My BMW 840Ci

So I almost bought a K-series 911... had rust and thought that it needed too much work to make the cost worthwhile.

So I ended up buying this - (possibly) the only manual 840Ci in Australia. It's a NZ personal import (not imported by me).

13119834_10153402825752511_7177653057213

13198430_10153426625962511_3452843961611

12671659_10153249903172511_6786332233044

13217009_10153426623297511_7746736790467

Well that is a classy GT car if ever there was! Cockpit very similar to a 928 , and no doubt effortless highway power. How does it drive?

Pretty good - it does weigh 1.9t though! I came from a 2005 Audi S4 a it's a world of difference when it comes to creature comforts and ease of driving. 

Nice beemer tangcla. Have to say I am a long time lover of those 80's inspired GT coupes such as your 8 series, SEC560 and the 928. Just need to find the right one to buy as so many have been mistreated or modified over the years and those that haven't are asking big money.

Nice beemer tangcla. Have to say I am a long time lover of those 80's inspired GT coupes such as your 8 series, SEC560 and the 928. Just need to find the right one to buy as so many have been mistreated or modified over the years and those that haven't are asking big money.

Yep, totally agree - the number of fked 840Ci and 850i I've looked at have been rather concerning. The purchase price of these vehicles have made them appealing to the masses, but the car is still a complicated machine and requires appropriate attention and service. Something that is often neglected. 

The only other car that is 'affordable' that I have lusted after for years

I looked at a red one many years ago at $22k. Then I was told the service coats.....pass! 

Nice car mate

The only other car that is 'affordable' that I have lusted after for years

I looked at a red one many years ago at $22k. Then I was told the service coats.....pass! 

Nice car mate

It's actually been better than I thought. Mechanically it's the same as a 540i/740i so plenty of parts and resources available. Body and interior pieces is where it gets costly and rare. 

Welcome and nice car! Have admired them and the equivalent Merc CL500 (C215) - probably lean towards the Merc.....

Very rare being a manual. The blue trim looks quite nice. No doubt a bit more luxurious than a 928, but quite similar overall.... :)

Welcome and nice car! Have admired them and the equivalent Merc CL500 - probably lean towards the Merc.....

Very rare being a manual. The blue trim looks quite nice. No doubt a bit more luxurious than a 928, but quite similar overall.... :)

I have better looking popup headlights. ;) ;)

11012812_10153091636032511_1797603221023

It is higher, longer, wider and maybe has a bigger rear seat :)

To be fair only 250kg heavier than a more gizmo laden GTS..... 840 equivalent weight to the Merc CL500. The 928 probably would have grown more too if it continued :ph34r:

What have they put in that makes it 400kg heavier than my old 928? Bodies in the boot?

It's 26cm longer than the 928... and according to Wikipedia, the 928 went up to 1620kg.

From Wikipedia 8-series page: "While CAD modeling allowed the car's unibody to be 8 lb (3 kg) lighter than that of its predecessor, the car was significantly heavier when completed due to the large engine and added luxury items—a source of criticism from those who wanted BMW to concentrate on the driving experience. Some of the car's weight may have been due to its pillarless "hardtop" body style, which lacked a "B" post.

To be fair only 250kg heavier than a more gizmo laden GTS.....

Come here and say that!

Funny though, as one of our cats is Gizmo, and yesterday as I was cleaning the interior of the GTS he was indeed a laden extra lounging on the luggage cover.

It's 26cm longer than the 928... and according to Wikipedia, the 928 went up to 1620kg.

From Wikipedia 8-series page: "While CAD modeling allowed the car's unibody to be 8 lb (3 kg) lighter than that of its predecessor, the car was significantly heavier when completed due to the large engine and added luxury items—a source of criticism from those who wanted BMW to concentrate on the driving experience. Some of the car's weight may have been due to its pillarless "hardtop" body style, which lacked a "B" post.

GTS was up to 1640kg I think.

928s have alloy doors, bonnet and guards too, which would help - the bonnet feels eerily weak when you close it.....

the bonnet feels eerily weak when you close it.....

It weighs 7kg and a child can carry it!

I could pull the electric seats and AC from my 928 and lose about 100kg. But it already goes pretty well so no need to compromise the barge like luxury.

As long as you can spin the back wheels "if required" , all good!

Didn't Hammond have a big Beemer once?

• 4 months later...

The 8 series is a two door 7 series, so the question is not how is it 1.9 ton, but how did they keep it under 2!

there is s guy who shows up to Brisbane cars and coffee with an 8 series, same two tone interior. He seems to pay for all his work and some of the numbers he told me were pretty high but not necessarily Porsche-high.  Def helps if you can do the work yourself.  There is a good diy following on these cars and the engine/trans was stuffed into 5/7/8/x5. 

Archived