Interstate car purchase logistics

There more stories you hear the more dubious CEVA seem....!

I've heard good and bad reports mate. I've used them 3 times with no hassles, including my recent purchase from WA

Cheapest freight cost, good service and the tracking was very accurate

Same as many business reviews. One may have the best meal ever in a restaurant and rave about the service, yet then you get very negative reviews from people who have one bad experience

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, picked up my 928 from Ceva yesterday afternoon. It was trucked Brisbane to Melbourne and the train from Melbourne to Perth.

I didn't get home until late yesterday afternoon. Just enough time to throw a bucket of water over the car, take a few happy snaps of day 1, and put her to bed in the garage next to her older brother (only by 1 year).  A couple of minor niggles that I need to iron out to bring it up to my standards but very clean car.  

Anyway, in the interim here are a few photos. I need to get another movement permit and put her over the pits on Monday afternoon and get registration.

09A472E3-D11A-40B9-9AE5-56F11192F624_zps

42491CF8-1D22-45A9-BDEE-73586A225C2E_zps

25C61036-01D6-4153-8B31-C4B5DCB40596_zps

29629D05-556F-4C41-9528-BFBFFE3969D7_zps

3975E525-840B-485A-AC42-08636FBCD089_zps

4F347538-529C-4BE7-89B7-73136F29A185_zps

Looks great, congrats.  You'll love it.  It'll cause you to cry both tears of joy and of frustration!

Re-balances Perf after I "recalled" a 928GTS from there early last year.

Thanks guys.  Hopefully more tears of joy than frustration.

BTW KGB, the steering wheel cover will be the first thing to go :D

Although I like the look of the GTS style wheels I'll be on the lookout at some stage for some original Flat Disc wheels 16" x 7" and 8" if anyone has any laying around.

928-wh5.jpg

Yeah, those flat disks / drain covers pop up all the time, just keep an eye out....if you current cups are genuine...then you'll have money left in your pocket as genuine GTS cups are quite hard to come by ; )

A quick way to tell is offset markings on the rim lip next to the air valve

Keen to see more pics, looks like a gem !!

Hi guys,

Registered my 928 in WA yesterday. I asked for slimline number plates. The nice lady at the Dept of Transport even asked if I had any preferred numbers or letters and found one ending in 928. Win!

Here are a couple of gratuitous photos this morning :D

This car is awesome. I just love to drive it. So smooth. But if you give it the boot it's got a nice roar and a nice kick.

IMG_1109_zpsynov2op9.jpg

IMG_1100_zpszrdbo0wy.jpg

IMG_1097_zpsjv1qvesl.jpg

IMG_1103_zpssqdcpmus.jpg

Hey one question. Is there a button to put down the electric aerial in these things?  The electric aerial seems to go up and down when I turn on the stereo, but not always. I don't like to leave the aerial up or someone will inevitably bend it.

But if you give it the boot it's got a nice roar and a bit of kick.

Hey one question. Is there a button to put down the electric aerial in these things?  The electric aerial seems to go up and down when I turn on the stereo, but not always. I don't like to leave the aerial up or someone will inevitably bend it.

You are now addicted :)

I believe the aerial should go up and down as the radio is turned on - if it is not it may be sticking and in need of a fix? Mine tries to but does not move, I have rarely used since having so no issue, I will most likely disable or remove mine.

Great looking car :D

I'm looking for some advice on my steering wheel. The factory 928 steering wheel leather has worn through on the top of the wheel and is bugging me. The PO had a steering wheel cover, but that is even worse. So I need to come up with a fix.

Here's the interior colour, Marine Blue interior code SX.

cp5416576472330024211_zpsfmqx5gsa.jpg

I've got a few options:

1. replace wheel with another wheel - but I can't seem to find a Marine Blue 928 wheel code 928.347.084.02. Nice wheels seem to sell on fleabay for around US$400, so around $500 aussie.

2. get my existing wheel recovered. Not sure the cost of this but suspect a few hundred $$. I've emailed a couple of upholsterers but no replies so far.

3. I've got a really nice original 928 black wheel. Seen below. I've thought about using the Leatherique Steering Wheel refurbishment kit to dye the black one Marine Blue. Would this work?  The Leatherique Steering Wheel refurbishment kit is about $80 and then another $60 for the Porsche OEM Marine Blue dye, so around $140 all up.  I could swap the Marine Blue horn button from my current wheel over the black one and then dye the rest of the wheel Marine Blue.

IMG_1192_zpsaxv2na04.jpg

I'm tending to think I might give option #3 a crack, but welcome any thoughts and experience if you've been down this route.

I would put the black wheel on and see how it looks, cheapest option and I don't think would look out of place :)

The Leatherique may work but I would be worried that it may wear off? Others who have used would know better?

Not sure where you got prices from, but http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/928Steering.html is a well known Porsche upholstery guy. Or you could look at http://www.classic9leathershop.com/porsche-928gts-928gt-928s4-928s-928/steering-wheel-covered-in-leather-or-alcantara-kit-porsche-928-1978-1995/

A Nice Turbo wheel also looks good on there. I have never really been a fan of the standard 928 wheel, does not suit the style and character of the car, mine is in quite good condition, maybe a leather conditioner will make it look better but one day I may change it.

