your own thing is oxygen over the long term, for both people.

'Mates' for a guy is very important.  But guys don't really usually get together and gossip about nothing in particular unless there is a reason.  Having a common interest gives a reason to meet up.  'Cars and Coffee' would be a complete flop for guys if it was just 'Coffee'.  Millions of women meet up for 'Coffee' all the time but guys never do it.  Add the 'Cars' bit and everyone turns up.

I would go the 996/997 route if including the partner is more of a priority.  But for me, time away in and under the car is alone time.

*Devils Advocate Warning*

It sounds to me like you'd have a lot more time to drive a P car that wasn't so precious to you...  No wonder you are not enjoying it if 4 drops of rain has you retreating to a carcoon!  

Cars are made to drive, especially Porsches.  But yours has become like a valuable piece of art, hanging in your home, and you live in fear when the kids friends come over because they might find a stray crayon and devalue your art.

911's ARE art...I could look at one nearly all day long...but ultimately I want to go drive the pants off one.

I don't think you're really too busy to drive a Porsche, it's just too many planets need to line up to create the perfect time to drive THIS one.

So I think it boils down to what you value more:

a) Driving a Porsche that you happen to own.

B) Owning a Porsche that a rare object of art.

If it's a), Sell it, buy a cheaper Porsche and drive it often. Get a 996 for $35-40K - you don't have to worry about them going up in value!

or B) Keep it, care for it, admire it, and love it for what it is, a collectable classic car work of art.

You are right Trev, I could drive one everyday to work and back if I was willing to leave it exposed to the elements for 10hrs a day. With this car I am not willing to do that so I just have to relish the times I do get to drive her and look for more opportunities to do so.

I think I'll have my cake and eat it to. At the end of the day the Pcar I wanted was a 76 C3.o as I wanted a car of my vintage. I have that so I just need to be sure to go for drives while Mel is sleeping. It's the best time to be on the roads anyway so might be the solution. The next question is how do I get it out of the garage without waking her up lol.

The way the P car market is now, and probably for a while to come, this is a huge decision and not easily reversible if you decide to sell.

Personally I think you have to go for a proper drive (SMT style) to see if you still have the passion for driving a P car. Sure you can do the little short trips but these are like a little reminder or taster for the longer drives when you can really enjoy driving the car.

P car ownership is not just the car, it is a partial lifestyle choice that you choose to spend effort, time, money and mate ships with.

It's a very personal decision, but thnk hard and long as the chances of picking up another car like yours are not that good.

I'm going to do just this D-banger but all the time I have spent thinking and posting about what I should do have reignited my passion for her.

I do understand what you're saying about your partner not sharing the interest, it would make it hard.

Mine would NEVER do a SMT with me, but supports that having a P meant a lot to me and encouraged me to get one.

You could easy swap to a 997 right now, probably with some change, and go drive the ringer out of it!  (Without her....)

Speaking to Mel last night about it she doesn't think I should sell it. Her words "the moment you sell it you will wish you never did, keep it". When I mentioned needing a fourth garage so I could have a second Pcar as a daily driver and to drive on SMT's when wet so I can see my mates she said "good night, I'm off to bed".

I am thinking early morning runs while she enjoys her sleep ins might be the answer

Buying my 964 was unexpected but I now use it often, so much so I sold my daily - now I have no choice!  :)

I never thought I'd have a Porsche for a daily but its a nice way of getting some 'P time' if you find it hard to get out for an SMT, club runs etc. 

A newer Porsche that you can commit to driving more often could be a solution, best of both worlds IMO. 

Or buying a second one Hugh. Mel said she would have one as her daily but she wants a Cayenne.

Hey Ben - I really appreciate your dilemma so my only serious advice is that you currently have a really great car so if you don't need the money or the extra space then don't sell.

Think of it like that share portfolio which you'll dust off one day and hope has gone up in value. Maintenance costs = Management costs

I am hopeful her value will continue to grow and if it does it's a bonus. If it doesn't, so be it, I own a Porsche!

I guess at the end of the day you've got to do what you enjoy.

