First track outing in HK993 - Wakefield Park

rosswj67

Thanks D-banger!

PSS-10's were 5 all the way round... I think I have a way to go before suspension setup and tyre pressures become critical. It was on the stock 17" Cup II's with Nitto NT01's and they were also brand new to the track, so hopefully times will come down a little once I start to get the feel for the car and the effect these kind of settings may have..

Have no idea if the LSD did anything - the car never broke traction at the rear which I guess is ideal :) for a quick lap...

Oh, and I uploaded another video - same lap, but different view as I'm experimenting with both Harry's Lap Timer and RaceChrono to see which I like better... This one you can just about make out the RPM ...

https://youtu.be/5h1iE-Yvywg 

And last one for the night a full 6 lap session - the last dryish session of the day.

Proper laps start at about 2:50, and I string together 3 x 1:14's in a row before hitting slower traffic...

I think I like this camera position the best, and so far liking RaceChrono overlays better than Harry's.

Nice driving, car looks very smooth in the video. What did you think of the NT01s? What pressures did you run in the NT01s? I tried 30psi hot on the weekend in my GT3 and experienced quite a lot of movement in the tyres. Going to try 32/33 next time out. Supposedly these tyres get better as they get older too!

and don't forget you've still got your adjustable sway bars to add to the mix :D

Ahhh, yes. Hmmm - maybe a bit later :) they are both set mid-way.

Nice driving, car looks very smooth in the video. What did you think of the NT01s? What pressures did you run in the NT01s? I tried 30psi hot on the weekend in my GT3 and experienced quite a lot of movement in the tyres. Going to try 32/33 next time out. Supposedly these tyres get better as they get older too!

Thanks. Like everything about them so far except when the track got damp - that was a bit hairy... They were great on the trip down, not noisy at all.

I started with 30psi cold. I checked several times straight after a session and the hot pressures were between 36-38 on the front left which copped the most abuse. Rears were about 34 hot. It was a little difficult to get heat in as the temp today ranged from about 7c to 11c. I felt movement too, but despite that they gripped...

Ahhh, yes. Hmmm - maybe a bit later :) they are both set mid-way.

Thanks. Like everything about them so far except when the track got damp - that was a bit hairy... They were great on the trip down, not noisy at all.

I started with 30psi cold. I checked several times straight after a session and the hot pressures were between 36-38 on the front left which copped the most abuse. Rears were about 34 hot. It was a little difficult to get heat in as the temp today ranged from about 7c to 11c. I felt movement too, but despite that they gripped...

great fun isn't it and very addictive.

as spiller suggests between 30-34 psi hot is the range for most tyres

check them after each session and you'll soon notice the difference and make them last longer as well

i use 33 hot on my Hankook Td 221's and they are considered high compared to other tyres

Nice to see someone else in a 993 out on track

cheers

Suggest you have your left hand a bit lower on the wheel. Quarter to three position. When you turn right your hand is going over the top of the wheel and you're pulling it down. This drags your shoulder off the seat back. Lower your hand and you will be pushing the wheel up and your back into the seat. Possible you are doing the same with your right hand. Cant see in the vid. Lines look pretty much ok.

Have fun and go fast....er.

great fun isn't it and very addictive.

as spiller suggests between 30-34 psi hot is the range for most tyres

check them after each session and you'll soon notice the difference and make them last longer as well

i use 33 hot on my Hankook Td 221's and they are considered high compared to other tyres

Nice to see someone else in a 993 out on track

cheers

Thanks, a few people have now said similar re pressures. I'll definitely try dropping them a bit more next time out. And yes, we need more 993's in general out and about!

Suggest you have your left hand a bit lower on the wheel. Quarter to three position. When you turn right your hand is going over the top of the wheel and you're pulling it down. This drags your shoulder off the seat back. Lower your hand and you will be pushing the wheel up and your back into the seat. Possible you are doing the same with your right hand. Cant see in the vid. Lines look pretty much ok.

Have fun and go fast....er.

Wow, thanks Airhead - I watched it back and see exactly what you mean and I'm sure it was both sides.

Great advice and certainly habits I want to avoid early on - appreciate the feedback!

• 1 month later...

A little bit of video from Sunday at the Multi Club Super Sprint at Wakefield Park. Best time of the day was a 1:11.3, but I didn't have the camera on. This video has a couple of laps following a friend's MR2, then a couple of hotter laps getting into the 1:11's.

Was an excellent day with over 50 laps completed and barely any traffic at the end of the day.

HA ha. You moved the camera so I can't see your hands!

:) Not intentionally. I liked the previous location, however being a Super Sprint, the camera couldn't be a suction cup mount without a tether, so as a quick solution I removed the passengers sun visor and attached a GoPro mount there screwed into the attachment points.

But I was taking note of my hand positions. Times are down about 2 seconds from the last outing, and I think the next issue to address will be the need for a harness as I'm gripping the wheel way too hard to avoid sliding out of the seats with the 3 point belts...

the need for a harness as I'm gripping the wheel way too hard to avoid sliding out of the seats with the 3 point belts...

Ah. The never ending spiral.

PS. Get a good wrap around seat to hold you in. You'll find the harness wont be enough.

Then gloves, shoes, stickier tyres. Then dedicated track car. Race licence. See me at the bottom (of the spiral) when you get there. I'm the one with a silly grin on my face.

• 1 month later...

Nice pics and video. Congrats on improvements.

The early years of trackdays can often be the most fun. When you slide down that slippery slope of modifying a street car it can get very steep. The next thing you'll want is a good seat. That will make a big difference. I liked those tyres when I ran them back in 2010. Best of the 'B' grade bunch and worth staying with until you've done many more trackdays. Not sure if you're a member of the PCNSW but if not, worth joining and getting into the club Sprint days. Lots of fun with like minded Porsche owners. 

Archived