New 356 in QLD

Merv

I have bought a 356C (T-6) from a well known identity in Adelaide and will be bringing it up over the next couple of weeks.  It is a low mileage very original car in all respects (paint, carpets, seats)  and is a real time capsule.  It will be cleaned and preserved, as much as possible, by me.  A nice companion for my 68 911!  I would like to upload a couple of photos but the 10kb limit would cause shortsightedness ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Lee. I saw your post and then became worried as enquirers started jumping in as I was negotiating.  I had to move fast.  One of those wanting to buy the car seemed to be the original owner from 1962-72.  The current owner had the car for 43 years and has lavished maintenance on it ever since and used it when he could. Original mileage is only 70k. The car comes with a rare factory Travel/Rally kit, spare Bosch lights, original workshop manual, owners books, original wheels and hubcaps, and a ton of other spares. The motor was rebuilt in 1974 to SC spec and fully balanced from flywheel to crank pulley. It revs well past the tacho red line reportedly.

I will bite bullet and start another photo bucket account and put up some pics.  Thanks Chris.

Awesome mate, congrats on the purchase of a very cool car. So glad someone here bought it, as there was an older gent and his wife calling the owner (heard him say the line was busy) as I was taking the photos, then I sent them to Chris 

Knew it wouldnt hang around too long

Great buy .. I spoke to the owner too , had emailed for more pictures but its sounds like a great guy got the car first and purchased from a great guy who has owned it for a long time.. sounds like a gem and now having seen the photos looks like a gem 

Enjoy  :)

Yep, thats the one I posted on here the other day. Great looking thing up close

20151017_092751.jpg

Lee  great job posting …if you see any more ..let us all know .. was truely a nice find and a great way to see something that wasnt on carsales..for a change .. job well done 

Just sharing the love ;) I was obsessed with this 356 though

I always see cars on the side of the road on my travels, so I leave a note if it looks unloved or whatever

* Just realised, the bloke behind the car in that photo is the one that was calling the owner

A lot of serendipity in these things ... many thanks. There was also a dealer who turned up and became angry reportedly when he couldn't buy it on the spot.  Glad I wasn't there.  Thanks again Chris!

My intention with the car is preservation, as much as possible.  The Sony cassette player will have to go, so I will probably be looking for a blanking plate there. Restoring the original paint as much as possible has been a source of reading and I came across the excellent thread on Hemmings http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/11/28/detailing-tips-for-vintage-single-stage-paint/  The alternative is Dirty Deeds, the Bowden's company here that does this kind of job.

Then to remove the seats and carpet for cleaning and any extra corrosion protection needed.  Then degreasing the suspension, steering  and drive train ...

All ahead.  It leaves Adelaide tomorrow in covered transport and should be here later next week, for the drive to the Sunshine Coast.

I am trying to do that now. They have no online process it seems (except for overseas applicants) and even though I downloaded the form completed it, scanned it, and emailed it in with my Visa details, that won't work I am told.

I need to go to the Post Office and get a Money Order (who keeps Cheque books these days?) and post my application to Melbourne ...

Hopefully will get there in the end.  I have spoken with QLD reps and they seem very active and a nice bunch.

I am trying to do that now. They have no online process it seems (except for overseas applicants) and even though I downloaded the form completed it, scanned it, and emailed it in with my Visa details, that won't work I am told.

I need to go to the Post Office and get a Money Order (who keeps Cheque books these days?) and post my application to Melbourne ...

that should be copied to "what's putting a smile on my dial" thread. Too funny.

Archived