914-6 Conversion

maddin

Did a couple of smallish jobs today...

a while ago I bought a Euro spec kit for the front turn signals,was pretty straight forward,had to file down the aluminium inserts to fit.Next will be the wiring,have to look into that first..

euro-lenses-1-P1070228.jpg

euro-lenses-2-P1070228.jpg

euro-lenses-3-P1070228.jpg

euro-lenses-4-P1070228.jpg

euro-lenses-5-P1070228.jpg

Also got rid of the fugly side markers,they won't be going back on!

Need to weld the holes closed next and then find somebody to match the paint properly. 

Fuel pump now sits opposite the steering rack,very tight down there,I need to find a couple of cm's either side to get better clearance,once that's done I can connect everything,put the fueltank back in and then turn towards the enginebay.

pumpP1070236.jpg

pumpP1070238.jpg

pumpP1070239.jpg

Disassembled the foglights since one had a cracked lens. I really like the yellow lenses but they are hard to find so I got a can of duplicolour metalcast and tried it on the cracked one..worked perfect and looks great! :-)

yellowlenstestmail.jpg

Got 2 new replacement lenses and sprayed them too.

Good question. Put the engine in( 1978 3.0l SC) ,nothing set up yet,fuelsystem needs to be done ( steel lines in the tunnel are in,rest needs to be fabricated /installed.Engine needs work too (Headstuds),lots of small things need to be done.

I'm stuck at the moment and wonder if there is anybody in the Geelong/Melbourne area who could have a look at it and tell me in what direction I have to go.

I need a plan what to do and where to get it done,since I'm mechanically disabled it's becoming increasingly frustrating :-(

I presume this is a 4 you're converting?  If it was already a 6 you'd be certifiably insane!  So we'll assume it's a 4.  Is it LHD or has someone already done some sort of conversion?

It's a '72 - right on the cusp of rear/side shift - which is it?  A rear shift is a king size pain in the arse so you should think about converting it.  The parts are generally available.  Side shift=GOOD.  Rear shift=PURE EVIL.

If the chassis is not reasonably rust free, either get it fixed (can be eye-wateringly expensive) or sell it.

What do you intend to do with it?  Remember you're putting in an engine that's at least twice as powerful and a lot heavier than what came out.  So apart from the "Let's stick an engine in this space" stuff, you'll need to think about chassis stiffness (they flop around a lot normally, let alone with more grunt and more grip), brakes (std brakes are woeful), suspension (I could write a book on this...), transmission (oh yeah - world of pain here!) and so on.  Even the engine stuff is quite involved.  You need an oil system.  And you have to mount it somehow - there are several mounting systems.

Having done a couple of these myself, I have two initial pieces of advice:  1 - give up your day job because there's a shed load more work than you might think.  2.  Come up with a budget then triple it.

I'm not one to pour cold water on enthusiasm, but it's better to be realistic about this.  A decent conversion will cost quite a bit of money.  A crap conversion will end up costing even more.  Unless you can do most of the mechanical stuff yourself, it would be better to buy this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-914-1973/SSE-AD-2844792/?Cr=1 If it's the one I'm thinking of (sure looks like it) it's a well built car and would cost at least three times the ask to do it again.

Gratuitous advice - get lots of beer - it helps with the cogitating processes.

Hey bumble,

yes it has been a -6 conversion..i bought it without the engine but oil tank and all the conversion parts/tin/exhaust etc. came with it. It's also been converted to side shift.

All the hard yards are done.The body is in very good shape,longs,hellhole and all the usual rust spots are clean,been a californian car all it's life.

The previous engine was a 2.2 out of a 65' 911 (that's why it was sold without the engine :) ) and there is no brake updates or chassis stiffening.Front calipers have been rebuilt.

Car is lowered a tad.I do have 911 front suspension and rotors for 5 lug conversion but still need the rear ones,not sure which way to go there..

What's been done so far is : new Kennedy engineering  clutch , steel fuel lines through the tunnel, modified the 911oil cooler,fuel pump relocated to the front.

What needs to be done: finish fuel lines,bit of welding (got rid of the side markers) and painting front fenders,firewall need a tiny spot welded and resprayed,engine needs head studs done at some stage,needs some sort of heating to get it on the road and all sorts of smallish things .

Most likely will need an external oil cooler for our climate here but that can wait till the car is up and running..

Oh..and of course VASS engineers report and rwc once everything is put together..

I just find it very hard to handle a project like that when my technical understanding is limited,yes I bit off more than i can chew but the car was too good to not buy for price.

I have to chill out  a bit too but I find it extremely stressful at times to not know how and when things are going to be done...

I booked the car in to get the painting and welding done,and finish off the fuelsystem today with my local vw mechanic...will be another 2 weeks till i can drop it off but at least there is some progress after months of stagnation..

I think Bruce's car has been sold....

These are the previous owners pics to give you an idea of condition and work that has been done before I got it

Pics 72' 914

Looks like you have the basis for a very nice car - congratulations.  Keep at it methodically and it'll be great.

