2000 Boxster ? rooted

tazzieman

Have been alerted to a local 159km 987 with water in the block ; not fixed  with new heat exchanger.

I suspect a cracked block , and therefore pretty much written off economically.

Opinions? 

Cost of used engine? New engine? Can these be fixed? 

Probably also needs other upgrades.

Feel sorry for the poor girl (owner). 

Is it worth spending that (for a crap shoot) plus freight plus labour for what is essentially a 20 grand car? I mean,  it's going to depreciate further, they are flying past 928 prices now.

What a shame.

Is it a 2.5 or 2.7? Auto or man?

Everything else in good shape?

The 3.2 for sale would help resale. 

Drive one if you haven't already. It may help you decide if you project or own it.

987s are still $30k odd, so economically fixable I would have thought? Surely a new block/ case is not that expensive? Or a used one, scour ebay.co.uk or the US? Has head gasket been ruled out?

Or fit a 928 V8 :)

What a shame.

Is it a 2.5 or 2.7? Auto or man?

Everything else in good shape?

The 3.2 for sale would help resale. 

Drive one if you haven't already. It may help you decide if you project or own it.

All I know at this stage is that it's an S , in VG condition , full service history and it's yellow.

I'm not remotely interested in it (way too modern!) and yes I've driven the various boxsters over the years.

As I see it , without an engine it's worth peanuts down this way. Dragging it to the big island for wrecking will be a grand or two . I spose someone could get a cheap track toy. 

987s are still $30k odd, so ecumenically fixable

Well I am praying for it , lol!

$14k USD for a rebuilt one, say $1K AUD freight so around $20K AUD. I have had the pleasure of driving a few BOXSTERS they have all been fine cars, they don't deserve the "bad" wrap. I would own one(especially if I could find one of those CAYMAN look hardtops they used to sell).

http://www.vertexauto.com/showitem.aspx?&id=293715&name=Porsche Boxster S 3.2 Rebuilt Engine Years 00-04

Someone please save it

Just noticed you say 2000 Boxster then 987? is it 2000 model? Then would be a 986 and bring the value down....

Surely someone in Aus can rebuild cheaper, what ever is wrong with it?

Just noticed you say 2000 Boxster then 987? is it 2000 model? Then would be a 986 and bring the value down....

Surely someone in Aus can rebuild cheaper, what ever is wrong with it?

The info I was given said MY2000 , 987. Which is clearly wrong.

Anyway if anyone wants the lady's contact details , I have them.

Good time to address the IMS :mellow:

Better cars can be had in the low 20's you would have to think it's now a donor car. Shame really but not like the world is going to miss one less Boxter

i googled those Cayman style hardtops - very cool !

It is worth somewhat between $20 and $30k, if it costs $10k to fix it does it really matter what it is worth.....?

Sell as is and get $5k for it and then spend another $25k odd getting what you want? Nuts!

As long as you keep it and love the car, it makes sense. Cars (esp p cars) are so much more than what they are worth. :)

Archived