Garage floor paint

Hi guys and gals.

Just finished our new home and am considering what to do with the slab surface in the garage? I know you can paint it, but have heard all sorts of things about this.... and have seen it peeling quite badly! Has anyone used something that both looks good and actually lasts while still being driven on and oil spills can easily be cleaned up?

Thanks

Adam,

there is a great thread on Performance Forums that covers this very topic and relates to coating that are readily available in Australia.  My take away is good preparation and use a two part coating.  I recall the kits from Bunnings and Masters work well and easy to source.

i can find that thread for you if interested 

That looks very expensive Lee! And not sure how each tile seals to the next one, looks like water or oil could slip between?? I don't think lino would not stand up to working on cars, jacks, car stands etc. I think a good paint system may be the way to go.

Has to be very cost effective as all monies were spent building the house!! :)

Thanks

No worries mate. I've seen the flooring used, and it is pretty resilient, yet as you say it could allow fluids to seep through etc. I have industrial carpet tiles in my shed, yet I got them for nothing and they do stain pretty easily

Have also seen some pretty funky clear resin's used in garages and home interior floorings. Personally, I wouldnt paint  the floor, as it will eventually scratch if you drag a trolley jack or stands etc

No worries mate. I've seen the flooring used, and it is pretty resilient, yet as you say it could allow fluids to seep through etc. I have industrial carpet tiles in my shed, yet I got them for nothing and they do stain pretty easily

Have also seen some pretty funky clear resin's used in garages and home interior floorings. Personally, I wouldnt paint  the floor, as it will eventually scratch if you drag a trolley jack or stands etc

I hear you Lee, but oil drips/ spills are inevitable and I want to keep it as clean and new looking as possible..... I have thought of just sealing it (clear) but too much crap was spilt on it during construction and not sure how well they work. A compromise is always needed.... :)

Unfortunately outside areas are not level enough for car work......

I could always put felt on the jack wheels  :P

I've seen cheap floor paint lift off in the shape of the tyre tread contact patch. No chemicals involved just hot weather.

Yes I have seen this too, in my last house (rental) this happened. Agree that if it is to be done it is to be done properly.

Cheers

Cheap persian rug knock offs from those carpet places? :-)

Not that these are dodgy or anything untoward

My wife did just that is her last place, well not the Persian rug, but a piece of carpet under the car. Gets pretty dirty though....

For now packing boxes from the house move make do until I sort what to do :)

Here is one I prepared earlier http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/5097-painting-my-garage-floor/

This was actually my first thread on this forum, before I was even close to getting my first P car. Have a look as I went through the whole process. 

I have found it has been great. It has held up really well, and I have dropped things on it and dragged heavy crap over it, and it is still fantastic. There are a couple of very minor little chips near the door, and I am not sure how they happened. It has stood up well for over 18months of abuse now, and I am glad I did it the right way first.

Oil (and petrol if you have seen my videos) haven't marked it. From memory it cost me around $500 or so for the paint, so it wasn't the cheapest method, but I have a big garage, and I didn't want it to lift.

ah...

I got my garage "professionally expoxied"... my garage was older though.. 

When I brought my bike home and put down the side stand, it dragged the epoxy! 

Then I found one area of the floor to be tacky after a few days...

Needless to say, they did it again. But they must have done a shitty job prepping the surface, since the epoxy is peeling up when I use the trolley jack. 

First time I heard the crack, I thought the car was falling down.. turns out it was just the epoxy cracking like hard toffee.

They tell me they sacked the guy that did it, since they had a few issues and have offered to totally grind it clean, and do again, when I am ready. So, after I do my 964, I will get it re done. And hope for a better outcome.

I have Dulux luxa floor epoxy in my main house garage been down for 4 years now and has worn well but  is due for a recoat ,this year ,,,,,Yes it does scratch and will get marks on it even the best industrial coatings wear ,,,,, you have to expect to redo it every 4 to 5 years if you are after a clean show room look .........;)

Archived