Best Oil

eoghanroe

Prepare to continue to receive mixed messages is my advice!:D

My other advice is just use whatever you think best as I haven't been able to find any definitive evidence it matters.  You may find this equally useful, reassuring and amusing:

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/4201-911-engine-oil-preference/?do=findComment&comment=126299 

I don't think there is such a thing as the "best" oil. It comes down to using a good oil and changing it regularly, like ever 5K. I do know what my Mechanic uses in all the air cooled engines he builds and services. My engine seems to stay at a constant lower temperature for longer since Liqui moly was put in.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1390.html?Opendocument&land=de

Also my mad mate Jonno, who you can see giving his car a hiding on the Motorkhana thread uses Penrite HPR30, and has been for years. I think his treatment of a air cooled engine is a testament to how tough they are and the oil he uses. 

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_viscosity=118&id_products=4

Apparently vegetable oil is no good now, so I would go with Olive oil  :P

Try grape seed oil. It's able to withstand hotter temps so it's perfect for high performance driving. B)

btw Penrite HPR30 for me too.  Slippery enough and has plenty of zinc for the old-timer flat tappets.

See the other thread on oil. I put a 'modern' synthetic oil in, then had doubts gnawing away that I did the wrong thing.  Even though it is probably fine.

so I dropped that oil and put in old fashioned hpr30.  Gnawing went away and happiness returned. Druck was better as well, which is source of gnawing.

so chalk up another vote for hpr30.

Thanks Pauly,

I've updated my earlier referenced summary to include HPR30 for completeness:

Thick and ZDDP is Best – This enclave sees engine oil as simply a combination of viscosity and zinc based anti-wear additives and are happiest with either a 20W-50 or a 10W-60 and an absolute minimum ZDDP content of 1200ppm.  Most likely encountered on American forums where they use fear as their best tool of persuasion and reference the destruction of “flat tappets” engines as solely related to “thin oils” and the reduction of ZDDP in the ILAC requirements and infer this is the reason some 911 engines pit their cam lobes.  The fact that ILAC requirements only affect Xw-30 and under viscosity grades doesn’t seem to register

Generally there is no reference to API, let alone ACEA or any of the manufacturer oil approvals.  They think HTHS is a kind of long lasting milk and also love antidotes about the failure of particular engines that someone who knew someone else’s friend had because the oil was “to thin”.  I reckon it would be great to be a member of this group as life is simple as everything is black or white with no room or need for grey here.

Favourite oils are Valvoline VR 20w-50, Brad Penn 20w-50 and Mobil 1 Vee Twin 20w-50 and they will go to extraordinary lengths to obtain these brands due to the mythical attributes these oils bring to their engines.   Penrite HPR30 is also a favourite brew locally.

Archived