Tank removal

Hughesy

I'll be looking at Clark Rubber for some sort of rubber for the tank to pan. Or was thinking of using a pinch strip that attaches to he tank edge and knock it on. Cheap and very effective. I used the pinch strip to fit to my rear over riders instead of flimsy rubber gaskets that ended up in the bin!

There are LOADS of products that are a close replacement to original seals etc

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-extrusions-3/pinchweld-seal.html

This is the Porsche replacement part plus shipping http://www.stoddard.com/901-504-932-20-fuel-tank-seal.html

This is the Clark Rubber range http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-extrusions-3/sponge-seal.html

All you need is the width and buy a metre or 2. much cheaper and easliy available

No worries. I would probably use a thinner higher density rubber than the grey foam. Theyre sticky backed, so make sure the pan is clean before applying

Just drop into Clark rubber and have a look around ;)

I did this when I was rebuilding the "tea tray" and needed the tail to engine cover seal.  While Clark Rubber had something close it was actually cheaper to buy the factory part and as it turned out, was easier to fit.  A lot of their products are sold by the metre and work out expensive.

By all means shop around but don't totally discard the factory part.

Hughesy,

I've recently had my tank out to tidy up.  I was unable to get the correct coloured chip guard so I ended up painting the tank after applying new chip guard to the places that needed redoing.  Amazingly I found that Taubmans do an exact match!  I can dig out the name of the colour if you're interested.

RIMG0416_zpsb0wr45vk.jpg

Cheers

No worries. I would probably use a thinner higher density rubber than the grey foam. Theyre sticky backed, so make sure the pan is clean before applying

Just drop into Clark rubber and have a look around ;)

Fitch The Rubber Man is also a good source of rubber extrusions.  We spec a lot of gear from their range in our client's designs.  I bought some gear from there for my 50's Dodge once.  A windscreen seal and some door seals.  As well as their own range of general stuff, I think they are an agent for Scott's Old Auto Rubber.  They've moved on from the days of whoopee cushions, joy buzzers and fake vomit.

Amazing job clutch. Looks the goods. I've looked up pcc products on northshore.  I've got a shopping list. 

Pors tank kit 

pors 15 paint 

leatherique leather rejuvenating kit. 

Im gonna be busy. 

Peter M if you could supply tau mans code that would be great. 

Will quote it to pcc and see if they can match it. 

Cheers hughesy 

Peter M if you could supply tau mans code that would be great. 

Im gonna be busy.

Hughesy,

I found the Taubmans colour "Almaz" to be an exact match for the original weird olive green grey colour of the tank in my '85.  Sorry, I don't have the code but I'm sure you will get it easily if you ask.

To remove the existing chip guard I found these 3M abrasive wheels from Bunnings useful:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/3m-4-paint-rust-stripper-abrasive-disc-_p6314180

Just take care to flush the tank afterwards as the abrasive impregnated in the wheel is just that, abrasive!

You're going to busier as having the tank out is also the ideal time to redo the rust proofing in the hollow front cross member and side sections and the notorious bit under the battery.   Also a great time to repaint the area around the battery and the front of the frunk as access won't get any easier than now.

Cheers 

Before you get stuck in, take a really good look inside the tank. If it's the same colour as that old fuel, you need to clean / degrease the tank first before chucking that marine clean into it. 4 litres just isn't sufficient to clean out an 80 litre tank. You'll also struggle to get the tank sealer round the inside of the tank if it's an original one, the baffle in the middle will hold all the sealer so unless the tank is leaking, don't put the sealer in.

I've gone through this exercise in the last few weeks, you could say this is the voice of experience ! 

Best thing you can do is go to your local Coles / Woolies, buy all the 2 litre bottles of apple cider vinegar you can find and pour that in after you've degreased it. Leave it for a week or so, it'll shift all the rust off the inside and leave you with a shiny clean tank  that doesn't need any kind of sealer on it. I couldn't believe how well mine came up considering the condition it started in. Took a fair bit of swilling out with demineralised water and bicarbonate of soda but it's shiny inside now.

Archived