SSI Heat exchanges ?

Hi I have just Bought a 86 3.2 Carrera,
It came with a MONTY-EXHM41 muffler one in one out,?
but I have read a bit about people recommending getting the SSI heat exchanges what is the benefits of them to the factory ones?
and then looking at getting a chip  to suit 

thanks 
Paul

post-1497-0-63596800-1429917282_thumb.jp

Saozzi, if you go down the SSI route with with a 2 in style muffler to suit, I'll buy the Monty off you...there I got in first!

haha - you beat me to it

I'll take ticket #2 in case you change your mind G5032

I was looking at SSI's for a while and there are some mixed opinions when going on a 3.2 as the pipes are smaller than standard. I retained the original heat exchanges on my 86 and just went for a 1 in 2 out M&K muffler and couldn't be more pleased. My car did not have a cat

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at SSI's for a while and there are some mixed opinions when going on a 3.2 as the pipes are smaller than standard. I retained the original heat exchanges on my 86 and just went for a 1 in 2 out M&K muffler and couldn't be more pleased. My car did not have a cat

Are the SSI ` heat exchanges  all the same size or are there options ? 

Are the SSI ` heat exchanges  all the same size or are there options ? 

There are two different flange thicknesses for early and late cars. You can interchange but may need to put longer studs in. Once you start removing studs though , you may open up a can of worms - or not. A hoist is your friend.

• 1 year later...

If you choose to go with SSI, then all you need to do is make sure you purchase the correct ones. The ones with the bungs for your temp/o2 sensor is your friend. As far as thick/thin flange, just stick your head under the car to determine which you need.

I for one can comment that the car definitely revved freely once installed

Good luck!

Can you just take out the cat converter and put a M&K Exhaust Stainless Steel Cat By-Pass Pipe, 911, (1978-89)

MK_911CATBY_zpsgjmvzney.jpg

Paul,

Assuming you still have the standard headers and the one in/one out Monty still on the car that you mentioned in your opening post, the answer is "yes". 

However in terms for bang for your buck - assuming again that the only thing you have done to the engine is install the Monty - is to spend your cash on a Steve Wong chip rather than a cat bypass as the '86 cars were detuned for 91 RON as that was all that was available that year.  I would think that would get you from 152kW to 160kW like the '87 onwards cars that where then tuned for the increasing available of 95 and higher RON unleaded fuel.

The dansk one was recommended to me a couple of days ago as I'm thinking if doing the same thing. Looking at the costs of the various ones I can find, they all seem much of a muchness.

Dansk or M&K ??  will do more Googling on the matter , should give it a bit more sound and not sure on grunt ?

Dansk or M&K ??  will do more Googling on the matter , should give it a bit more sound and not sure on grunt ?

Haven't you got enough sound from the Monty? Granted mine is a 3.0 not 3.2, but sheez....the house shook with the stock system and Monty!

Haven't you got enough sound from the Monty? Granted mine is a 3.0 not 3.2, but sheez....the house shook with the stock system and Monty!

In the garage its sounds great but when you drive it you can hardly hear it  

In the garage its sounds great but when you drive it you can hardly hear it  

Unfortunately, you will always have this dilemma, the sound is mainly for the spectators drooling as you drive by.....You can always drive with the window down to get more of the sound experience ;) 

No personal experience, but the Bursch mufflers sound awesome. Mind you it's only through youtube.....

Archived