Good luck

I personally like these wheels http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-usa/928/production-period-1987-1995/front-axle-steering/sports-steering-wheel-without-airbag-in-marine-blue-for-porsche-928-000043163007jx.html

I'm looking for some advice on my steering wheel. The factory 928 steering wheel leather has worn through on the top of the wheel and is bugging me. The PO had a steering wheel cover, but that is even worse. So I need to come up with a fix.

cp5416576472330024211_zpsfmqx5gsa.jpg

I've got a few options:

1. replace wheel with another wheel - but I can't seem to find a Marine Blue 928 wheel code 928.347.084.02. Nice wheels seem to sell on fleabay for around US$400, so around $500 aussie.

2. get my existing wheel recovered. Not sure the cost of this but suspect a few hundred $$. I've emailed a couple of upholsterers but no replies so far.

3. I've got a really nice original 928 black wheel. Seen below. I've thought about using the Leatherique Steering Wheel refurbishment kit to dye the black one Marine Blue. Would this work?  The Leatherique Steering Wheel refurbishment kit is about $80 and then another $60 for the Porsche OEM Marine Blue dye, so around $140 all up.  I could swap the Marine Blue horn button from my current wheel over the black one and then dye the rest of the wheel Marine Blue.

IMG_1192_zpsaxv2na04.jpg

I'm tending to think I might give option #3 a crack, but welcome any thoughts and experience if you've been down this route.

I'm a big fan of that wheel design and I think they feel awesome in the hand.  Especially when you get out of, say, a modern BMW that have stupidly thick wheel rims, they feel really delicate and of-a-period and I'm a fan of the larger diameter and being able to see your gauges.  Personally it would have to be the proper colour and my instinct is you won't have much luck dying it from black.  I reckon find a quality upholsterer and have it recovered in the right leather and recover (pun intended) the costs (some?) by selling the black wheel.  I reckon it will be more than a coupla hunge tho.  For me the steering wheel is crucial to the enjoyment of the car as you see it and touch it all the time you're driving.  Last thing is make sure the recovering will end up looking 100% factory or it will look NQR.

My 2c.  Good luck.  Lovely car.  Jealous.

I've got a few options:

I used a company in the UK called Royal Steering Wheels. They get good press in the various Porsche forums and did an excellent job on my Cayman wheel.

You can either check if they already have a 928 wheel in stock, or send yours in. Not an option for me as I din't have a spare wheel.

You get to choose the type of leather (went Napa) and stitching colour if you like. They even beefed up my wheel with thicker thumb grips, so it was like a better version of the Sports wheel option, which my car did not have.

Workmanship is top notch, and the feeling of gripping a new wheel is great when you have an older car. Not the cheapest route, but I couldn’t find anyone locally that could match the price, and have existing endorsements from other Porsche owners. 

The gallery is all newer models, but there's a quote form on there somewhere. 

Royal Steering Wheels

Thanks for the replies guys.  Less so to you Lee :D

I personally love the factory 928 steering wheel and it's what I'm used to on my 3.2 Carrera as well. 

make sure the recovering will end up looking 100% factory or it will look NQR.

This is one concern I have with getting it recovered, that it might not look 100% factory after spending big bickies on it.

Here's the response from the Leatherique supplier when I asked if you can dye the black wheel to Marine Blue:

"Yes I would use GP thinners or POR-15 Solvent to take off a lot of the black first and the apply multiple thin coats of blue. You don’t have to remove the black but I’ve found it works better if you do.  After removing the black use the Rejuvenator  a few times to re moisturise the wheel, then Prestine Clean before getting into the Prepp and Dye."

I reckon I might give dying the black wheel a go as I know that it will be the factory stitching and leather and using the OEM Porsche Marine Blue colour.

Hmmm......might do a bit more reading first.

Fit black wheel to car.

Try recovering worn wheel to factory specs.

If it works, sell black wheel.

If it doesn't, sell blue wheel.

or (not)

Dye black wheel blue and be unhappy with result.

Recover worn wheel to factory specs.

Have nothing to sell.

Soz.:ph34r:

Maybe ring Gary Blackman in Richmond Vic.

Fit black wheel to car.

Try recovering worn wheel to factory specs.

If it works, sell black wheel.

If it doesn't, sell blue wheel.

or (not)

Dye black wheel blue and be unhappy with result.

Recover worn wheel to factory specs.

Have nothing to sell.

Soz.:ph34r:

Maybe ring Gary Blackman in Richmond Vic.

Thanks KGB. I'd thought of that too.

I'd emailed Gary Blackman a week ago with no reply. Just rang him then.

He can't retrim in factory OEM colour, so his recommendation would be to recover the wheel in dark blue and then dye it with the OEM Marine Blue.  His quote was $400 to retrim it dark blue excluding the horn button (due to the Porsche embossing). Including postage this would be about $460.

Then i would have to die the brand new re trimmed wheel with the OEM Marine Blue colour which is $60 + post for a bottle.

So looking to be around $550 all up. I could recover some of this by selling my nice black wheel.

Now I'm a bit nervous about the thought of putting dye on a brand new re-trimmed wheel.

Nothing is straight forward.

Archived