But I'm not sure that seeing Porsches as 'investments' is a great idea, it might be good for now but look what happened to muscle cars. Although I could be proved wrong and we could all be sitting on a gold mine (which I guess is only good if you want to sell, not if you want to buy another car)

I can appreciate people like Uncle's approach to it, he buys what he likes keeps it a while and has fun then moves onto the next project

I tend to buy stuff and never sell it though :/

Like you Russ I buy stuff I like and never sell it. I am reminded of this weekly.

The thing is cant you even find a mint 3.0 SC at the moment either. 

If I do sell I reckon I would try a modern 911 for a while and them move back to an air-cooled when/if the right one showed up. I think I would have to restore one to get "the right one". Maybe in my retirement.

Think you answered your own question there ^^  :D

Out of likes so "like".

Choose number 3!

I like it Peter.

I concur.  Time apart doing your own thing is oxygen over the long term, for both people.

'Mates' for a guy is very important.  But guys don't really usually get together and gossip about nothing in particular unless there is a reason.  Having a common interest gives a reason to meet up.  'Cars and Coffee' would be a complete flop for guys if it was just 'Coffee'.  Millions of women meet up for 'Coffee' all the time but guys never do it.  Add the 'Cars' bit and everyone turns up.

I would go the 996/997 route if including the partner is more of a priority.  But for me, time away in and under the car is alone time.

Like!

*Devils Advocate Warning*

It sounds to me like you'd have a lot more time to drive a P car that wasn't so precious to you...  No wonder you are not enjoying it if 4 drops of rain has you retreating to a carcoon!  

Cars are made to drive, especially Porsches.  But yours has become like a valuable piece of art, hanging in your home, and you live in fear when the kids friends come over because they might find a stray crayon and devalue your art.

911's ARE art...I could look at one nearly all day long...but ultimately I want to go drive the pants off one.

I don't think you're really too busy to drive a Porsche, it's just too many planets need to line up to create the perfect time to drive THIS one.

So I think it boils down to what you value more:

a) Driving a Porsche that you happen to own.

B) Owning a Porsche that a rare object of art.

If it's a), Sell it, buy a cheaper Porsche and drive it often. Get a 996 for $35-40K - you don't have to worry about them going up in value!

or B) Keep it, care for it, admire it, and love it for what it is, a collectable classic car work of art.

I think most of this sums up your dilema Ben, your car is gobsmacking. I don't blame you not driving it in the rain and everytime we organise a drive here in Newy everyone asks me is Ben coming, god i hope so because i want to look at your car again.

This car you should not sell i don't think you will find another like it.

When your house is done you may find more time to drive her, or organise the week so you can fit in a couple of hours to give her a run.

I'd recommend getting a 944 as a second if you can do it and blast off in that if you think it going to bucket on you, life's too short and you need to find a bit of time to enjoy that vehicle, that's what you got it for right?

My Mel is not a car gal either but i drag her out for lunch or a coffee somewhere, she doesn't enjoy life over 3,500 rpm so i don't when she is in the car with me (mostly), she does enjoy being out for a drive though so that gets her out with me and the car is very comfortable on a long run.

If you think of it shoot me a txt if you are heading out sometime i might be able to tag along.

Keep it, i think you may regret it if you sell it at the moment.

Last year when I took a job in Auckland, I sold my '76 911 sporto (to SteveF, yay) and was seeking to put my 964 out on consignment. I was looking at a permanent relocation at that stage, and it would have been difficult to take the car over to NZ, but not impossible. However, I had more or less the same dilemma as you - it's a concourse-level car, not one that I drive around in regularly, and quite neglected due to my busy job, and a preference for family-time when I do have down-time.

As it turns out, I picked up the 928 on the cheap as a daily driver, with no great expectations, and it turned out to be fantastic. I daily-drove it everywhere, parked it outside in all conditions, and it never failed to make me smile. In fact, it completely re-kindled my enthusiasm for the brand AND the 964.

Just throwing it out there, I probably won't be bringing my 928 across from Auckland now as there are some really cheap ones locally that I have my eye on, I would also love to tick a 968CS off the bucket-list.

Archived