New 356 in QLD

Merv

I called the Porsche Centre in Melb last week to check on the original delivery details of my 356. In speaking to Harry A., there (who had the actual Kardex on his screen) I was able to confirm its dates of manufacture and first sale by Hamiltons.  All good then.   Now, I was also told that they no longer issue CoA's for Australian delivered cars as there are so many contested cases these days that they get dragged into.  Does this mean that, unlike the USA, we cannot even get CoA's (let along Kardex) in Australia?

Are there no known alternatives?

Merv

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my Kardex for the 356 today and it was quite exciting.  It proves further that the car was Australian delivered by Hamiltons in RHD, as I was advised.  Shows the options it had fitted and most importantly shows it is fully matching numbers throughout.

I had been told that the engine was changed early in its life, but now I have the evidence that this was done AT the factory to a slightly later motor in the B series. This was often done when a motor did not pass all testing requirements.  A CoA would show matching numbers.  All good!

20151103_094424_zpstlddgs4b.jpg

Thanks.  I cant stop looking at it.  It drives so smoothly and the gears shift perfectly.  Quite fast too with its balanced upgraded (internally) motor. Lots of fun ahead cleaning and polishing ... It comes with about $5000-$8000 worth of spare parts as well. 78K original kms.  Lucked out

Have started replacing various rubber seals.  Doors, hood, windows and so on.  The originals were just too far gone.  Looking around for some stone guard headlight protectors in either mesh or the slotted type, if anyone has any they don't need?

Decided to keep the original carpets at this stage even though there is some wear on the sides near the doors. Elsewhere is fine.  I will be selling the VGC spare 356B engine lid with the twin grilles intact, that I inherited. 

Yes Lee - my immediate objective is to get the paint into the best nick with cleaning and polishing I can then clean the interior further.  The carpet will not be replaced anytime soon.  I like the smell!

Still haven't received any letter of confirmation of my Australian 356 Registry membership, since posting all the details and payment.  Seems a long process.

Should be a good parade in Melbourne.

Have spend the day stripping the interior and cleaning ...

Nice original floor pan.

New 'plates arrived!

Tried to attach URL from Photobucket but it does not seem to work

URL]URL]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  That's what I put in it today.  Oil in there was old and sludgy.  Also replaced brake fluid, all flexible lines, bleeder screws, cleaned hard lines, de-glazed the brake shoes and adjusted drum drag and greased the drum to backing plate points and repacked steering box.  Messy work but made a huge difference.  The old drum brakes work surprisingly well now they are cleaned and adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you get parts for 356's in Australia (aside from an OPC).  I want a set of rear brake shoes/pads for the drum brakes. 

Also does anyone have spare/used muffler for a 356B?

Not had a 356 , bit any vintage stuff I use Penrite Transoil 90 …real good stuff , great for the older seals and bearing types and have run in a high performance vintage build on a bike and runs up to 9000 rpm and no problems at all …and for many years …  You can order it at Autobahn of you can find it .. 

Many of the new oils have too many addictives 

Enjoy … Have liked reading your thread Merv

Archived