914-6 GT Schmuck

No clear timeframe

No deep race aspirations - presently

No detailed build plan - yet - though as per title, GT is of more than a little interest. How GT, as opposed to odd looking fast car to drive to get macchiato 'harry' slow moving 911's and or occasional track day is yet full realised.

Need everything to undertake a 6 conversion. and more.

Am collecting parts still as availability and budget allows . So if you know of have or stumble across send me a PM

What do I have ? 73 914 RHD converted (well) approx. 20 years ago. It had new paint (silver yawn) a new leather interior (never installed) new wiring loom and miscellanea. Never saw the road again. Paint has suffered some vagaries over the years of been shunted around a workshop and more recently spending sometime outside. Shell is very sound and have not seen any evidence of rust aside form the surface rust in the tunnel floor pan due to it been pushed outside the workshop  and not properly covered. BUT it seems all the usual suspect areas are good. More on that later

Motor is kaput, gearbox not appropriate for use in my application.

What do I have:

• Tidy RHD shell.
  • rebuilt 915 with flipped pinion Quaife LSD 8:31
  • new bf Torino 914 specific seat 
  • Refurbished 914-6 (side) shift rod, linkages etc
  • Monster nasty motor 2.7 PMO ITB's, bits of titanium and GT3 things with SCART 
  • a nice set of new UK minilites 15 x 8,10's - though dictates a limited tyre selection. Anyone got some TB's spare?

image.jpg10.jpg

image_301.jpg

image_51.jpeg

As per my currently stalled TANGent adventure http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/7051-tangent/ happy to take advice, ideas and a general drubbing.

Lets storyboard this together.

021_1.jpg

020_1.jpg

019_1.jpg

018_2.jpg

014_2.jpg

013_2.jpg

011_1.jpg

012_2.jpg

005_3.jpg

009_2.jpg

010_1.jpg

006_2.jpg

025_2.jpg

029_1.jpg

028_1.jpg

image_300.jpg

Nice project. That engine looks sexy!

hi Jeff I've been backwards and forwards about this car for around 6 rears. Meanwhile market caught up with the asking price.... Though in my search for one,  came across some interesting cars here and o/s. Looking backwards should have bought a cheap dealer built 914-6 GT or any of the amazing GT tribute cars I've seen. Almost did last year, though the seller... Never mind .... Even over the weekend was offered a balls out SCCA maybe IMSA raced pukka 914-6 with dealer fitted factory m471 pack. Running a twin plug 65 engine case built up to be a 2.8 RSR thing. But dollar value and its spec makes it pretty much an orphan here and not much fun to drive on the roads.

Here is sound clip of my motor as installed in PO's 911 https://vimeo.com/107364119

I reckon a bit more than halfway through this project you may be using that rusty razorblade sitting on the roof in pic 2.

hi Barry good pick up and thanks for the insight. 

Gearbox options any opinions or alternates to the following;

915 with lsd etc

Flipped g50?

subie box ;) 

boxster

other...?

That sounds AWESOME! More details on the engine please? Is it a 2.4 case taken out to 2.7? It looks like I will be rebuilding my 2.7, so I need some ideas.

Jeff the following describes the original build in 2009 when this motor was for sale in the US . I remember that ad from then. 

was bought in 2011? By a melburnian who couldn't get it running ideal. Harry bought it and did more head work and installed the PMO's 

In 2009 it was as described with the motec and trick varioram. Subsequently had PMO ITBS fitted and motec swapped for wolf and other work done to it .

I bought it as is last year. At the same time there was another engine twin plug hottie that popped up and avail in the same week. Nostalgia won out.

it's built on a 67 alum case. I expect some of you will try and date me after reading... 

As described in 2009
This proven one-of-a-kind motor has been freshly rebuilt from the crank up by PCA National Technical Committee member and ex-Bayside Racing Porsche mechanic Chris Powell of Bellevue, WA. Brand New. Zero Hours. No expense was spared in producing this very powerful yet fully drivable Varioram intake Motec EFI programmed 911 flat six. 

