MG's

LeeM

MGB GT in particular (the one with a roof)

Anyone owned one for any length of time? Liked it, regretted buying it? Would you buy one again?

I know the common faults re rust, wiring etc, but want owners opinions on them, not what one reads on a forum

We have a 1968 MK 11 MGB (wifes) and have had it for around 10 years. We searched hard and found a good car (ex pres MG club owner etc. etc.) and it's been a great little car and realatively easy to maintain. 

Unfortunately it gets little use nowadays but it's been a pleasure to own. I quite like the GT but I've always had a soft spot for the TC personally. 

I'll ask Vic if she wants to do a deal for your 912 ;)

Oooh that'll cost her mate! Just thinking out loud at the moment

I've wanted one for about the same amount of time I've wanted a Porsche, yet it'd be more for the missus (thats what I'm telling her anyway). I recently thought of buying one to clean up a bit and flog it off, but I'm keen to look into it more as having another cheap classic car in the near future

A local guy was seriously looking at 911s ; ended up buying a $$ restored V8 coupe for $ , and immediately regretted it. It just didn't tick the expected boxes somehow.  The MG might be a good fit but I'd contact the MG car club and see if you can get a drive. They have heaps of events and always a spare seat.

You will of course need a beard and a cap.

And fingerless leather gloves! 

Just got home, and my missus mate rang her dad who has 3 MG's he's restored. Hoping to grab one this weekend and see what its like. The Bay To Birdwood classic car run is on Sunday, so ill go and have a squiz and chat with some owners too

I looked around on Youtube at the V8 converted cars. They'd be a laugh to drive, but there is NO WAY I'm undertaking another resto project again

I offered a guy not much for his GT, as it needs some work, but I think I insulted him.

We had a red 68 MGB GT.  It was a really nice example of an English sports car IMO.  Had the overdrive option and no "sunroof" as well.  The brakes are rubbish (no power assist until some time in the 70's), wind noise from around the door leading edges, electrics were prone to issues, but very basic and easy to fix. 68 had alternator.  Pre 68 had generators. Easy job to install a power booster, like a PBR VH44, or a Lockheed unit like I fitted. They are a great looking car.  The rear hatch is very heavy.  The interior is a timeless classic.  Rust, rust & more rust.  On the up side, parts are readily available and actually reasonably priced.  Check the wire wheels for broken spokes and rust around the spoke nipples.  The wheels are probably the most expensive fix on the car.

And fingerless leather gloves! 

I looked around on Youtube at the V8 converted cars.

If you're after a coupe , fingerless gloves would be a bit , er , faux pas.

The V8 I mentioned is the factory one.

The complaint was that the power band is not exciting and handling certainly not Porsche like. He paid ~30k for a concours resto that cost 60k odd.

About the factory V8's Taz, what you say is practically identical to what I've read int he past couple of days. 

Was told about a conversion by a bloke that has restored a few MG's. $10k including a tweaked Rover V8 at a shop. I'd love a V8, but being told to day that a full rebuild of an 1800 is about $3k, with an option to do a single carb conversion for an extra $500ish which would be more appealing to me.

Thanks Stew. I've been talking to a guy tonight about them, and he's basically echoing your comments. Great cars when theyre sorted, and he also advised the cost of rust repair panels and all the other things i would probably need to do. I wish Porsche parts were that cheap!

Earlier, I received some photo's of the car i made a very lowball offer on, and i will be steering well clear of it! Good ol riveted patches in the floor and more bog in the sills than you could imagine! Its a dogs breakfast

Theres a red GT on ebay in Queensland that was $6250 buy it now last week, then up to $8000 buy it now coupla days later, yet he's pulled the ad because he crashed it due to brake fail. Oops! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1972-MGB-gt-hardtop-/262055416426?hash=item3d03b8526a

I'd like something like this, but it's over my budget, and the missus hates white cars (well, it will be kind of hers, sorta) and I'd prefer a 60's car

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-perth/cars-vans-utes/1973-m-g-mgb-coupe/1088902616

This one is knackered

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MG-mgb-gt-1966-1-8-ltr-twin-su-carbs-4-speed-running-suit-restoration-/301745805051?hash=item46417396fb

I'm in no hurry at all, as the 912 is the priority unless i find a car too cheap to pass up

• 4 weeks later...

I had a 75 BGT , in the end I went for Koni conversion , lowered it a little and bored it out to 1800 and put a good cam and Rover Su's on it , it flew and was very very drivable as a classic. I drove t to work every day , rain , hail, shine.

At the same time had a an original full anorak appeal original car and it was royal pain in the arse .. some would say charecter but the ownership by comparision a nightmare.

I also had a friend with an MGC , I dont think you need to go to a V8, too hot and too much gas for nothing 

Some of the tech in these cars are clearly 1950's and needs update.. plenty of insulation , suspension , front end roll bar , good radials , wiring update , fuel pumps and your in the joy zone in my view

Some of the best years of my life and entry into sportscars.

Thanks mate. 

I drove an MG rag top last week for the first time and loved it. Love the sound of the things, and now know why people like them

I'm still keen for a GT next year when things get a bit better (and I finish the 912!) yet I would definately upgrade the suspension for more 'enthusiastic' driving through the hills. 

When you buy and look to do this work

Pretty sure they are all B series engines.

Consider the big picture when your doing this stuff n your motor  , you can google it , there is a restriction with the head layout and im not a super mechanic , but increasing the size of the valves and the adjustments are quite particular and there is what is called a robbing effect and carbies can have some impact on that.

I was a backyard builder at the time and got some lucky/good results , the engines 1800b , got bored out to something like 1900-1960 , slightly bigger valves , new seats etc , unleaded stainless vales etc, street cam .. but you might also read up on other carbies than SU's for me they came from the scrap yard of a rover 3.5 for $50 So was my easiest solution , along with a K+ N

There are some good reads albeit technical around like this one 

http://mgbmga.com/tech/mgb20.htm

You can also look at diffs for quicker action , but I really recommend a car with the overdrive if you gonna go any distance

Happy researching 

Archived