Yaw Rate Sensor to Benz R320 - $2000

Im in the middle of being f*%$^Dd over by a large MB dealer.

My wife's R320 needs a new Yaw Rate Sensor as the ESP, Cruise, RunFlats, SeatBelt Explosions, etc etc etc have failed.  Whats worse, is the ABS kicks in (at low speed so far) and it locked up one wheel as it "thought" we were spinning.

So, I do need to get it fixed, however I can buy the same part on MBONLINE for $300 USD.

http://www.mbonlineparts.com/parts/2008/Mercedes-Benz/R320/index.cfm?action=partDetail&section=BRAKES&group=ANTI%2DLOCK%20BRAKES&subgroup=STABILITY%20CONTROL&component=YAW%20RATE%20SENSOR&partnumber=0055422018&vehicleid=204441&siteid=215843

Has anyone had any history of using mbonline.com ?   Are the actually new OEM gear, or is it straight form China ?

Hoping the MB dealer will see the light and reduce the $2000 part down to something more reasonable, otherwise I get it trucked back to Byron for the Indy to do.

I have bought many parts from the US over the years from a few different suppliers for my fleet of Benzes and have received good quality and/ or OE parts all the time.

You will find (as you have) that MB dealers have pretty big markups on spares in Aus....

Do a search on mbworld.org and benzworld.org, they may have some posts on this and any replacement issues.

There is also MBSpares in Canberra, will be cheaper than dealer but most likely more expensive than US.

MB dealer in Atlanta is also a cheap source of parts.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/__RWD/SENDER-UNIT/7368950/0055422018.html

Cheers

Generally most replacement parts of that sort come from the original supplier, Bosch or whoever. Just doesn't come in the oem box.

I haven't seen that type of sensor being made as a knockoff.

Try telling that to the "Service Advisor" !

I have bought many parts from the US over the years from a few different suppliers for my fleet of Benzes and have received good quality and/ or OE parts all the time.

You will find (as you have) that MB dealers have pretty big markups on spares in Aus....

Do a search on mbworld.org and benzworld.org, they may have some posts on this and any replacement issues.

There is also MBSpares in Canberra, will be cheaper than dealer but most likely more expensive than US.

MB dealer in Atlanta is also a cheap source of parts.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/__RWD/SENDER-UNIT/7368950/0055422018.html

Cheers

MBWorld had it for $297 USD - but they don't ship to Aus.

Canberra had it for $800, so that will have to do.

Now I just have to get the car out of MBB without them doing anymore "labour" on it - at $220 per hour !

You should go and see Patrick at Three Point Classic in Mt Gravatt (instead of getting it serviced at the dealer)

Its only at the dealer because I was 900 metres away when it started randomly locking a rear wheel and applying ABS at low speeds.   Did not really want to head back to Byron with the family in a car like that.

So left it for "an opinion" - so far they want to charge me $700 for the opinion !!! :blink:

Am trying to arrange a truck to bring it back to Byron for it to be repaired by my local Indy here.

Thanks for the tip.

BUT, if you know of a cost-effective (I'm a tight wad) truck to bring the car BRIS - Byron then let me know.

Will it drive if you disconnect the sensor?  Sometimes those types of things will have a mode where, if the sensor is unplugged, it might disable the ESP but the car will drive OK.

You can also try UK parts sites - I've found the Royal Mail/Aus Post connection seems to work faster than USPS and freight companies.

Pretty rank of the dealer to give you the whole 'don't buy off the internet' spiel.  My local BMW dealer just shrugs their shoulders when I tell them the alternate price with a 'you'd be mad to buy it from us' look.  Maybe you look like a better customer than me ;-)

MBpartsworld should ship to Aus, I had to email them direct to get freight price to Aus (parts@mbpartsworld.com)

Have you ordered from MBSpares? They can be good to get stuff quickly but can aslo be expensive.

You could also try FCP Euro in the US, they did not list the part but have been very helpful on my recent purchases and they may be able to get? (mike@fcpeuro.com)

$700 for what should be a very quick check is robbery! Should be a simple plug in and read the error codes?? Sounds worse than my local dealer....

It may be cheaper to get an indy to fix in Bris than to freight car??

These guys were recommended on the Merc site I frequent - never used them myself, may be worth a quote?

shaws.net.au/depots/brisbane/

Good luck!

"Stealerships"

$700 for an opinion is criminal. I would be talking to the office of fair trading.

They will tell you "We are the experts" That would imply they know what they are doing and should be able to pin point an issue faster than anybody else, would it not?

"We have factory trained experts"

"We have direct links to the factory"

"Nobody knows these cars like we do"

"We only employ the best Technicians"

"We have a $20,000 diagnostic console"

As a qualified Mechanic this makes me mad. $220/hour, there is every chance the apprentice on $15/hour was put on the job.

My experience with $20,000 factory diagnostic computers in Stealerships is that a few of the Mechanics have a bit of a clue, but in general they use about 10% of the capacity of the unit. They press the same 3 buttons to read the faults and another 3 buttons to clear the faults. Ask any questions about the other buttons and nobody seems to know or are too worried to press the unknown buttons.

I suspect a $10 OBD cable for your iphone, a $2 app and some google time will get the same diagnostic codes.