270 flywheel HP at 6600 rpm and 230+ Ft. Lb. of Torque at 4250 rpm with Elgin 993 non-hydraulic Sport Cams. Over 290 HP can be achieved at 7600 rpm with 314/304 Race Cams. Records and testimonials available. Fully tested and sorted over four years. Super reliable. This 1-year build custom motor is complete and ready to install in your 911 today. Fits 2.7L race categories and sounds awesome - higher pitched than a 2.8 RSR engine. This motor includes the following installed items: 

Motec M48 Engine Management: Fully optioned and optimized Motec EFI with wide band lambda, advanced fuel and ignition tuning, and logging, plus Motec IEX Ignition Expander feeding 12 individual Nippon-Denso coils near plugs with integral ignitor. Motec M48, IEX and harness installed, terminated and programmed by Chris Powell, factory trained and authorized Motec Dealer. Flexible maps for sport or race cams are provided to ensure perfect drivability, no stumbling and maximum safe horsepower and timing at all RPMs (over 50 hours of expert dyno, track and road tuning invested). Comes complete with PC laptop computer, Motec program, manual, interface, and all EFI maps 

Varioram Induction ('98 993 Intake): Variable length intake runners adapted to early 911 heads with CNC billet aluminum injection couplers and 944 Turbo (951) fuel injectors. Fully tested to produce maximum torque over a broad power band (over 200 Ft. Lb. from 3300 to 6600 RPM with sport cams). 

Custom Pauter Titanium Rods: (33% lighter than chrome moly)

Custom Pauter flowed 2.4 MFI Twin Plug 911 Heads: Modified for 51 I/42.5 E valves with flowed/matched 42/40 ports (HP plus torque). Gorgeous. 

1967 Aluminum 911 Case: (strongest available for this motor) Case is fully machined, piston squirted, oil modified, and boat-tailed with GT3RS Oil Pump. Other parts installed: Custom Pauter knife-edged, cross-drilled and beveled edge long stroke crankshaft, NASCAR rod bearings, Mahle Nikasil 2.7L cylinders, Custom JE 90mm lightweight short skirt triple-coated pistons, 11:1 measured and verified compression ratio (safe with Motec sport map timing and 91 octane street gas), Lightweight wrist pins, Custom 51/42.5 Titanium valves, Titanium retainers, Aasco race springs, Polished rockers, 993 Sport cams, Turbo valve covers, ARP head studs, Carrera engine oil cooler, Carrera tensioners, Shuffle pinned Carrera chain housings, new chains and starter, and much more. Every critical part magnafluxed, micro-polished and balanced before assembly. This motor moves a lot of air and spins up very quickly! RPM limit can be pushed to 8500 safely. 

The Rest: 1973 911 RSR flywheel (well secured), Sachs Sport 915 clutch, Carrera fan and fan housing, India red shroud, Carbon fiber block off plates, Clewett serpentine race pully/fan belt with custom Motec trigger sensor, RSR style motor mounting crossbar, 1 5/8" European Racing headers with lambda sensor, Monty dual-in/dual-out sport muffler, and custom sheet tin - all installed by Chris' German Auto Service in Bellevue, WA. 

Easily converted to GT3 injectors and individual throttle bodies if you want to go REALLY crazy. Add a wild cam and you will hit well over 300 hp with insane throttle response.

Multiple class wins: 2006 Winner: NW Regional PCA Auto X Series - MO Class, 2006 Winner: SCCA Solo2 NW National Tour - FP Class, 2006 Trophy: National PCA Porsche Parade Auto X

If you want a brand new, no excuses, all the bugs worked out, ready-to-go hot rod 911 motor that is fully Motec programmed and spins up (and down) faster than any flat six motor under 3L, this is it. Just plug and play - street or track. A one-of-a-kind super responsive air-cooled motor that sounds like a Ferrari.

