Electronic rust inhibitors

HECTOR

Hi all,

Just wonder what people think of the electronic rust inhibitor gadgets that are on the market and are relatively cheap to buy.The ones that have several leads that attach to various parts of the chassis and panel work to "stop rust".I spoke to a guy a few years ago who worked in the mines in WA as a deisel machanic and he said that most of the companies vehicles have them and he swears by them.I believe that from 1976 all 911's were hot gal dipped but there still are so many that ive seen have some form of rust.

Anyone got any good or bad experiences?

regards

Phil

Hey Phil,

What is the science behind these gadgets?

Hi Doug,

The device is hooked up to the battery and sends an electrical current thru numerous leads attached to several parts of the cars chassis and panels.This apparently stops the formation of rust.....Apparently.

• 1 year later...

They work on whats referred to as a sacrificial anode principle. The same technique has been used on outboard motors like mecury's for many years. The idea is you run a current through all the metal with an anode attached that is a metal that easily sheds electrons. So rather than the more valuble metal ie the outboard oxidizing, the anode sheds electrons and dissolves over time, preventing the rest of the metal from sheding electrons and therefore oxidizing(rusting). The Mercury motors have an aluminium block(the anode) at the base, that is replaceable.

I used one of these systems on my old car but I ended up having an issue with it ruining my front bumper. The current caused lines to appear in the chrome on my bumper and ended up damaging the chrome. The problem was the bumper became a sacrificial anode due to proximity of the real anode and being a dissimilar metal(the plating) to the steel of the car. Cars with extensive use of metals like aluminium may make these systems unsuitable, as the aluminium may act as an a anode with dire consequences.

Great idea for an all steel mining truck or an outboard motor but I would not go near my Porsche with one

peace

Cyberpunky

there was an extensive thread on this on another forum i'm on, ended up with a manufacturer of a system coming on and everyone debunking the science.

i don't think they're worth it imho.

The specific technology works as described in specific applications. This technology is used in reinforced concrete in damn walls and works as designed to prevent the reinforcing metal from oxidizing, but automobiles are another kettle of fish. Too many poor electrical connection like door hinges, dissimilar metals, etc.to be of much use. On a mining truck they may work if used on the dump bed(?) that due to its task, would be impossible to protect via paint.or other conventional methods.

I personally know of an allow boat that had the outboard one, yet still managed to develop several holes in the bottom. I think at best it's an uncertain technology prone to unwanted consequences.

Whenever I hear about things like this, I ask myself : why do no manufacturers use this technology on new cars?

Unless the answer for that is 'cost' or perhaps 'reliability' then you're probably looking at snake oil. Perfect example is the 'vortex generators' and other performance improving or fuel-saving devices. You'd wonder why companies like BMW spend millions on stop/start technology to save maybe 5% of petrol on a good day, when all they need is a plastic device in the intake air. The engineers at these companies are patently not stupid.

The memory of Brocky remains unsullied.

It is called cathodic protection, in another life / another industry I saw it in use protecting steel 400mm jet fuel pipelines. These have plastic-type outer layers to protect from damage & corrosion. The plethora of dissimilar metal in cars presents another problem.

Stay cool and drink heaps today.

rEd

there was an extensive thread on this on another forum i'm on, ended up with a manufacturer of a system coming on and everyone debunking the science.

i don't think they're worth it imho.

Re the above - i did some looking into this as well and came up with the above sentiment.

BTW SuperCheap has a promo on fish oil - 3 large cans for $8. Im just going to go nuts spraying around known problem areas over the next few weeks as a preventative - in this heat i really hope its de-oderised as i have not read the can properly otherwise look out Fish Munger Doish.

Energy Polariser ring a bell?

It was a cryptic reference.

It's a great old yarn, the Brock/Holden split. I'm guessing the polariser was the straw that broke a camels back and deeper issues were already under the surface. But to have such a major schism in the most successful driver/manufacturer pairing in Australian motorsport history on the back of what most considered to be new age nonsense. I bet polarized cars will be the ones worth the most in the future just because of the almost unbelievable story attached.

It was a cryptic reference.

It's a great old yarn, the Brock/Holden split. I'm guessing the polariser was the straw that broke a camels back and deeper issues were already under the surface. But to have such a major schism in the most successful driver/manufacturer pairing in Australian motorsport history on the back of what most considered to be new age nonsense. I bet polarized cars will be the ones worth the most in the future just because of the almost unbelievable story attached.

yes the polariser and the fact he said it enabled you to run the tyres at 22 psi :rolleyes:

The device is hooked up to the battery and sends an electrical current thru numerous leads attached to several parts of the cars chassis and panels.This apparently stops the formation of rust.....Apparently.

Once upon a time, cars had a positive earth system - the positive terminal of the battery was connected to the vehicle's chassis or bodywork.

As I understand it, the change to negative earth was done largely to use the battery as a sort of "electron source". From my high school chemistry, oxidation reactions (of which rusting is one) are accompanied by a loss of electrons, so providing "extra" electrons helps to combat rust.

I could be wrong though...I'm not positive, it's just a bright spark that I had, and these ideas may not be current.

Re the above - i did some looking into this as well and came up with the above sentiment.

BTW SuperCheap has a promo on fish oil - 3 large cans for $8. Im just going to go nuts spraying around known problem areas over the next few weeks as a preventative - in this heat i really hope its de-oderised as i have not read the can properly otherwise look out Fish Munger Doish.

Should get you a spot at the shopping centre - people will smell you coming a mile away ! :wacko:

Worth exploring this topic, anyone know someone who can add enlightenment to the chemistry of all this?

Bad puns excused.

Cheers

rEd

I am a little busy right now (Read sitting in a meeting pretending to listen to people rattleing on about something I have no interest in) but in short think of a big steaming pile of horse dung covered in snake oil.

The technology is sound but it depends on the application. In cars I would not go near one again but in a fibreglass boat, extending the life of your out board motor it works as designed. In damns all over the world it is keeping ppl down river safe by protecting the steel reinforcement in the concrete dam wall. If the steel rusts(and therefore weakens) then the structural integrity of the concrete is reduced/compromised.

I'll try and explain as simply as I can. The technology is fairly straight forward in that oxidisation(in our case rust) is caused by the metal shedding electrons, allowing it to be converted from steel to oxidised steel. As electricity, like water, takes the path of least resistance, then the electrons will be shed where it is easiest. By running a current through the steel(making it the cathode and hence the name cathodic protection) you are trying to protect, and placing sacrificial blocks(anodes) of a metal the shed electrons easier, exposed to the air, it is the anodes that dissolve, preventing oxidisation in the steel. The blocks are replaced as required but the protected metal remains intact.

Bottom line is that due to poor electrical connections, use of many dissimilar metals, this technology is not suitable for cars like ours IMO

After writing the above I wiki'd it and found this which explains it possibly simpler/better than my attempt :)

hope it helps

peace

Cyberpunky

Great explanation and wiki link Cyber-P.

Below is a quote from Wiki (of course it must be 100% true and correct as it is on the internet). Certainly supports Uncle's "steaming pile of horse dung covered in snake oil" theory!!!

"Automobiles

Several companies market electronic corrosion control devices for automobiles and trucks. The systems are not effective [33] and in 1996, the FTC in the USA fined David McCready and ordered him to pay $200,000 in consumer redress and stop marketing and selling his “Rust Evader" electronic[34][35][36]"

Archived