Looking for first Porsche

I just wanted to introduce myself to the Forum.

At the moment looking to realize a life long dream of owning my first Porsche, and I want to make it a classic. 

Hitting mid forties after working tirelessly for so long on work and raising a family I feel like I've earned it. The Porsche will be for me to enjoy drives with friends who own Porsche's and the odd track day but also my teenage son has Autism and he loves getting out on the open road and driving around the Dandenong's. So I'm thinking Sunday morning drives with his Dad as a bit of a routine in the Porsche will bring some joy to his life over the coming years as he comes into adulthood as his opportunities are limited.

My criteria is pre 996/air cooled and my budget is 60-80k. If if any members can give any advice or here if any cars for sale it would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm a cash buyer and ready to go and I pride myself on dealing swiftly and respectfully on any purchase from a Porsche forum member. 

Thanks to anyone who can assist in any way. 

Cheers and thanks

Marty

Marty,

Welcome and good luck with your search and purchase.

If you are open to owning a convertible or Targa you should have a few to choose from for your money.  A coupe is also possible too but you will need to be very lucky and quick to respond or willing to do some work on it. 

Realistically I think you may need to be open to buying a 996.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though!

If you haven't had exposure to them before, I'd suggest a PPI or at least have a someone who has have a look too for that valuable second opinion. 

Regards

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thanks very much for that. I would love a Coupe but would settle for a Targa and you're right I have seen more Targas in my price range. 

Thanks for the advice on the alerts I'll do that. And definitely a PPI inspection thanks I don't know what to look for it will all be a learning curve and don't want to learn anything the hard way.

Thanks again!

Marty

Gidday Marty.  Welcome to the forum.  Have you seen this?  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1974/SSE-AD-3490853/?gts=SSE-AD-3490853&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-3490853

It's kind of cool on the outside, although the interior might turn some off (including me). 

Hey Stew,

Thank you for that good to be here. I have seen this. At first I thought no way because Orange isn't my colour but then it started growing on me. It is kind of gritty with the black wheels and a bit hot rod. I agree though the interior is just not for me either. 

Its ts right in my price range though and looks like it's had some great work done to it. 

Cheers

Marty

Hi Marty

there was a car advertised on this forum in the for sale section a couple of months ago

I know this car is still available ,  it actually presents quite well and it may be worth your while to look at if you would consider a Targa.

Look for the topic  (For Sale- '84 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa) .

Cheers

Monty

Hi Marty

there was a car advertised on this forum in the for sale section a couple of months ago

I know this car is still available ,  it actually presents quite well and it may be worth your while to look at if you would consider a Targa.

Look for the topic  (For Sale- '84 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa) .

Cheers

Monty

Hey Monty,

Thanks very much I had a look nice looking car and very interesting. 

Cheers

Marty

Hi Marty,

You need to be quick in the current climate, like within the minute quick! Stay glued to here and get your alerts set up - best of luck on your search. 

Cheers, Hugh. 

Hi Hugh,

Thank you. The alerts seems to be an important one it's been mentioned a couple of times I'll be setting those up today thanks. 

Cheers

Marty

Gidday Marty.  Welcome to the forum.  Have you seen this?  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1974/SSE-AD-3490853/?gts=SSE-AD-3490853&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-3490853

It's kind of cool on the outside, although the interior might turn some off (including me). 

I was just reading this ad and I noted that he says it is a 3.0l in it but from memory the 3rd digit of the engine number denotes the year and that engine is a 74 so it would be a 2.7... Something doesn't add up. 

I was just reading this ad and I noted that he says it is a 3.0l in it but from memory the 3rd digit of the engine number denotes the year and that engine is a 74 so it would be a 2.7... Something doesn't add up. 

from the sellers comments:

"It's a 1974 vehicle with a 3.0L upgraded engine and running gear."

I understand he says it is a 74 with an upgraded 3.0L, but he quotes the new engines number which is still a 74. It should be 78 or older. 

Maybe he put down the number off old rego papers, or maybe it just had new p&cs on the 2.7 case?  Can you do that sort of thing?

I'm learning already thanks very much for the comments..

There's that Viper Green Targa on Gumtree

Pretty sure the owner of that car is on the Forum

Thanks P-Kay I'll check it out!

Archived