"Stealerships"

$700 for an opinion is criminal. I would be talking to the office of fair trading.

They will tell you "We are the experts" That would imply they know what they are doing and should be able to pin point an issue faster than anybody else, would it not?

"We have factory trained experts"

"We have direct links to the factory"

"Nobody knows these cars like we do"

"We only employ the best Technicians"

"We have a $20,000 diagnostic console"

As a qualified Mechanic this makes me mad. $220/hour, there is every chance the apprentice on $15/hour was put on the job.

My experience with $20,000 factory diagnostic computers in Stealerships is that a few of the Mechanics have a bit of a clue, but in general they use about 10% of the capacity of the unit. They press the same 3 buttons to read the faults and another 3 buttons to clear the faults. Ask any questions about the other buttons and nobody seems to know or are too worried to press the unknown buttons.

I suspect a $10 OBD cable for your iphone, a $2 app and some google time will get the same diagnostic codes.

This.

When I screwed up my BMW dash with some bad software, I took it to the dealer and asked them to reset the bios in the unit, knowing their '$20,000 diagnostic system' had the capability.  They gave me blank stares.  Eventually they found the 'expert' guy who said it couldn't be done after resetting my clock.  They suggested they could quote me on a new instrument panel but I told them not to even bother opening the computer for that quote.

I found another guy on a forum who happened to live close to me.  We edited the binary manually by comparing it to a known good one to get rid of the bung code and re-uploaded the fixed file using a $10 cable and a 10 year old XP laptop.  Problem fixed.

I assume you have it fixed/towed by now but I would still bet the car would drive safely with the sensor disconnected (albeit without ESP active).  The dealers would never admit this or even know if it was possible.

Don't take this the wrong way Chris, but when you buy a car like that don't you accept that repairs are going to be more expensive than say your average commodore or the like? And seeing its the car that transports your loved ones I say just get it fixed.

Still, I got quoted over $200 for long life coolant and over $150 for front pads for my Suzuki swift (don't laugh - it's the hy-po version).

I don't know if its too late BBC but try HSY Parts mate,  they are very good! I always use them for MB or BMW parts.

http://www.hsy.com.au

Edgy

Thanks for the link, but according to the website, they're wholesale or trade only...

Please Note: we only sell and supply products to the WHOLESALE & TRADE industry, we DO NOT retail our products.

Don't take this the wrong way Chris, but when you buy a car like that don't you accept that repairs are going to be more expensive than say your average commodore or the like? And seeing its the car that transports your loved ones I say just get it fixed.

Still, I got quoted over $200 for long life coolant and over $150 for front pads for my Suzuki swift (don't laugh - it's the hy-po version).

Agree. Happy to pay more, but when the untrained service technicians take 5 hours to diagnose what I already knew, and that's when I complain.

Edgy

Thanks for the link, but according to the website, they're wholesale or trade only...

Please Note: we only sell and supply products to the WHOLESALE & TRADE industry, we DO NOT retail our products.

Just call with your chassis number... They will serve you. Trust me

Agree. Happy to pay more, but when the untrained service technicians take 5 hours to diagnose what I already knew, and that's when I complain.

I see your point there. Had same issue getting Aircon in my house fixed. Took them 4 visits to find the problem and fix it. I have asked why. My guess is that they want to get in and out too quickly rather than fault finding properly.

Not really.  MB parts aren't made of unicorn horns - the actual part costs 1/5th of the quoted price from other locations.

More expensive than a commodore, yes.  Let's say a commodore sensor costs $150.  A benz sensor might cost $300.  That's reasonable for a more expensive car sold in fewer numbers.

$2k for the part?  $700 to inspect and diagnose?  No, that's rubbish.

Im picking the car up from Brisbane Mercedes on Thursday WITHOUT the Yaw Rate Sensor being fixed.    The "service advisor" came back and quoted me "the best price I can do is $3,000 for the sensor, plus labour."    WTF !!!!!   Its gone UP by 50% since we started.

So, the initial MB Advisor quoted $1,200.   When I said OK, the next advisor came back with $2,000.  Now it's $3,000.

Then he emailed me asking if I wanted them to replace the carpet and trim for an additional labour cost of $220  :blink:   I said no.

Still waiting to get the "invoice" from them to see how much they want to charge for for diag.  I authorised $220.   let's see what comes.

Ill get it done at Byron Bay for $800 plus labour.

Sheeeh these guys are on a good wicket.

Update.

Got the car back and they agreed to settle for just a one hour diag fee, which is all I ever asked for.

Car has same esp error, but now has also developed srs error in passenger seat and they forgot to reattach the passenger seatbelt after they removed it (in error, the yaw rate sensor is under the drivers carpet)

So, back to Byron Indy next week to sort this mess out....then hoping for a good car again ;)

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY ENDING...

After being quoted $3,800 by the dealer, with the part costing $2000, my local Byron independent charged me $900 for the part and $100 to install.

And the funny thing...the dealer had the passenger seat removed, all the floor trim removed.....and still could not diagnose the problem. THATS BECAUSE THE SENSOR IS LOCATED UNDER THE DRIVER CARPET.

Indy just lifted the driver floor (didn't remove seat) and installed. No need to remove passenger seat.

Archived