Great link harvs. The yellow 914/6 SCCA race car on eBay located in QLD a fortnight back was a great buy if you wanted such a thing. At first I thought it'd yield everything I needed, to a point yes - engine,  box some suspension. At a bargain price. But would have ruined a great race car.

was offered last week a pukka 9146 dealer built GT that raced SCCA and possibly IMSA. 

Thiugh as I'm not going racing again it seemed to extreme in its build for my use . Thiugh what a great car

then 

image_17.jpeg

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

now

image_20.jpeg

QLD carimage_22.jpeg

image_23.jpeg

image_21.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

So missed out on Dougs good wheel deal, due to my dill dally waiting for some wheel refinishing advice, but was today able and lucky enough to acquire a new set of 15 x  8, 10 minilites, made in the UK. Anyone got some no longer needed Michelin TB's or Avons....

image.jpg10.jpg

next big item on the punt for is a gearbox.

Gearbox located. not bought yet, but located... built for a V8 conversion: 915, flipped pinion, new quaife Lsd, very overdriven 5th, many new internals  not entirely. Built 14 yrs ago never used. Dry stored no oil. 

Having it Inspected before purchase 

Any thoughts on value? 

Stage 2 of box is ensure all healthy gearing matched to engine and save some pennies for WEVO bits. The box has the real potential to cost as much if not more than the purchase of the car.:wacko:

wevo http://www.wevo.com/Products/TransmissionProducts/WevoTransmissionProducts-External_915SideShift.htm

Is that yellow qld car for sale? I have seen it once at the local track getting loaded onto the trailer. Looked and sounded awesome.

Anyway, good luck with the build. I love 914's, they are very cool. I wish they were as cheap and plentiful here as they are in the states, as I would love to build a mean little track car.

Have you seen this crazy build thread on Rennlist? 914 with a planned 1000hp turbo cayenne V8! :o

http://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6-forum/745496-porsche-914-8-gtt-the-build-begins.html

So missed out on Dougs good wheel deal, due to my dill dally waiting for some wheel refinishing advice, but was today able and lucky enough to acquire a new set of 15 x  8, 10 minilites, made in the UK. Anyone got some no longer needed Michelin TB's or Avons....

image.jpg10.jpg

next big item on the punt for is a gearbox.

Michel, where did you buy the Minilites from?

• 3 weeks later...

Another puzzle piece sorted . 915 Gearbox is been crated and sent to DR EVIL who is now located in Ohio. Mike will inspect it and let me know if the orig build done 10 years ago is good.  Pretty happy as even with exchange rate and shipping it'll still beat any local pricing. on the hunt for the WEVO parts now and the front rear suspension and brake upgrade components. Again been offered an amazing deal from the states, though might see if I can get the parts local first.

PS Mike Lesniak aka Dr Evil is thinking of running a clinic out here ( again). it's been a long suffering conversation had with him over the last 3.5 years. 

image_301.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A seat acquired. Though not sure on Blk cord, just sent a txt to fingers asking for some of MW's old flanniesimage_51.jpeg

Is that yellow qld car for sale? I have seen it once at the local track getting loaded onto the trailer. Looked and sounded awesome.

Anyway, good luck with the build. I love 914's, they are very cool. I wish they were as cheap and plentiful here as they are in the states, as I would love to build a mean little track car.

Have you seen this crazy build thread on Rennlist? 914 with a planned 1000hp turbo cayenne V8! :o

http://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-6-forum/745496-porsche-914-8-gtt-the-build-begins.html

Timm apologies yes the yellow 914 had been through a couple of owners in the last 2-3 years. Sold again approx 3 mths back 

Interesting you're going with a 915.  I spent a long time researching this issue with the following conclusions:

• Whilst the 915 is ultimately stronger (the main reason you'd use it), the 901 is 'strong enough' for most of what the 914 would be used for.  I had many conversations with John Williamson (Otto of Otto's Venice) when he was alive.  He commented that a popular 914 configuration at the time was to use Chevy V8s with the 901 box which worked well and was generally reliable.  The major problem as we know is that 1st gear hangs out the back of the box and is unsupported.  Big torque tends to shear off the end of the shaft so the Chevy guys simply dispensed with 1st gear.  When I was thinking of fitting a stonking 2.9, this concerned me a bit so I discussed the matter with Richard at PR Tech who designed a block with a bronze bearing surface that supports the end of the shaft.  As long as the box is built with the right bits the strength argument for not using it becomes moot IMHO.
  • The two reasons why you would use a 901 are:
    • Weight - I don't know the exact weights of these but I do know I can lift a 901 from floor to bench easily but struggle with a 915.  I shudder to think of what a G50 is like!  If you're building a road car, the issue is largely irrelevant, but for pure competition it's a major issue.
    • Shift action - Properly set up, a (side shift) 901 is a joy to use - certainly better than even the best 915.  This was an important issue for a 2L pea-shooter engine with a narrow power band in tarmac rallies where all 5 gears are used - less so for a road car.

Ultimately, I suspect the cost of building either box is probably similar - even with the Wevo stuff for the 915.  I have north of $20k invested in my 901 :(.

Still waiting for Dr. Evil to show - I have a spare 901 which would make a great demo candidate...

Hi mark 

valid points you raise and I very much agree with your half thought on the G50.  The 901/915 are competition evolved boxes. The 901 very obviously so.

the G50 is a behemoth and if I was to really consider that I'd likely install a subie box. Yes the G50 shifts, yes everyone thinks it's the 'box' to have, in reality it's a mobster. 

My decision (915) was made as the box I was offered is so far costing 2700usd. New quaife LSD, bearings, gears etc.. Not 100% all new but close. 

Even with X- change and shipping I'm ahead. It's the next steps with the extent of while I'm there WEVO mods that may make the above null n void ?

Interested to know more about the PR bearing block you described. Have a cpl of northerly trips due including a catch up with MFX. Would enjoy a catch up also 

cheers. 

P.S Having owned and driven cars with all three and a sporto - do have a soft spot for the 901

• 1 year later...

Lifes distractions.

Just acquired a host of additional parts out of the U.S. xchange rate woeful. 

AA steel FLARES

Custom steel flared sill ends - MEPSTEIN. Great cottage product if anyone considering all steel GT body

6 appearance group parts

Another 915 box

15 x 7, 8 , 9  inch Fuchs 

6 oil tank 

oil lines 

oil console

coolers 

6 engine mount 

struts hubs, calipers for 5 lug concersion

GT cage 

GT strengthening kits 

other miscellanea 

now have been offered a 914 with a six in it. If the deal goes through will be selling my 914 and some of the parts accumulated either as a package or, separately. Noting I'll keep parts to do GT body conversion.

may also consider sale of my hottie motor though dependent on the other car and  mechanical condition

if anyone having furtive 914 6 GT fantasies ,  are welcome to call me and discuss. Though as suggested nothing definitive

• 6 months later...

steamer trunk  in San Diego almost full of GT and S4 parts soon destined for the port of Los Angeles... 

will have surplus porsche bits  fuchs 915 box and other parts up for grabs February ish 

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2016 at 9:54 PM, michel said:

Great link harvs. The yellow 914/6 SCCA race car on eBay located in QLD a fortnight back was a great buy if you wanted such a thing. At first I thought it'd yield everything I needed, to a point yes - engine,  box some suspension. At a bargain price. But would have ruined a great race car.

was offered last week a pukka 9146 dealer built GT that raced SCCA and possibly IMSA. 

Thiugh as I'm not going racing again it seemed to extreme in its build for my use . Thiugh what a great car

then 

image_17.jpeg

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

now

image_20.jpeg

QLD carimage_22.jpeg

image_23.jpeg

image_21.jpeg

I ended up with these green now Silver GT. It has turned out to be a very fun car

11 hours ago, Jmz said:

I ended up with these green now Silver GT. It has turned out to be a very fun car

Dude .. very cool !!!!!!!!

any current pics . How’s the engine performing .. the spec on this car and. The little history I gleaned Uber cool 

Archived