Hi there,

New member; Greg Foord is the name, Aeronautical Engineer and long time admirer of the marque.

Also a hopeful first time owner in the immediate future. At present I am overseas (earning money for car :o) ), but am posted to Adelaide on my return.

My current plan is to find a very nice 944S2 as my first Porsche and see where it goes from there. Ultimate goal would be an early 911.

Car wise I currently have a '07 Golf GTi and have been lurking around the rally world for a number of years. Competed in Targa Tasmania in 1996 (parked next to Peter Fitzgerald and his 968 Turbo at Davenport Silverdome). Would like to return to Targa one day, maybe in an early 944.

I am keen to find out more about 944 owners experiences, escpecially from an Australian point of view. I have been reading the Pelican and 944online forums for some time, but am concerned that their experiences and solutions to issues may not be the same here in Oz.

Many thanks

Greg Foord

Hi Greg,

Welcome to PFA and a lively bunch of fellas we are too... mostly, well sometimes on a good day and after plenty of coffee.

You can do no better than a sweet 944S2, in fact, $4$ I reckon they are a bargain. Good speed, overbraked, handling is tops, well mannered, useful. Need I say more?

Mostly whatever you read on any US forums is the same here, except when they start describing parts on the driver's side of the car and we go scratching around on the wrong side.

Cheers

rEd

Myred911,

Many thanks for the welcome. The S2 is sounding better and better as an option.

To those that have already pointed me in the direction of cars (Thank particularly to Felix), I really appreciate it but, please note, I am overseas until May next year on a UN deployment in Africa and am not in a position to buy until my return.

I don't want this to sound like one of those scams "I am on a oil rig blah, blah, blah"

At this stage, advice and general chatter about Porsches will keep me sane here.

Hopefully on leave in January, I will be visiting the Porsche Museum for the second time (I should drop some photos in here)with a friend who recently moved to Italy and has a very nice 928S (he had a very nice 928 manual back in Canberra but had to move it on when he moved to Italy, I almost grabbed it but was posted to this deployment).

Cheers

Greg Foord

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Keep your head down around the UN, hopefully your experiences are better than mine were as an Australian Soldier serving with the UN!

I have a 944S2 that I purchased in April and I love it, as Myred911 has said is stops, goes, and handles very well. It is easy to drive with lots of torque and a brilliant enough chassis to leave a lot of other more powerful and more expensive cars in your dust when the road gets tight and twisty.

My ultimate goal is to buy an immaculate 3.2 litre turbo body Carrera (one day, kids to educate, mortgage, etc), but I am certainly enjoying every minute of the 944 experience. I'm sure you will too if you go that way when you come back to Australia.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Many thanks, am keeping head right down and thinking of getting home and car shopping. Access to things like carsales makes life interesting, although the lack of S2 cars is an issue.

I notice that a guy in Sydney wants $50000 for an early car (a little aspirational I think).

Perfect car for me atm would be a mechanically good S2, with a crap interior and (maybe) poor paint..... That would be a good base for a repaint and RS lightening job...

A spare cylinder head that I can send to my Ex Cosworth Head genius to wave his magic on would be nice.

Holiday plans are now: Drive from Italy to Stuttgart in 928S (friends car) to visit various musuems (Porsche of course, plus some of those lesser known brands).....

Cheers

Greg

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

Well finally found and bought a car.

1989 944S2, red, M030 brakes, Bilstein suspension also a set of Cup replica wheels.

Looking forward to picking the car up and going for a few drives through the hills around my place.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

Congratulations. Think I know the car you bought,if I am right it was from Ballarat ?

If you want any parts in the future ( not that you will need them ) give me a PM.

Enjoy the ride, they are a great drive !

Cheers,Mark.

Mark,

Yes that's the car. Hard decision as there was another car in blue, very similar etc.

I got to drive the car I bought and was very impressed. Owner also very pleasant to deal with.

Thanks to all, it has been a long journey and plenty of changes, including an almost purchase of a 1979 911SC. I arrived back at plan A, after various iterations. I have the budget to fix a few of the very minor cosmetic issues, but the car will never be a concurs queen. It will get driven and driven as it was designed for.

Cheers

Greg

Archived