IMHO the best option for suspension is 3.2 struts, raised hubs and rotors.  If the budget stretches, Boxster calipers (you have to do some grinding of the rear pads but nothing radical).  Willwood calipers are a good option also.

180lb springs and 21mmTBs is about right.

Chassis flex is a problem if you're gonna push it - and you are gonna push it right?.  I'd fit the factory reinforcing kit (they're cheap) and reinforce the longitudinals (there's someone in the US who makes these which I can fish out if you want).  Of course a cage solves all problems!  Also, check out Tangerine Racing - he has lots of reinforcing doo-dads which you might find useful.

Std. size drive shafts are a problem - the torque will break them.  Rebel Racing used to supply Turbo shafts with the right universals to fit.  Don't know if they still do this, but if not, Patrick MS will have something.  Treat 1st gear with respect!

A 964 fan forced oil cooler mounted under the left rear part of the trunk with Mocal thermostat makes a good economical and (relatively) easily installed cooling solution.  Saves running oil lines up to the front, you don't have to carve holes and it's protected if you snot something.

Engine wise, if it runs, install it.  Broken head studs aren't the end of the world.  I know of guys who have raced for years with broken head studs.

Good Luck...

• 1 month later...

Ok,little bit of progress.

The broken manifold studs are out.My mechanic installed 6 helicoils and finally he can start putting things together for the first time :-)

The engine bay will be resprayed this week,the ugly sidemarkers are gone and will be welded shut and fenders resprayed.

Fuel lines next!

What are the 3 holes under the manifolds in the pic?

Any recommendations for an Auto Electrician in Geelong?

P1070449headers.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a while,work has been busy,making slow but steady progress.

Air injector holes are plugged up,got drain plugs from the local Mercedes dealer which fit perfectly.

Side markers are gone! Looks so much better and the paint job turned out great!

All wired up and working now!

P1070680sidemarker-terminated.jpg

P1070683.jpg

Did a few cosmetical jobs , scraped the flaky paint off the fan shroud and a few other fiberglass parts.Used a plastic scraper and acetone,works great!

Has a few cracks here and there but nothing too dramatic.

Looking for options to get it a bit more shiny.

P1070786mail.jpg

_2120002shroud.jpg

Next job was the headlight surroundings.

They've been painted in body colour but since one of the previous owners has painted the targa top and got rid of the black sail panel vinyl there is an awful lot of red ,too much red! Was hesitant to use paint stripper so I started sanding,180,240,400 and 800 (and a little bit of 1200 to easy my OCD)

Early models have the white surroundings which look great,later models have the black ones.

I used Armor All for the finish ,anybody any experience with protecting and preserving white plastic?

Took a while but the result is pretty nice.

P1070811headlightsurrounding.jpg

P1070834head-light-surr-sanded_1.jpg

installed_2290117.jpg

Changed the fuse board,much better location now and modern fuses!

P1070839fuse-box.jpg

Edwin got rid of a whole pile of wires,disconnected the radio,speakers,alarm and a few other bits,looks much neater now! I haven't got the slightest clue about electrical stuff so it was very interesting to watch.

When we connected the battery and tested the lights I could smell something burning and we immediately disconnected the battery...a small section of wires in the trunk has melted..Edwin worked his way back from there and we ended up with the license plate lights connected the wrong way around. I remember doing this ages ago when I ordered 2 new lights...oops!

Luckily the rest of the wiring loom was fine..just a small section was affected.

Gets your adrenaline level up real quick..

Another small job was the pedal board,the original one was all warped and rotten so I bought some marine grade plywood, traced it and cut it out...have to paint it and transfer the hardware bits next.

P1070675pedalboard.jpg

Will be getting an ECU instead of rebuilding the CIS. Ordered one from Rasant . Andrew is extremely helpful and we'll be modifying the distributor overe here instead of sending it back and forth.

Took it apart and cleaned it up,was broken inside anyway and very dirty....

P1070814distr-disassembled.jpg

P1070830rust-inside.jpg

...but cleaned up alright!

P1070835distr-cleaned.jpg

P1070833cleaned-up.jpg

Next steps will be finalizing the electrics,need a few tiny spade connectors for the license plate lights and once the ECU arrives the fun begins....

You could also paint it white? Was the original ones painted or raw plastic?

They were not painted originally,they do weather quite a bit over time and turn yellowish.Mine are actually in really good condition,they didn't have a lot of marks or scratches.

I'll see how they hold up,don't think I'll be driving much at night anyway.

Really great progress, seems like an enjoyable project! Well done. 

Thanks,

I have zero experience and everything I do on the car I do for the first time .

It's been frustrating at times but I have somebody helping me,otherwise I'd be totally lost.

Things are slowly taking shape and even though it's small steps I'm excited about everything now...I stopped putting a time frame on the project...makes it a lot more enjoyable!

Archived